BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #133
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz 330 View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on a new M3. Think ill keep my Z4M and 335i for a while. My 135i is coming this wed. and that car is actually funner to drive than the M3. After driving the e92 M3 it feels like the car has no soul and feels bloated and over weight. But I like small cars and the 3 chassis has been growing since the begining, thats why I am sticking the the 135i. And ill never give up my Z4M that car is like the E46 M3, raw, harsh, connected, and plenty of soul, the feedback from the car is outstanding. But I'm sure i'll add an M3 to my fleet in a few years anyway. New things take time to get used to. I'll probably hate the next gen Z4M with the V8 also till its been out for a while.

To each his own.
The only difference between the 335i and the 135i is the 135i's a hundred pounds and shorter wheelbase(which makes the 135i twitchier on the track). I drove both of them, and there is no comparison between the 1 and the M3. The M3 has soul, it kicks you to the back of the seat, it feels much lighter than the 1 and the 335i. The M3 is a true enthusiast’s car, the 135i is a poor substitution. To each their own, the 1 series is
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #134
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Smile Watch the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by trah23 View Post
Is this true, because if it is bmw fucked up big time, your paying over 65k for an M3, when a dude who payed like 44k is just as fast?!?!?!?!!?

Am i missin something here?

This is rediculous if true, i freakin put down a deposit (only 1K however) but the damn car isnt even faster than 335i

I believe after you watch the video clip, you will change your mind. Keep in mind, just as one of the gentleman mentioned earlier, if you begin to purchase and add mods on the E92 335i, you will exceed 60k. I calculated around 63k, which includes, software ugrade, oil cooler, intercooler, wheels, suspension, bigger brakes, etc... Honestly, I don't know about you, but I am tired of doing mods upgrades, and wasting all that money down the drain; let alone, I have to worry about factory warranty being voided. An M3 is an icon and a legend, and I don't think not even the 335 can come close to an M3.
I hope this will help

Eli
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 02:32 AM   #135
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

you can chip the 335i and it will blast into space and leave the M3 behind forever. Mod, pls close the post nowwwwwwww!!!!!
      07-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #136
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
LOL, considering I can go out and by whatever car I want but choose
Yeah.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #137
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I almost pulled the trigger on a new M3. Think ill keep my Z4M and 335i for a while. My 135i is coming this wed. and that car is actually funner to drive than the M3. After driving the e92 M3 it feels like the car has no soul and feels bloated and over weight. But I like small cars and the 3 chassis has been growing since the begining, thats why I am sticking the the 135i. And ill never give up my Z4M that car is like the E46 M3, raw, harsh, connected, and plenty of soul, the feedback from the car is outstanding. But I'm sure i'll add an M3 to my fleet in a few years anyway. New things take time to get used to. I'll probably hate the next gen Z4M with the V8 also till its been out for a while.

To each his own.
So you're keeping the 335i as well? Because as you said in your second post, you can afford whatever car you choose. So, I don't understand why you'd keep the 335i and not replace it with an M3 since certainly no unbiased comparison can favor the 335i if money is taken out of the equation.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #138
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:

To each his own.
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine said just the opposite in a recent head to head comparison between the M3/335/135. They were surprised the 135 didn't outperform the 335. In general it's shorter wheelbase and almost equal weight coupled with some handling traits that were missing in the 335 and M3 yielded a car that was harder to drive at the limits. The M3 was picked as the clear winner, on and off track.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #139
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
So you're keeping the 335i as well? Because as you said in your second post, you can afford whatever car you choose. So, I don't understand why you'd keep the 335i and not replace it with an M3 since certainly no unbiased comparison can favor the 335i if money is taken out of the equation.
its the only auto car we have which is my finaces and she loves the car. I'm waiting for the refreshed GT3.
      07-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #140
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
I believe after you watch the video clip, you will change your mind. Keep in mind, just as one of the gentleman mentioned earlier, if you begin to purchase and add mods on the E92 335i, you will exceed 60k. I calculated around 63k, which includes, software ugrade, oil cooler, intercooler, wheels, suspension, bigger brakes, etc... Honestly, I don't know about you, but I am tired of doing mods upgrades, and wasting all that money down the drain; let alone, I have to worry about factory warranty being voided. An M3 is an icon and a legend, and I don't think not even the 335 can come close to an M3.
I hope this will help

Eli
60k? What are you smoking? Wheels, intercooler? Who the heck needs that?

My car is 52k now (chip included) and ran 12.8 @ 111 mph with a chip and is on par with an M3 drag racing wise. I'm getting coilovers soon that will cost $1500.

Chip + coilovers is all you need to be on par with the new M3.

Still, the M3 is a great car, for people that can affort it.

For me, the 335 is awesome.

Please no more bashing, they are both great cars, both BMW's, just for different people with different needs.
      07-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #141
440hpe46
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Chip + coilovers on 335 = M3???

Obviously the M hasn't been driven...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #142
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440hpe46 View Post
Yep, that's exactly what it takes hundreds of M engineers a year or two to figure out, but we clearly have better expertise on the internet.
      07-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #143
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Obviously the M hasn't been driven...
In terms of performance, YES....both on track and drag race.

