BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

PlastiDip coating for wheels

Has anybody on this form tried PlastiDip for their wheels?
I am looking for something easily reversible (the car is leased).
Its getting some pretty good reviews on some of the other forums
      11-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I wold first check with the dealer what ramifications it might have if you modify the car. It might cost you money at the end of the lease, unless you plan to purchase at the end?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Sell your Comp rims, buy some Genuine Matte Black 359's from Tischer and be on your way. It's an official BMW product, so the dealership shouldn't say a word and considering they now cost LESS than standard finished 359's you won't be losing out, just put the tires you already have on the black ones.

Note - Even if you powder coat the OEM wheels you already have I doubt they'd say anything, I've seen people lease returns M3's with cosmetic packages still attached, megan exhausts, LUX AE etc etc.. Then again it could depend on your relationship with the stealership in question, why not just ask someone you know that works there? Maybe your SA.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

PlastiDip is pretty cool. I used it on some random parts and it holds up pretty well and isnt too hard to come off. I haven't tried it on wheels though but I did try it on my AA exhaust tips. People say that with track use it becomes hard to peel off but I don't think the wheels themselves can get hot like the exhaust tips and mine are still easy to come off I say go for it.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I wold first check with the dealer what ramifications it might have if you modify the car. It might cost you money at the end of the lease, unless you plan to purchase at the end?
plastidip does not harm or is not permanent. It is a spray on vinyl that peels off like rubber when you are done with it.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Mahzari
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would not plastidip rims on an M3... This isn't e46fanatics

But that's just me
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

The issue is going to be mounting the tires without peeling the Plastidip off.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

I'm going to have to try the plastidip stuff on track wheels
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I have seen the plastidip done on wheels (I wouldn't do it on mine). If you take your time, you can do it without taking the tires off. It also comes off without too much effort if you soak in a goo gone type solution for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
PlastiDip is pretty cool. I used it on some random parts and it holds up pretty well and isnt too hard to come off. I haven't tried it on wheels though but I did try it on my AA exhaust tips. People say that with track use it becomes hard to peel off but I don't think the wheels themselves can get hot like the exhaust tips and mine are still easy to come off I say go for it.
How is the durability of PlastiDip on exhaust tips? I want to paint mine, but would like the option to take it off if I don't like it. Plus, I don't want to take the exhaust off the car and I don't mask well so it'd be nice to be able to clean it off easily if I get overspray.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyc View Post
How is the durability of PlastiDip on exhaust tips? I want to paint mine, but would like the option to take it off if I don't like it. Plus, I don't want to take the exhaust off the car and I don't mask well so it'd be nice to be able to clean it off easily if I get overspray.
It's holding up really well so far. It does overspray like crazy though so I took my tips off. If you don't want to then all you have to do is rub the bumper with your hand and it comes right off.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Buy M3, PlastiDip wheels.

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #13
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
plastidip does not harm or is not permanent. It is a spray on vinyl that peels off like rubber when you are done with it.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
I would not plastidip rims on an M3... This isn't e46fanatics

But that's just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matthew View Post
Buy M3, PlastiDip wheels.
It's fine, I loved it. Don't feel anything about disregarding the ignorant comments above.

I sprayed my wheels, tracked on them, removed the coating, then sold the wheels. The finish looked great when you got it right (I messed up 2 wheels so had to re-apply) and was relatively easy to remove. It was especially awesome since all of the brake dust caked onto the Plasti, so when I stripped it all off, the wheels, which of course I had washed prior to spraying, stayed clean. Removal is as simple as either A) Rubbing via hand pressure or just getting a purchase and pulling or B) using a Goo Gone solution to rub it off.

To the comment I saw above about mounting the wheel without damaging the finish, it isn't unbelievably fragile like that, but you do want to grab the spokes of the wheels with your hands, then as your mounting the wheel, try not to put too much pressure on your hands. Exert pressure over an area rather than on a single tiny spot, otherwise you can rub away the finish on that single tiny spot.

Last edited by LateBraking; 11-22-2011 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks. That's the affirmation I was looking for. Will post pics later this weekend
      11-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosholoza View Post
Thanks. That's the affirmation I was looking for. Will post pics later this weekend
Terrific. Just make sure not to make the coating too thin, otherwise it will be harder to remove later as the Plasti will flake off rather than peel off in large chunks when you try to take it off. But again, don't make it too thick, otherwise the coating starts to bubble, and gets all textured and grainy. I remember there was a guide this guy made on PlastiDipping his brand spanking new Audi twice, and he had some great tips. If I find it I'll add it in here later.

Edit: Here are the details. This is extreme advice as it's for a whole car, but the application tips still apply. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...e-brave-enough
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

wow this is some good stuff... I may do this for onelapofamerica.com next year on new rims to protect them!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
wow this is some good stuff... I may do this for onelapofamerica.com next year on new rims to protect them!
Absolutely, I recommend it for stuff like that. They sell the matte black in cans at Home Depot, but if you go to their website you can get a "clear" which will be your current color but in a matte finish, a nice looking matte white (mentioned in my Audi link above), and even some smurf blues, candy reds, and taxi yellows are sold on their website.

The only thing is I don't recommend them for is really tightly knit multispoke wheels like BBS LM's (or whatever replica you may consider spraying). It got progressively harder to spray and remove the OEM ZCP wheels around the sides of the spokes and the inner curves. I can't imagine how hard it would be with tight-knit mesh like LM's or the BBS E88's. The ZCP's weren't too bad though. Just make sure you have the time on your weekend to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Absolutely, I recommend it for stuff like that. They sell the matte black in cans at Home Depot, but if you go to their website you can get a "clear" which will be your current color but in a matte finish, a nice looking matte white (mentioned in my Audi link above), and even some smurf blues, candy reds, and taxi yellows are sold on their website.
YES!! I may do the whole car. it'll make the stickers come off easier too. It's like a disposable clear bra and possibly with more protection!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
YES!! I may do the whole car. it'll make the stickers come off easier too. It's like a disposable clear bra and possibly with more protection!
Here's a few more How To's for your.

http://www.dipyourcar.com/shop/page/...hv&shop_param=
Appreciate 0