BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Opinions on Kimber Stainless Raptor II vs Kimber Eclipse?

Anyone have both and if so, thoughts? Any FTF, FTE, other reliability issues?

How's accuracy on both - are they a good product?

I'm torn between those two (but I also like the Ruger SR1911 too, though its in a much lower price bracket).

Just as a side note, the Raptor is selling for $1,650, while the Eclipse was $1,490 I believe.

Do either spend time in the Kimber Custom Shop?

*Edit - the Raptor is just a beautiful gun. I really liked it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I'm sure Kimber makes a fine pistol, but i believe they are somewhat over priced. Essentially, they were the manufacture that brought popularity back to the 1911. This allowed them to set the pricing bench mark. Just about everyone else is making just as high quality pistols for $300 to $400 less.

The 2 you are talking about are lookers though! I'm sure they will meet your needs and then some. If i recall, you are only going to be target shooting with this one, no carrying, hunting, etc... Correct? If that is the case, be sure to get something with adjustable sights so you can really dial it into the 10 ring.

What about the Kimber Stainless Target II? Pretty much same gun with what they claim is a more accurate barrel, adjustable sights and no scalloping. MSRP $1108 USD

Or the Sig Sauer Stainless Target. MSRP $1142 USD

Be sure to post up what you end up getting!
      09-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Thanks - will look into the above as well!

Yeah, this is just paper - we aren't allowed to carry, and wouldn't be able to hunt with it either.

I don't think either has adjustable sights (aside from windage) - do most have adjustable sights? None of the three were adjustable as I recall, but there was one that was that I passed on...just don't remember which one.

Will post pics when I purchase!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I didn't mean for actual hunting, but as a side arm while hunting.

Most don't have adjustable sights. Because if you're putting them in and out of a holster your sights will tend to move around on you. Fixed sights are the way to go with a carry weapon.

For targets though, you may want something more precise that is adjustable to your liking. If you tend to shoot to the left an easy fix it to adjust your rear sight a just a bit. The adjustably isn't for distance or actual windage, just for fine tuning your sight picture. You'll find most pistols designed with target shooting in mind will have an adjustable rear sight.
      09-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

I absolutely love my Kimber Raptor. I have six handguns in my personal collection, and it has the best trigger pull of any of my semi automatic handguns. It is a beautiful gun, I love the milling on it. I would definitely recommend buying one. I'm not sure if prices are higher in Canada but, here you can buy one online for about $1,000 with shipping. I have never experienced one FTF with this gun!

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I have a Sig 1911 and would attest to their quality as well if you do end up looking at those. Not quite as "beautiful" of a gun but they sure work well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
I absolutely love my Kimber Raptor. I have six handguns in my personal collection, and it has the best trigger pull of any of my semi automatic handguns. It is a beautiful gun, I love the milling on it. I would definitely recommend buying one. I'm not sure if prices are higher in Canada but, here you can buy one online for about $1,000 with shipping. I have never experienced one FTF with this gun!

Those grips really take that pistol to teh next level in the looks department. Very nice gun. I was thinking of trading my CZ 75B SS Limited Edition for a similar 1911 style 45 but keep thinking i'll regret it as the full size CZ is such a sweet shooter and looker.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Those grips really take that pistol to teh next level in the looks department. Very nice gun. I was thinking of trading my CZ 75B SS Limited Edition for a similar 1911 style 45 but keep thinking i'll regret it as the full size CZ is such a sweet shooter and looker.

Thanks! I would definitely recommend adding a Kimber 1911 to your collection, but the CZ75B SS is a really unique gun you should hold on to it!

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
Thanks! I would definitely recommend adding a Kimber 1911 to your collection, but the CZ75B SS is a really unique gun you should hold on to it!
I hear you on that. Its not the regular stainless either. Has brushed sides and beaded edges. I'll keep an eye out when i'm at the gun shows for the Kimbers
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Well I certainly appreciate all the responses here. I've been also getting some "love them" and then "hate them" comments from canadiangunnutz forum as well; though its not clear whether the haters have actually owned them.

I'm still leaning to Kimber, but we'll see. Hoping to get out to the range after I take my prelim qualifying classes at the gun club for membership in mid November. Its too bad, I was a member at another gun club before moving, but I still have to take their classes and do a probationary period before I'll be a full member and can use the range. So right now, I've got nowhere to shoot.

Ah well....its only a few months, that's what I'm telling myself anyways.
Appreciate 0