In the video of Dinan 335 vs M3, the M3 was only 0.3 seconds faster around the track. What does that mean in the real world and on the track? Nothing.

1/4 mile wise, they are virually even.

So, yes, performance wise, coilovers + chip is all you need on the 335 to fair against the M3.

People who say you need wheels, intercooler and other crap are smoking some serious crack. It's not like the M3 has light wheels.

Remember that 95% of people don't live their life on the track.

I challenge any M3 to meet me at my local drag strip or track. The difference will be ZERO.
      07-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #144
440hpe46
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post

In the video of Dinan 335 vs M3, the M3 was only 0.3 seconds faster around the track. What does that mean in the real world and on the track? Nothing.

So, yes, performance wise, coilovers + chip is all you need on the 335 to fair against the M3.

People who say you need wheels, intercooler and other crap are smoking some serious crack. It's not like the M3 has light wheels.

I challenge any M3 to meet me at my local drag strip or track. The difference will be ZERO.
The Dinan car had close to $14K? in mods and still couldn't best the M...

Coilovers + chip < $5K (maybe)...

The 335 may be able to get a few laps in...not if it's an all day event...and it will still not be close...

I'll give you the 'in a straightline'...

Last edited by 440hpe46; 07-06-2008 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #145
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:

Face it, the M3 is better than any 335. My bro has one and I drive it all the time, so I know all the differences between the cars.

M3 is better because:
1.M3 looks much hotter then 335. 335 is always mistakened with 328i coupe.
.The wider body
.Front bumper is soo aggressive with NO fog lights
. Shiny quad mufflers
. Black trim
.electronic fold mirrors with beautiful style
.awesome STOCK rims vs 335 ugly ones
.side indicators with chrome M style and has M3 badge on it.
.Bump in the hood with air vents.
.Carbon fiber roof

2. Handling
.M3 MUCH MUCH smoother drive. Driving max speed 155 MPH feels like 100 MPH.
.Best steering wheel compared with 6 series and 335 like thickness,feel,grip.
.Handling is far more advanced then a 335. Easier to manuever without the driver/passengers flying out of there seats. The seats keep you strapped in.
. Everything inside the 335 feels cheap compared to the m3 like leather feel etc.
.Engine sound is much nicer in idle, take off, etc. even with a chipped 335 with exhaust unplug mod.

Now 335 chipped Vs. M3
1. We know the M3 is capable of being able to hit max speed and acceleration all the time without the ENGINE BLOWING UP!!
So many 335 chipped end up blowing their engine. Just last week my friends 335 v2 told me 3 cylinders on his car are blown. The 335 can't handle it, sooner or later it will perish.
2.By the time you are done modding it, all the warranties will be voided and there will be some wear and tear on the car from all the mods that had to be done to get it fast enough to compete with m3.
3. Much higher chance of piece in 335 to malfunction vs. m3 because its aftermarket. Meaning, you will pay for replacements plus if a BMW part malfunctions, then that will cost TONS.

Add up all the costs to mod the 335, plus no warranty,maintenance charges, and cost to maintain it. You will be spending 70+ for the car and it will look just like any regular 3 series that cost $40 grand. My friend said it will cost him $14,000 at least to fix his car the dealer said.

approx. $50 grand + $14 grand= $64 grand without costs of mods he did, plus costs of maintenance etc. The car is 1 yr old and he paid that much. M3 is covered for 50000 miles worry free.

You can get an M3 with DCT for $60000.
      07-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #146
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
The Dinan car had close to $14K? in mods and still couldn't best the M...

Coilovers + chip < $5K (maybe)...

The 335 may be able to get a few laps in...not if it's an all day event...and it will still not be close...

I'll give you the 'in a straightline'...
A proper upgrade of the 335 so that it gets really close to M3 in performance is the Dinan S2 upgrade which costs over $22k (April issue of Roundel).

The straight-line numbers SteelTorque is quoting is pretty much meaningless because he doesn't understand how machinery is designed and rated. A drivetrain rated at 414 hp can produce that output reliably in a sustained manner. A drivetrain that is rated at 300 hp and then brought up to 398 hp or more will fail prematurely. Audi owners went through all this and learned it the hard way. BMW owners will learn with time as well. He'll find that out if he keeps on dragging his chipped 335. The thing is most of these guys who chip their 335s without a proper upgrade of the drivetrain run around with 400hp+ that is more on paper than anywhere else. How often do they actually put it down, and what would happen to the drivetrain if they put it down for sustained periods of time? That's where the oil coolers and the rest come in, and even then that can help only so much. Of course, never mind that the M3 suspension setup is completely redesigned with lightweight parts and different geometry and the chassis is strengthened to increase stiffness, and the steering rack is different for more precision, and the brakes are larger and better for faster stopping and all that. And the M3 does have lightweight 19" wheels, and SteelTorque doesn't even know about them, but will talk about them regardless. These are the facts, and these people who keep on posting here claiming chip+coil over = M3 just don't get it, and most likely never will for whatever reason...
      07-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #147
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwprince4life View Post
Face it, the M3 is better than any 335. My bro has one and I drive it all the time, so I know all the differences between the cars.

