BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

08-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steal View Post
I bought mine used.
My car was fully loaded, sticker over 75k and the owner spared no expense.
My Clear looks exactly like yours...its fine, must be a different cut then these other guys ...or they paid more...I don't know cause I would never buy one.
Lets face it, it covers the majority and the probability is lowered that you will get a nick in that area, not worth paying more if it costs extra to get it closer....
I would never waste money on a total hood clear...come on people this is like putting a plastic cover on a sofa, war wounds are fine, we drive a sports car not a pretty boy sissy car....lol
Why would you spend $75k on a car just to let the paint get ruined?

Not sure about your paint but the paint on my M3 is 89 microns thick and is more delicate than any other car I've owned. Went from Nashville to the smokies this past weekend. Put about 600 miles on the car. Scored 5 new rock chips in the hood that can be seen from 10 ft away. Fortunately the car isn't going far from home for a while.

I love having the paint look wet. Unfortunately, having a bunch of dark dots on the hood really takes away from the effect.

The half hood doesn't cover the hump so to be effective the full kit is needed. Besides, who wants a big line through the hood? The full is barely perceptible.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

See the first post for an update. Clear bra on and is absolutely perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #25
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Glad you got it fixed.

It's nice that the "new" pattern makes it easier for the installer to install but if coverage sucks, what is the point of that anyway? If you really wanted an easy to install clear bra, you'd just do it yourself rather than pay a "professional" to do it.

The real skill in clear bra installation is in the custom installs, that's where the installer's true skills can shine. Taking a flat piece of film and carving it into an exact fit is a work of art. It's hard to make even lines, rounded corners, wrapped edges so it is totally invisible to the eye.

I guess it's fortunate California has a lot of great installers. Maybe not so good for those in other areas.