BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

12-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Why do WRX and EVO drivers think its cool to sound like a old school VW bug?

The WRX

The bug.....

Seriously...WTF? I think its annoying and obnoxious as can be.

Really cant stand WRX's and evo's...dont care they are quick...they are fugly...and the wings???

Sorry, just had a run in with a douchbag WRX guy...I didnt race him cause I didnt have to, my car comes equipped with CLASS....his has a wing meant for the space shuttle.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Lol why you hating? They're cool cars just not meant for everybody. The owners of these cars dont care much about luxury so don't compare them to your car

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

lol, dont' be a douche.
I hate the sound of 4 bangers too and free flowing exhaust doesn't help.
But that's what it takes to make power which leaves most cars with CLASS in dust and black exhaust soot.
      12-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
The WRX/STi has such a unique exhaust note due to its boxer motor layout. I love it. Used to have a 04 STi, man I miss it!

WRX/STi>EVO
      12-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir87 View Post
The WRX/STi has such a unique exhaust note due to its boxer motor layout. I love it. Used to have a 04 STi, man I miss it!

WRX/STi>EVO
+1

Its not that WRX/STI owners choose to make it sound like a VW Bug, its just the design of the engine.

Both the WRX & VW BUG have boxer engine design that creates the rumble sound.

Porshces also have the rumble sound because it also uses a boxer engine

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

hmm thats the nicest sounding old school bug ive heard haha

not a fan of wrx/sti or evos either
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Well scratch Porsche off my list. To each their own but IMO it sounds like a riding lawnmower.

Must be the college town nearby. Most of the modded wrx guys seem to be of that age in this area.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
Well scratch Porsche off my list. To each their own but IMO it sounds like a riding lawnmower.

Must be the college town nearby. Most of the modded wrx guys seem to be of that age in this area.
I see that your from Colorado. WRX/Evo's must be dime a dozen in your area maybe because it's AWD and it snows a lot there. IMHO.
      12-29-2009, 02:45 AM   #9
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
+1

Its not that WRX/STI owners choose to make it sound like a VW Bug, its just the design of the engine.

This.

Also, Evos don't sound anywhere near a VW bug. I don't really see what bothers you. Besides, almost every other WRX/STI/Evo owner takes off the rear wing around here.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
The wings are on there so that they can be homologated for WRC use. They actually function, as well.

I always find it funny that guys that bitch about ricers choice of form over function hate on something that is function over form...

And those of us that grew up around all sorts of performance cars in both drag racing and road racing know what performance engines of all sizes sound like, and accept them for what they are, EVEN if we have individual preferences. We know what an old school Alfa or BMW 4 cyl sounds like when built for road racing use, and accept that soujd. Same with classic air cooled Porsches and VWs. Same goes for modern WRC cars. I can still prefer a certain sound, but I can also accept all the other performance sounds.

Maybe when you grow up, you will too.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
The wings are on there so that they can be homologated for WRC use. They actually function, as well.

I always find it funny that guys that bitch about ricers choice of form over function hate on something that is function over form...

And those of us that grew up around all sorts of performance cars in both drag racing and road racing know what performance engines of all sizes sound like, and accept them for what they are, EVEN if we have individual preferences. We know what an old school Alfa or BMW 4 cyl sounds like when built for road racing use, and accept that soujd. Same with classic air cooled Porsches and VWs. Same goes for modern WRC cars. I can still prefer a certain sound, but I can also accept all the other performance sounds.

Maybe when you grow up, you will too.
^ couldn't have said better.
      12-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Big surprise you think your better than everyone else. Get off your high horse and enjoy your car and let others enjoy theirs.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

because the 335i is just such a symphony for the ears and all
      12-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
+1

The WRX has a unique rumble because the headers are unequal length, if you put on equal length headers the car sounds totally different.

And to the OP...sounds like you're a pretty big douche too, personifying the BMW stereotype of people who think they're better than everyone else.

I own an STi and a BMW, I love both cars for different reasons. Yes, the BMW is way more luxurious and refined. But the STi is just a raw, visceral experience that is a blast to drive. And say what you will about Subarus, my STi has over 40k miles and is putting out 150% of the stock horsepower (380whp), still on the stock clutch. I've never had to take that car in for repairs. My 135i had both tail lights go out in less than 2,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
The WRX has a unique rumble because the headers are unequal length, if you put on equal length headers the car sounds totally different.

