BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

11-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #45
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

With all due respect to all the Physicians out there I would like to state for the record that everybody is eventually going to die. There is no reason to scare people. They will die. They could die due to a bus, cancer, heart disease, H1N1, Malaria, TB, HIV/AIDS, lightning, plane, sudden cardiac death, slipping on a banana peel etc. They could die in the next second or live another 100 years. There is only one thing we are sure of in life & that is death.

Do your best, try to be a good person, help people (including yourself), and don't tell people that the world is coming to an end because a 100 mile asteroid is about to hit Earth. They are going to die anyway - so what's the use of trying to scare them!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #46
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
With all due respect to all the Physicians out there I would like to state for the record that everybody is eventually going to die. There is no reason to scare people. They will die. They could die due to a bus, cancer, heart disease, H1N1, Malaria, TB, HIV/AIDS, lightning, plane, sudden cardiac death, slipping on a banana peel etc. They could die in the next second or live another 100 years. There is only one thing we are sure of in life & that is death.

Do your best, try to be a good person, help people (including yourself), and don't tell people that the world is coming to an end because a 100 mile asteroid is about to hit Earth. They are going to die anyway - so what's the use of trying to scare them!
Thanks for the good laugh.
      11-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #47
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
My grandmother just called and told me that my uncle has h1n1. He did not get the vaccine, got h1n1, recovered and is fine. So my brother, his roommate, and my uncle, all got h1n1, all recovered and are fine.

So I stand by my decision to not vaccine. 3 healthy relatives recovered fine, so I assume that I would as well. I assume that your health before you get the flu is a factor?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #48
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post

I'm amazed by the responses that I'm seeing on Bimmerpost with regards to the H1N1 Pandemic. I guess if you are not seeing it first hand, you won't have the fear implanted in you.
Same here. Sadly, nothing really surprises me anymore.

I got both the H1N1 vaccine and the seasonal flu vaccine.

Better to be safe than sorry.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #49
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
My grandmother just called and told me that my uncle has h1n1. He did not get the vaccine, got h1n1, recovered and is fine. So my brother, his roommate, and my uncle, all got h1n1, all recovered and are fine.

So I stand by my decision to not vaccine. 3 healthy relatives recovered fine, so I assume that I would as well. I assume that your health before you get the flu is a factor?
Actually, the H1N1 virus has proven to be most deadly to those who are young and have very strong immune systems. I'm serious. Look it up.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #50
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
i didnt get mine yet...

i wanted to see if "I am Legend" was going to be a true story before i got my shot.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #51
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
hahahahah....man, it amazes me at the ignorance in here. But I guess you would expect that from a forum of this nature.

I find it hilarious that when people are sick, they get pissed off that doctors do not have cures to reverse chronic damage leading to their terminal ailments, yet they were the types to refuse preventive measures and undergo various screenings while they were healthy.

I wonder how many of you guys would be ok with your doctor telling you "hey, don't worry about it. We all have to die sometime." We should just have them send you home without any interventions, or those damn man made chemicals they tell you to go pick up at the pharmacy, the next time you are sick or injured.
      11-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #52
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
hahahahah....man, it amazes me at the ignorance in here. But I guess you would expect that from a forum of this nature.

I find it hilarious that when people are sick, they get pissed off that doctors do not have cures to reverse chronic damage leading to their terminal ailments, yet they were the types to refuse preventive measures and undergo various screenings while they were healthy.

I wonder how many of you guys would be ok with your doctor telling you "hey, don't worry about it. We all have to die sometime." We should just have them send you home without any interventions, or those damn man made chemicals they tell you to go pick up at the pharmacy, the next time you are sick or injured.
I think you just made my day.

LOL~
      11-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #53
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

All four of my kids and my wife took the vaccine, but it was too late. All of them came down with the flu 2 days later unfortunately. My whole family is on Tamiflu now. I was not eligible to get the vaccination since they are limiting it to those with underlying conditions or people caring for children under 6 months down here.

