BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #155
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Finally confirmed the order today, build week 28 with delivery week 32.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #156
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I have an E90 M3 with DCT on its way...not an E92, but DCT nonetheless!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #157
yelbom76
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 e93 jetB (m-dct)

Talking

Order sent yesterday, I'll have a e93 M3 Jet Black M-DCT in 40 to 45 days. , Club me plz, and make it last 40 to 45 days.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #158
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Welcome to all new members.

I actually forgot to add a few but that was just edited. If I left your name out just pm me and I will update it as soon as I log back in.

My car has finally finished production and is awaiting transport. I'm so excited!

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #159
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
As a member of the DCT group I would like to air some concerns I have, not some much about the gearbox but about it's pricing. I found out on Monday what the price of Porsche's version would be and considering how much every extra cost when it's attached to the name Porsche I was surprised and a little annoyed to see that it's going to be £300 cheaper than M-DCT. Even Audi are estimating their new 7sp DSG for the S4 at £1200 less, what is it with BMW's pricing?

Now we know that this transmission will be offered in the new 3 series but I very much doubt it will continue to be priced at the £2690 that is currently being charged in the M3 when you consider Audi (it's main competitor) is charging so much less. Does this mean BMW will have two different prices or worse still, decide to drop the price for both when released in the standard 3 series.

Where would such a thing leave us who have already priced top dollar when it comes to resale?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #160
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
DCT pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
As a member of the DCT group I would like to air some concerns I have, not some much about the gearbox but about it's pricing. I found out on Monday what the price of Porsche's version would be and considering how much every extra cost when it's attached to the name Porsche I was surprised and a little annoyed to see that it's going to be £300 cheaper than M-DCT. Even Audi are estimating their new 7sp DSG for the S4 at £1200 less, what is it with BMW's pricing?

Now we know that this transmission will be offered in the new 3 series but I very much doubt it will continue to be priced at the £2690 that is currently being charged in the M3 when you consider Audi (it's main competitor) is charging so much less. Does this mean BMW will have two different prices or worse still, decide to drop the price for both when released in the standard 3 series.

Where would such a thing leave us who have already priced top dollar when it comes to resale?
It's one of the risks you take for being the first for a manufacturer's hottest technology. There is no doubt the pricing will come down, IMO, unless inflation eats away at potential reductions. They won't charge two prices for the same tranny, unless, for instance, the standard 3-Series one is of lesser capacity, or does away with the cooler, etc.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #161
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

From the Ultimate Guide to 6MT thread. A few very good/solid points then it degenerates into the typical drivel on that last wonderful point. Ugh, give me a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBoston View Post
My thoughts on the 6MT so far:
  • At 2,000 miles, it's noticeably smoother and more precise than when new... it actually seemed smoother immediately after the 1,200mi fluid change, and has continued to get smoother since
  • I wish the throw was about 30% shorter
  • 3rd is the money backroads gear, allowing a speed range from down around 40 to well in excess of any U.S. speed limit
  • Heel-toe rev matching on downshifts is hard for me to execute well in "Normal" throttle mode because I have to tap in quite a bit of pedal travel and put my foot in an unnatural position
  • "Power" throttle mode gives me the best mix of throttle response and smoothness in most driving situations
  • Shift feel ranks somewhere in between the rubbery feel of an Audi S4/S5, and the machined precision of a Boxster S
  • Let's be honest, the ladies dig a guy who can manhandle 414hp through a six-speed ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #162
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I would have to agree with AJBoston's points, the gearbox was quite notchy when new as was both examples I got to drive. Compared to my S5 I felt very disappointed but it great to hear that it improves greatly.

Both transmission have there faults, notchiness with the manual and lag with the M-DCT.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #163
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
I would have to agree with AJBoston's points, the gearbox was quite notchy when new as was both examples I got to drive. Compared to my S5 I felt very disappointed but it great to hear that it improves greatly.

Both transmission have there faults, notchiness with the manual and lag with the M-DCT.

Hey Footie....did the Audi understeer disappear after break-in?
      06-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #164
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Hey Footie....did the Audi understeer disappear after break-in?
Hi mate, long time no see (so to speak).

Funny you should mention that ........................ no, but then if you have read any of my posts you will know how I rate understeer when it comes to normal road use and road cars.

