BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

09-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

BMW Performance Parts Install, Observations

Installed the following "Performance" parts today and would like to share some of my observations:

- Painted reflectors. Piece of cake. Use a towel and something wide and flat to push/pry from the bottom

- Kidney Grills. Used a DIY published here. As many pointed out, the worst clip is the one closest to the headlight, I concur. But do not do it first. Undo the 3 on top then it is a lot easier to deal with the "headlight" clip.

- Side gills. Piece of cake. I used the scotch tape method published here. Just apply some scotch tape to give yourself leverage and wiggle the hell out of it. If you're using anything but your hands (god forbid - screw driver!) - you're doing it wrong.

- Key hole delete. It took me a while to figure out that the access hole to remove the screw is under the door trim (I have a coupe). I felt kinda stupid after looking at the DIY video published here and not being able to locate a plug featured in the video..

- CF Mirror Caps. Piece of cake. Just pull and wiggle. Comes off like a charm. No tools needed.

- CF Spoiler. This one was a bit complicated compared to everything else. I used a DIY published here. You will definitely need a heat gun to do this job. Removing the OEM spoiler was easy, I used a fishing line and a heat gun. But removing glue residue was a bitch. I had stuff called Guff Off from Lowes. It works good as long as there is little glue left. The only problem is that after removing the spoiler there is sh%t load of glue left. I found solution - scrape off some glue and form a glue ball, then use your heat gun to heat the glue on the trunk (inch at a time) and use the glue ball to remove just heated glue. It is a painstaking process and my fingers still hurt, but it works. The glue ball will grow larger Then use the solvent to remove the traces.
Second part was to apply Betalink. Use it sparingly, I used little, but still I think I could have used less. My mistake was that I did not mark the exact location where I want to install the spoiler. After moving it a little to position it where it needs to be I ended up with a bunch of Betalink around the spoiler. This stuff is not fun to clean up. Use AS LITTLE AS possible in the center section looking at it from the rear. That gap is the hardest to clean. And have your blue painters tape handy, you will need it to secure the CF spoiler in place.

I also did CF licence plate frame and M3 valve stem caps. I am done for now Saving money on exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
cghempel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I agree with you on the Performance CF Spoiler install. The center section from the rear was a real pain to clean up (especially since I was working around the tape used to secure the spoiler) and there is still a tiny bit of Betalink visible if you look closely. So to all of you DIYers out there, use Betalink sparingly!

I have had the spoiler on for roughly a month now and I have to say that it is holding up great. Solid as a rock. I do not take my car through automatic car washes so I cannot comment on how it holds up in there (I have always wondered but auto washes are a big no-no for me)

OP: you have a great "first round" of mods on your car. Enjoy and thanks for your comments!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

For some reason, when I called the dealership in Monrovia, CA, which I heard is pure crap but hey, i Just wanted some glue, they tell me that BMW only use strips of adhesive and no betalink. I gave him the part number of the betalink I found on the forums and he said it was the same one? I'm so confused, this betalink stuff aren't strips of tape right? I figure that is what 3M tape is for. He wanted to charge me 25 bucks for strips of tape...absurd!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
For some reason, when I called the dealership in Monrovia, CA, which I heard is pure crap but hey, i Just wanted some glue, they tell me that BMW only use strips of adhesive and no betalink. I gave him the part number of the betalink I found on the forums and he said it was the same one? I'm so confused, this betalink stuff aren't strips of tape right? I figure that is what 3M tape is for. He wanted to charge me 25 bucks for strips of tape...absurd!
Those people dont know what they are talking about. Betalink is a pretty unforgiving automotive glue with the appearance enough to scare general population needless to say it has nothing to do with tape. Do not use tape if you install OEM CF spoiler. I bought my spoiler from Morris BMW and they included betallink at no charge. They've got the best prices too on performance parts
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I used Betalink on my diffuser. Bought that from a dealership. The tape that came with it didn't hold very well, so decided to go stronger. Be prepared, the betalink will get all over the place. Wear latex gloves, and be ready to use the solution.