It is going around my kids school big time. Over 50% of the students are out right now with multiple confirmed cases of H1N1 in each class. I also had an aquiantance die about 10 days ago. She was 39 and came down with what she thought was the flu. Her husband told her to stop being such a wuss for the first few days and then she was checked into the hospital. On day 6 she passed away. 39 years old with no underlying conditions in very good health.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #54
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

I got the nasal spray vacination and became horrifically sick. Did NOT have the H1N1 virus, but am still curious as to what it actually was.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:11 AM   #55
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Kev or anyone else, if your a member on bimmerforums, check out this shit. Complete dumb asses.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1344966&page=2
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #56
JohnnyM57
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GTS Cab & GLA 45 AMG

Didnt read all the posts...but since I am in medicine (resident doc), I will provide some info to perhaps give some insight into the h1n1 vaccine.

1.) This is made the same way the seasonal flu vaccine is made. this is a dead virus. thus, can't get sick from it. site of injection is prob going to hurt for a day or two.

2.) in the ER we are not even bothering with testing people with signs and symptoms of the flu FOR h1n1...we just use a criteria to treat, if u meet it..u get tamiflu...if u need to get admitted, then we do so...if not...motrin and remember to hydrate.

3.) h1n1 is a scary one because of those who it is affecting....18-35 get hit hard...plus the usual...the very young, the very old (those with health issues) the seniors that are healthy are actually thought to have some immunity to this particular strain, perhaps seeing various components of it sometime in their life....sooo, we are getting the "W" curve on the graph...meaning if the horizontal axis is age and vertical axis is death number....the first part is high death at the very young...and the second peak is death to the 18-35 range...and the third part is the very old...(also, if u are pregnant, you are at a higher risk for complications with this virus). the normal seasonal flu causes a "U" curve...think about it....what makes health officials worry is that in 1918...remember that yr from history...spanish flu caused that same "W" curve (obv with much higher peaks).

ask some questions, i will answer them if i didnt include it here...typed this fast!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #57
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyM57 View Post
Didnt read all the posts...but since I am in medicine (resident doc), I will provide some info to perhaps give some insight into the h1n1 vaccine.

1.) This is made the same way the seasonal flu vaccine is made. this is a dead virus. thus, can't get sick from it. site of injection is prob going to hurt for a day or two.

2.) in the ER we are not even bothering with testing people with signs and symptoms of the flu FOR h1n1...we just use a criteria to treat, if u meet it..u get tamiflu...if u need to get admitted, then we do so...if not...motrin and remember to hydrate.

3.) h1n1 is a scary one because of those who it is affecting....18-35 get hit hard...plus the usual...the very young, the very old (those with health issues) the seniors that are healthy are actually thought to have some immunity to this particular strain, perhaps seeing various components of it sometime in their life....sooo, we are getting the "W" curve on the graph...meaning if the horizontal axis is age and vertical axis is death number....the first part is high death at the very young...and the second peak is death to the 18-35 range...and the third part is the very old...(also, if u are pregnant, you are at a higher risk for complications with this virus). the normal seasonal flu causes a "U" curve...think about it....what makes health officials worry is that in 1918...remember that yr from history...spanish flu caused that same "W" curve (obv with much higher peaks).

ask some questions, i will answer them if i didnt include it here...typed this fast!
You from baltimore doc? Me too.

And I keep hearing stories of women with miscarriages after getting the vaccine including somebody I know. Whether the miscarriage was a result of the vaccine or not, i dont know, but alot of cases are popping up. But a friend of mine had a healthy pregnancy, got the vaccine, less then 4 days later i think, had a miscarriage. Good friend of mine.