M3 is better because:
1.M3 looks much hotter then 335. 335 is always mistakened with 328i coupe.
.The wider body
. Shiny quad mufflers
. Black trim
.Carbon fiber roof

2. Handling
.M3 MUCH MUCH smoother drive. Driving max speed 155 MPH feels like 100 MPH.
.Best steering wheel compared with 6 series and 335 like thickness,feel,grip.
.Handling is far more advanced then a 335. Easier to manuever without the driver/passengers flying out of there seats. The seats keep you strapped in.
. Everything inside the 335 feels cheap compared to the m3 like leather feel etc.
.Engine sound is much nicer in idle, take off, etc. even with a chipped 335 with exhaust unplug mod.

Now 335 chipped Vs. M3
1. We know the M3 is capable of being able to hit max speed and acceleration all the time without the ENGINE BLOWING UP!!
So many 335 chipped end up blowing their engine. Just last week my friends 335 v2 told me 3 cylinders on his car are blown. The 335 can't handle it, sooner or later it will perish.
2.By the time you are done modding it, all the warranties will be voided and there will be some wear and tear on the car from all the mods that had to be done to get it fast enough to compete with m3.
3. Much higher chance of piece in 335 to malfunction vs. m3 because its aftermarket. Meaning, you will pay for replacements plus if a BMW part malfunctions, then that will cost TONS.

Add up all the costs to mod the 335, plus no warranty,maintenance charges, and cost to maintain it. You will be spending 70+ for the car and it will look just like any regular 3 series that cost $40 grand. My friend said it will cost him $14,000 at least to fix his car the dealer said.

approx. $50 grand + $14 grand= $64 grand without costs of mods he did, plus costs of maintenance etc. The car is 1 yr old and he paid that much. M3 is covered for 50000 miles worry free.

You can get an M3 with DCT for $60000.
totally

I said "performance wise". Don't talk to me about anything else.

Drag race: Is the 335 + chip even with the M3? YES

Track course: Is the 335 + chip + coilovers close to the M3? YES

End of story.

Don't speculate to me about warranty, blown engine etc...any car will and can have problems. I know a lot of local modded 335 guys and never have they had a problem. Speculation and bench racing goes hand in hand.

Do you recall how many problems the E46 M3's had?

Just sit and wait, we'll see if the new M3 will have issues. It's too early to tell.

BTW: check the "report your problems with the M3" thread by T-bone and then come back here and tell me the M3 is problem-free.
      07-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #148
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep

Fine, you dont care about that?
I will get a nissan 350z to smoke the shit out of your 335 man.
That dont make any sense. Almosy Any car modded can probably keep up with a fast car
      07-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #149
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Yep, that's exactly what it takes hundreds of M engineers a year or two to figure out, but we clearly have better expertise on the internet.

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

internets tuning rules!
      07-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #150
M-Maika
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 AW

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
      07-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #151
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
totally

End of story.

Don't speculate to me about warranty, blown engine etc...any car will and can have problems. I know a lot of local modded 335 guys and never have they had a problem. Speculation and bench racing goes hand in hand.

Just sit and wait, we'll see if the new M3 will have issues. It's too early to tell.

BTW: check the "report your problems with the M3" thread by T-bone and then come back here and tell me the M3 is problem-free.

So are you trying to say the 335 is problem free? You should check the e90post.com thread and see the problems. Oh, I don't have to, I just know the amount of times my bro has taken his 335 in because of malfunctions. Thats good enough for me.

In the long run, the problems will be more with the chipped 335 then the m3. Making engine work harder then it normally was built to will equal PROBLEMS. So while I sit back and wait for problems to happen with the m3, you will be paying for a NEW ENGINE !!!
      07-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #152
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwprince4life View Post
So are you trying to say the 335 is problem free? You should check the e90post.com thread and see the problems. Oh, I don't have to, I just know the amount of times my bro has taken his 335 in because of malfunctions. Thats good enough for me.

In the long run, the problems will be more with the chipped 335 then the m3. Making engine work harder then it normally was built to will equal PROBLEMS. So while I sit back and wait for problems to happen with the m3, you will be paying for a NEW ENGINE !!!
lol. I need a new fuel pump...
      07-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #153
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
totally

End of story.

Again dude I am not hating. I love BMWS!
My family sticks to BMWs. I love the 335, M3 and all line of cars. The m3 and 335 are 2 different cars, and are not compareable. Like I said, a fixed up honda civic will smoke the 335 from what I have seen with my eyes. So the only way you can really compare a modded 335 with an m3 is if you make it a modded m3. Now, Modded m3 vs. Modded 335, who do you think will win?
      07-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #154
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
BMWPrince, have you even read the thread? We're talking about performance differences and you talk about:

.The wider body
. Shiny quad mufflers
. Black trim

Your thought process boggles my mind.
Appreciate 0