As for the CF spoiler, I installed mine with 3M double sided tape. You don't need the betalink. If you track a lot, it may or may not come off, but I doubt it. The OEM lip was installed with tape too if you notice that when you remove it. I also didn't use a heat gun. I used 3M adhesive remover, fishing line, and some elbow grease. It worked like a charm. The heat gun might have made it come off a little easier, but there's a greater chance of damage to your paint if you're not very careful. I decided the risk wasn't worth it and got the spray adhesive remover. No issues here...
      10-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
Installed the following "Performance" parts today and would like to share some of my observations:

~snip
I had stuff called Guff Off from Lowes.
~snip
Hey just a word of caution. Goof Off will eat the clear coat. Use it very carefully and with extreme moderation. I don't remember but I think it was Xylol based. Nasty stuff.

You may not even notice if you eat 90% of the clear off of it until that first buffing.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

- Painted reflectors. Piece of cake. Use a towel and something wide and flat to push/pry from the bottom

- Kidney Grills. Used a DIY published here. As many pointed out, the worst clip is the one closest to the headlight, I concur. But do not do it first. Undo the 3 on top then it is a lot easier to deal with the "headlight" clip.

- Side gills. Piece of cake. I used the scotch tape method published here. Just apply some scotch tape to give yourself leverage and wiggle the hell out of it. If you're using anything but your hands (god forbid - screw driver!) - you're doing it wrong.

- Key hole delete. It took me a while to figure out that the access hole to remove the screw is under the door trim (I have a coupe). I felt kinda stupid after looking at the DIY video published here and not being able to locate a plug featured in the video..

- CF Mirror Caps. Piece of cake. Just pull and wiggle. Comes off like a charm. No tools needed.

- CF Spoiler. This one was a bit complicated compared to everything else. I used a DIY published here. You will definitely need a heat gun to do this job. Removing the OEM spoiler was easy, I used a fishing line and a heat gun. But removing glue residue was a bitch. I had stuff called Guff Off from Lowes. It works good as long as there is little glue left. The only problem is that after removing the spoiler there is sh%t load of glue left. I found solution - scrape off some glue and form a glue ball, then use your heat gun to heat the glue on the trunk (inch at a time) and use the glue ball to remove just heated glue. It is a painstaking process and my fingers still hurt, but it works. The glue ball will grow larger Then use the solvent to remove the traces.
Second part was to apply Betalink. Use it sparingly, I used little, but still I think I could have used less. My mistake was that I did not mark the exact location where I want to install the spoiler. After moving it a little to position it where it needs to be I ended up with a bunch of Betalink around the spoiler. This stuff is not fun to clean up. Use AS LITTLE AS possible in the center section looking at it from the rear. That gap is the hardest to clean. And have your blue painters tape handy, you will need it to secure the CF spoiler in place.

I also did CF licence plate frame and M3 valve stem caps. I am done for now Saving money on exhaust
Any pics. I am having trouble finding good pics with the cf spoiler and front splitters. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Any pics. I am having trouble finding good pics with the cf spoiler and front splitters. Thanks.
I do not have splitters. Here are some shots of my minor mods
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #10
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Looks very good! Sharp!
I was undecided on the rear spoiler, but I am now going for it. I wonder how it would look painted white? Just thinking.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Looks very good! Sharp!
I was undecided on the rear spoiler, but I am now going for it. I wonder how it would look painted white? Just thinking.
Thank you

I think painted white it will look great, but I really love the way black and white compliment each other in my car. White body and black grills, mirror caps, spoiler, roof, wheels, tint etc.. to me this is what creates the great look. Sometimes, when I see a black car with everything black on it from wheels to the M3 logo on the trunk, to me it looses part of the beauty. The same holds true for other colors. There has to be a contrast to see the form! IMHO
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5

Quote:

Were you able to get all the betalink off the gap, or you can still see a little betalink?

11 - 12 MW E92 ///M3 ZCP

08 - 11 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
Lies, they installed mine using betalink. They got betalink all over the place I had to talk to the head technician to have them take the car back and clean it. I can still see a little betalink in the gap, but I guess there is no way to avoid that when using betalink?

11 - 12 MW E92 ///M3 ZCP

08 - 11 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

looks great, good job. Its always more satisfying when you can say you did it yourself

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #15
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Turismo View Post
Were you able to get all the betalink off the gap, or you can still see a little betalink?
Well, it was a pita, but i was able to clean it to the point that you really have to try to see betalink. I used included plastic tool, detailing towel and included solvent to clean it off.

Did you have it installed at a BMW dealership? I cant believe that they f$&ed it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
looks great, good job. Its always more satisfying when you can say you did it yourself
Thanks golffrr. I agree, love working on my car. This forum makes it possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep

Thanks man! Gonna be using these tips soon
Appreciate 0