BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
andret
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Insurance & Track

Looking for some general thoughts on the fact that when driving the car on the track it is not insured. How do others perceive this risk?

My wife is giving me grief about this due to an upcoming John Bowe high performance training day. I accept the risk but she some how has it in her head that if it is written off (extremely unlikely) that we'll suddenly have to fork out $160000 to pay out finance.

Constructive thoughts appreciated.

2011 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Rossi458
Banned
Rep
Drives: Mums car

Sell the wife to cover the cost.

All seriousness no way around it. You crash at track it's out of ur own pocket. Only dodgy thing u can do if the car is still driveable in the unlucky event of a crash is to just call ur insurance company and tell them the accident happened elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Definitely no cover. You will have to wear the cost of paying out the finance company. I her the same thing everytime I put the car on track during BMW Club event. My wif works in the insurnce industry.
      03-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Take your number plates off so no photos can place you at the track in case you do bin it. but come, you should be fine as long as you're not a novice driver trying to power slide at 100kph.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
jpc
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 DCT ESS VT2-650 SC

You have chosen well however. JB are really good with both safety and instruction. Listen, observe and know your limits and you are less likely to bend your car than on a public road.
      03-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

It is the risk I take too, just leave the TC on and don't let yourself run at 10/10ths. Also take great care around other drivers.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
annasu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: qwef

In South Australia, Third Party Personal insurance from the Motor Accident Commission is included in the licence registration fee for people over 17. A similar scheme applies in Western Australia.

In Victoria, Third Party Personal insurance from the Transport Accident Commission is similarly included, through a levy, in the vehicle registration fee.

In New South Wales, Compulsory Third Party Insurance (commonly known as CTP Insurance) is a mandatory requirement and each individual car must be insured or the vehicle will not be considered legal. Therefore, a motorist cannot drive the vehicle until it is insured. A 'Green Slip,'[2] another name by which CTP Insurance is commonly known due to the colour of the pages which the form is printed on, must be obtained through one of the five licenced insurers in New South Wales. Suncorp and Allianz both hold two licences to issue CTP Greenslips - Suncorp under the GIO and AAMI licences and Allianz under the Allianz and CIC/Allianz licences. The remaining three licences to issue CTP Greenslips are held by QBE, Zurich and IAL - NRMA. APIA now also supplies CTP but is only for over 50's who are no longer working full time. A similar scheme applies in the ACT.

In Queensland, CTP is a mandatory part of registration for a vehicle. There is choice of insurer but price is government controlled in a tight band.

These state based third party insurance schemes usually cover only personal injury liability. Comprehensive vehicle insurance is sold separately to cover property damage and cover can be for events such as fire, theft, collision and other property damage.
      04-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Bdez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez & Fox & X5 3.0d

Either take the risk or try and buy some limited cover - but the advice re ways of conning your insurer is NOT sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
andret
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Managed to convince the wife of limited risk. Went today and had a blast. No incidents. Highly recommend a John Bowe event.

2011 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
edge4
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

hi first time posting to the site but have read it each day for the past year. i have just changed my ins from BMW to Shannons Car Insurance and as a car enthusiast ins company they will cover your car on track days if the is a qualified instructor pressent on the day. worth looking into.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
jpc
Australia
Rep

Edge 4
That is most interesting.
I think you will find they only cover advanced driving courses - they specifically EXCLUDE anything with the words 'high performance', 'circuit', 'racing' , 'timing' etc. Since the advanced courses are well below the level of performance of many posters here, this is as good as useless.

All a bit of a joke really for a mob that claim to cater to 'motoring enthusiaists'

Especially as you are less likely to have an issue on the track than on the zoo that is the public road system.

I'd be REALLY pleased if you could show me to be mistaken, but I fear not.

If you can find genuine track insurance, I'll jump at it, as will many here.

Cheers
      04-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
edge4
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

HI jpc

had a quick look at the policie, there is a Racing Cover component in there policie if you request this at the time of ins the car, of cause there are terms and conditions but they are fairly clear.
• an event sanctioned by a motor sport governing body,
and your participation in that event requires a license of
any kind issued by a motor sport governing body and
you are the holder of such a license, or
• an event which has been approved by us in writing or
by way of endorsement to your policy.

I will make a call on Tuesday and ask them to send me all the info and outline exactly what is and isn't covered and pass it on.

Talk soon,
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #13
jpc
Australia
Rep

Thanks Mate
Would appreciate any further info you can provide.

Generally, track days and HP courses don't require any licence other than normal drivers.

Competitive events require Cams SL2 or higher as a rough rule.

I don't think anyone in their right mind expects an insurer to cover them for competitive racing, BUT, if you can find out more positive signs of track day/training insurance you will have done a good thing

Regards
James
      06-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Anyone else find any good track day insurance in the U.S.?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Anyone else find any good track day insurance in the U.S.?
yeh man, I got mine from Walmart
Appreciate 0