The point is not that people aint dying from h1n1 or the regular flu cause they are. The problem is that the vaccine is controversial with entire news segments devoted to how deadly and dangerous the vaccine is. I just want to be healthy. Some docs say get the vaccine, and some say dont. Im not a doc, how should I know whether to get it or not. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #58
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

As a parent, it's REALLY hard. I have one of those apparently really gifted children. I score about 135 on IQ, but I think he's somehow higher. It drove me freaking CRAZY when my wife would get him vaccinated for things like chicken pox. COME ON, that is only a vaccination for the parents who are too busy to take care of their (normally) sick child. And then in 20 years, when the child is no longer under direct care of mommy and daddy, THEN get exposed???? Unless they were an early bloomer, no grandkids.

There has never been absolutely proven causal effect of the links with thimerosol and brain issues, but there is WAY too much correlation of the sudden loss of mental skills within a few weeks of the injections. MAYBE it's just a triggering event, like the strep infection that preceeded my diabetes diagnosis, but for things like chicken pox and flu, it's not worth the risk to me.

Oh, and about a month ago we had a death in the family. Relatives came with H1N1 infected children, and that gifted child I spoke about above became infected. I was really worried about the Tamiflu risk as well, but he managed to survive with no apparent negative effects at this point. We controlled his fever, kept him away from others, and he made a full recovery.

Best regards,
Wede
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #59
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I just want to be healthy. Some docs say get the vaccine, and some say dont. Im not a doc, how should I know whether to get it or not. Thoughts?
Exactly my sentiments! I mean yeah sure I would love to be safe than sorry but what if, after having the shot, I get sick not from the flu but the vaccine itself? I mean both sides have good arguments so any person would just have to pick a side and go with it. I was never good with such decisions so I'm still on the fence. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #60
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
As a parent, it's REALLY hard. I have one of those apparently really gifted children. I score about 135 on IQ, but I think he's somehow higher. It drove me freaking CRAZY when my wife would get him vaccinated for things like chicken pox. COME ON, that is only a vaccination for the parents who are too busy to take care of their (normally) sick child. And then in 20 years, when the child is no longer under direct care of mommy and daddy, THEN get exposed???? Unless they were an early bloomer, no grandkids.

There has never been absolutely proven causal effect of the links with thimerosol and brain issues, but there is WAY too much correlation of the sudden loss of mental skills within a few weeks of the injections. MAYBE it's just a triggering event, like the strep infection that preceeded my diabetes diagnosis, but for things like chicken pox and flu, it's not worth the risk to me.

Oh, and about a month ago we had a death in the family. Relatives came with H1N1 infected children, and that gifted child I spoke about above became infected. I was really worried about the Tamiflu risk as well, but he managed to survive with no apparent negative effects at this point. We controlled his fever, kept him away from others, and he made a full recovery.

Best regards,
Wede
Dude, you're in Cali. They've taken thimerisol out of kids vaccines for YEARS. So what's you next excuse for sudden dumbness?
And just an FYI, the rates of Autism continue to increase but are leveling off now. There goes that theory too.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #61
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

rates of Autism continue to increase but are leveling off now. There goes that theory too.

Wait, are they increasing or leveling off? I don't know that it's thimerisol, but it's a risk my kid doesn't need to be exposed to. And maybe it's leveling off because so many parents are choosing NOT to vaccinate so much or so early in life. I know the local school district is complaining about the decreasing level of vaccinations in the school population.

A NEWBORN needs a vaccine against Hepatitis??? Not if you're watching him and he isn't having unprotected sex with infected people. If there is a breakout at his school of Hep, I don't want him there.
I WANT him to get chicken pox so we can be over with it.
We're not going to India, so the risk of polio just isn't worth the risk to his brain.
When was teh last time someone had mumps or german measles? In my part of Cali it's been a long time, so no need to give him MMR, live or dead.

I still have some difficulty with vaccine vectors. Injected into your arm is not the way the natural threat occurs, what's to make you think that will provide the protection necessary to ward off the invaders? Well, other than tetanus (sp?)

best regards,
Wede
Appreciate 0