Don't leave it so long next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #165
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
sfbimmer13 sorry I forgot to add you. You on the list now.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #166
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Footie, T Bone, I propose that the forum raises money to fly you guys to neutral territory and stage a live televised debate. I want to see if you guys can be so hilarious in person real-time and not just on the internet. We'll pick a location where they serve lattes as I'm sure T Bone would have a few things to say about that among many other things. Or better yet, we could put you guys in an AWD car with a live feed that Footie drives so that T Bone can cook up the commentary from the passenger seat, and the roles could be reversed in the next lap with a RWD car. We can add MT and DCT to the mix as well.
      06-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #167
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Footie, T Bone, I propose that the forum raises money to fly you guys to neutral territory and stage a live televised debate. I want to see if you guys can be so hilarious in person real-time and not just on the internet. We'll pick a location where they serve lattes as I'm sure T Bone would have a few things to say about that among many other things. Or better yet, we could put you guys in an AWD car with a live feed that Footie drives so that T Bone can cook up the commentary from the passenger seat, and the roles could be reversed in the next lap with a RWD car. We can add MT and DCT to the mix as well.
I know you're only being partially serious but this would bring some cool excitement to the forums. LOL

I wouldn't miss that debate.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #168
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post

I'm in.... Poor Footie will need to find a couple more gears of wit to keep up.

My first comment with Footie driving an Audi

"Mate, I see you turning the steering wheel but nothing is happening"
      06-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #169
M3Cat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Add me to the list. My M3 just started production today. Hopefully will have it before the end of July.

Past: 991.1 911, F82 M4, W205 C63S, B8 RS5, F13 650, E90 M3, E92 335is, E46 M3, E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #170
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Cat View Post
Add me to the list. My M3 just started production today. Hopefully will have it before the end of July.
Welcome!

What are your specs?

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #171
Dr. T
Private
Rep
Drives: 996TT

Garage List
2009 E93 M3  [0.00]
2004 FX35  [0.00]
2006 Tundra  [0.00]
2003 996TT  [0.00]
2002 S2000  [0.00]
Count me in. '09 E93 M3 ordered. Space gray, Silver Novillo, Cold weather, Premium, Tech, 19", HD radio, iPod, Premium sound, and DCT!
2006 Tundra
2004 FX35
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #172
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I'm in.... Poor Footie will need to find a couple more gears of wit to keep up.

My first comment with Footie driving an Audi

"Mate, I see you turning the steering wheel but nothing is happening"
Mate you crack me up.

Lucid, Ken, how can I compete with this guy, I am seriously not on his level of wit.

P.S.
If you haven't a M-DCT or one on order then your comments should be removed...............sorry TB.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 02:27 AM   #173
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328

The GSP P7 brake pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
For those of you familiar with the wonderful wide brake pedal Dr. Gustave Stroes made for the E46 SMG, you will be sorry to learn that he is getting out of that business. His GSP unit, while expensive, was a work of technical art:
You're right he's getting out of the business and I've been talking to him about buying the remaining P7 E46 M3 pedals. We'll have to see if it works on the E92. I kind of doubt it, but would very plesantly surprised if it did. It appears BMW took the same LAME approach on the DCT of using the same pedal cluster as the manual tranny and they just leave off the clutch pedal arm. Because of that, you end up with a manual transmission brake pedal biased toward the gas pedal. If you left foot brake, you end up sitting almost side saddle to reach the brake.

For you guys not familiar, here is what made the E46 M3 SMG P7 brake pedal so great:
  • Super Stiff & Very Light
    (lighter and stiffer than Gen-I/Gen-II)
  • CNC'd Cluster with Modified Leverage Ratio
    (shorter/stiffer pedal travel)
  • Bronze Bushings and Thrust Washers
    (very low friction design)
  • Tubular 4130 Pedal-Arm
    (highest stiffness-to-mass ratio)
  • 7" wide brake pedal lets you brake like the pros
    (right foot or left foot brake)
  • Kit includes all required parts
  • Custom Fabricated in the USA
    (Built to super-precise standards)

Here are some pics installed on my E46 M3.

Here are a couple more pics from Daytonviolet's car (the guy with ALL OEM CSL parts):

The bottom pic shows how the P7 brake pedal is only slightly higher off the floorboard than the gas pedal. That make it really easy to transition from gas to brake with the right foot or dead pedal to brake with the left foot.

Hopefully, we can bring this great product to market for the E92 M3, too. I'll really miss mine if it won't work. :-(

I almost forgot to mention...I'm in the E92 M3 DCT club, too. I ordered mine and it should be here about the end of July.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #174
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Bob@BPS and Dr. T,
Welcome to the M-DCT group

Footie,
Come on don't sell your self short. You can do it!

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #175
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Mate you crack me up.

Lucid, Ken, how can I compete with this guy, I am seriously not on his level of wit.

P.S.
If you haven't a M-DCT or one on order then your comments should be removed...............sorry TB.
You can get coaching help and script out the whole thing. You can hire a PI and dig out T Bone's dirty secrets so that you can nail him with dirty laundry when he expects it the least trying to figure out drift angles and all that. Come on Footie, you can do it!
      06-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #176
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Mate you crack me up.

P.S.

YOu can compete if you get 2 more gears of wit and a 50 shot of IQ and an enema of personality