BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

BPM

06-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Red face Calgary - Need help installing..

Side gills

I've looked at all the DIY guides possible on this forum and I still have NO idea how to get this done, I got the front grilles on and reflectors with-in about 30 minutes but these side gills are impossible..

I'll include pictures to show my problems, if there is anyone in the Calgary area that could help me with the installation it would be GREATLY appreciated..

This is what I got from the vendor (Won't mention names in case they forgot to send something)

Next.. I cannot get the metal clips out

Last.. I have NO access to this screw, it is impossible because of the black plastic running across the top of it

Somebody please HELP me

Also it's for a 2011 E92, I know this makes a difference because I do NOT have the honeycomb on the sides like previous model years..

Thanks guys

Last edited by BMW Fanatic; 06-16-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I'll forward your post via email to a friend who did this himself. I'll see if he could help you.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
rt_vanguard
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Alpine Weiss

I have installed them on my 2011. They are a pain to remove but not impossible. I live in the NW part of Calgary and would be more than happy to help/show you how to do it if you would like.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_vanguard View Post
I have installed them on my 2011. They are a pain to remove but not impossible. I live in the NW part of Calgary and would be more than happy to help/show you how to do it if you would like.
Thanks for replying, Rod.

BTW, don't forget to post a pic of your car here

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530491

....recognize the red one in the first page?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azorean View Post
I'll forward your post via email to a friend who did this himself. I'll see if he could help you.
I'm guessing it was rt_vanguard.. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_vanguard View Post
That would be GREAT! I'll send you a PM right now

Edit: I Can't PM you but I will PM Azorean with my number so you can text me, thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
I'm guessing it was rt_vanguard.. Thank you

That would be GREAT! I'll send you a PM right now

Edit: I Can't PM you but I will PM Azorean with my number so you can text me, thanks
Email sent to him. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #7
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

The easiest way to install the side gills is to partly remove the fender liners. I stopped trying to pull on mine for fear of breaking something since I was putting a lot of force on them and they were not releasing.

Here is a basic step by step for you:

1) Jack up the car and remove the front wheels (either at the same time or one at a time, your choice)

2) Remove the screws in the fender liners and pull them forward so you can access the back of the gills. (you will have to remove one fastener for the windshield washer bottle on the passenger side, and then pull the bottle toward the front of the car and out of the way. Don't worry you don't have to drain or disconnect it in any way, there is enough slack in the hoses to pull it clear)

3) Reach up and release the clips for the gills and push them out. Once they are out you will have access to the screw which you are asking about and the wire. (This screw only holds the signal light in anyway)

4) Swap the signal light to your new gill, plug in the wire and reinstall it in the fender.

5) Reinstall the windshield washer bottle, fender liners, wheels and lower the car off the jack. Stand back and admire the great job you did!

P.S.: I know this sounds like a big deal but is is really only about 1/2 hour worth of work per side. Although you can get them out by pulling or prying I recommend this longer method since it will prevent you from doing any damage to the car/paint/oem gills.
      06-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
wchow16
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

I did it this way. No problems. Requires a fair bit of leverage to pry them off but it took 5 minutes a side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMtTQ50B5g
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The easiest way to install the side gills is to partly remove the fender liners. I stopped trying to pull on mine for fear of breaking something since I was putting a lot of force on them and they were not releasing.

Here is a basic step by step for you:

1) Jack up the car and remove the front wheels (either at the same time or one at a time, your choice)

2) Remove the screws in the fender liners and pull them forward so you can access the back of the gills. (you will have to remove one fastener for the windshield washer bottle on the passenger side, and then pull the bottle toward the front of the car and out of the way. Don't worry you don't have to drain or disconnect it in any way, there is enough slack in the hoses to pull it clear)

3) Reach up and release the clips for the gills and push them out. Once they are out you will have access to the screw which you are asking about and the wire. (This screw only holds the signal light in anyway)

4) Swap the signal light to your new gill, plug in the wire and reinstall it in the fender.

5) Reinstall the windshield washer bottle, fender liners, wheels and lower the car off the jack. Stand back and admire the great job you did!

P.S.: I know this sounds like a big deal but is is really only about 1/2 hour worth of work per side. Although you can get them out by pulling or prying I recommend this longer method since it will prevent you from doing any damage to the car/paint/oem gills.
Thanks for the informative reply Jamie but I wouldn't do any of this as I'm not confident in my skills just yet with the new ///M.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchow16 View Post
I did it this way. No problems. Requires a fair bit of leverage to pry them off but it took 5 minutes a side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMtTQ50B5g
Thanks for the reply Will, getting it out isn't the issue for me it's the replacement part!

I think I'm just going to sell them and buy a whole set which would be much easier as I would just have to replace the whole thing. *the irony in that
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Side gills

Next.. I cannot get the metal clips out

Somebody please HELP me
Just finished doing this very install myself this afternoon. I got stuck at the very same place as you. Unless you can get those tabs out, you won't be able to access the screws. I ended up using a hair dryer, and heating up the part. After about a minute on high heat, the black plastic becomes more pliable, and it becomes much easier to remove the chrome piece after that.
Appreciate 0