And to the OP...sounds like you're a pretty big douche too, personifying the BMW stereotype of people who think they're better than everyone else.

I own an STi and a BMW, I love both cars for different reasons. Yes, the BMW is way more luxurious and refined. But the STi is just a raw, visceral experience that is a blast to drive. And say what you will about Subarus, my STi has over 40k miles and is putting out 150% of the stock horsepower (380whp), still on the stock clutch. I've never had to take that car in for repairs. My 135i had both tail lights go out in less than 2,000 miles.
This is correct. Unfortunately I hate the sound of the STI/WRX with equal length headers. I love the sound of the boxer motor. Porche have a rumble also when modified. My C4 with an intake and no air box sounds awesome. More even as it has equal length headers, but very full and throaty.

I love the sound of the subies. TEIO!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
PLAY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AWE92N54

I love how people are throwing in Porsche into this thread.
A WRX STi, sounds nothing like a Porsche. You can't compare a WRX STI to a Porsche. Enough said.

Heres an example. And this is only a CAYMAN S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post

You can't say anything about a cars reliablity by saying your 135i has burnt tail lights. Having burnt taillights is hit or miss, not a mechanical error.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAY View Post
I love how people are throwing in Porsche into this thread.
A WRX STi, sounds nothing like a Porsche. You can't compare a WRX STI to a Porsche. Enough said.

Heres an example. And this is only a CAYMAN S.

You can't say anything about a cars reliablity by saying your 135i has burnt tail lights. Having burnt taillights is hit or miss, not a mechanical error.
A Cayman sounds nothing like an old air cooled porsche with the air box removed. I owned an STI for 3 years and I own a 1991 C4, so why wouldn't I compare them? That cayman has equal length headers so NO it won't sound the same.

As far as reliability you can compare. Electrical issues plague BMW's historically. Subaru is far more reliable, not to mention the cost of parts. Heck a new shortblock from the factory is less expensive than the 335i HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1

Thank you for the reply as to why it sounds that way. I did not know this and plead ignorance of the motor on that one.

A couple of things to address.

1. Yes, I do feel I am 'better' then picking a street race with someone. I have 'grown up' and out of that stage, I dont need to prove to anyone how fast or slow my car is.

2. No, WRX's are not a dime a dozen here, but what is a common theme, is the ones that are modded all seem to be 19-23 year old college guys, hence him just being at the 'age' of needing to do that stuff I guess.

3. It does not snow here in CO all of the time. In the Mtns, yes, on the front range, no. This has been an obscene winter, especially in the northern CO front range. 50+" this winter so far. Last winter we had 10" until April came when we got 30"...that was an anomolly too. We might get snow often in winter, but for every snow day, we have days of 50-60 degress thrown in there too.

4. As for performance engine sounds, I grew up on muscle car V8's. That being said, could by why I hate the sound of the WRX and bomby ricers so much. I know my 335 cant sound like a V8 so I dont even try to make it sound that way. M3, AMG, Audi S4 v8 sounds are awesome, just not practical for DD use.

5. I think the wing looks ugly. De-classes the car IMO. Smaller wing, like on the non STI look fine.

6. I guess I am just not a fan of having anything too riced out. Again, too each their own, whatever floats your boat. After all, its your car.

Flame away. I stand behind my reasoning.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #19
PLAY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AWE92N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
A Cayman sounds nothing like an old air cooled porsche with the air box removed. I owned an STI for 3 years and I own a 1991 C4, so why wouldn't I compare them? That cayman has equal length headers so NO it won't sound the same.

As far as reliability you can compare. Electrical issues plague BMW's historically. Subaru is far more reliable, not to mention the cost of parts. Heck a new shortblock from the factory is less expensive than the 335i HPFP.
Thats a really old Porsche...

How can you compare a STI which is turbo charged, to a 1991 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S which is NOT turbo charged? Like seriously. A 1991 Porsche is old, compared to your STI.
If you compare your STI 2000-2007 (GDB-F), compare it to a Porsche 911 Turbo 996. Not a effing C4 from 1991. How can you compare a car which is 10 years older?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAY View Post
Thats a really old Porsche...

How can you compare a STI which is turbo charged, to a 1991 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S which is NOT turbo charged? Like seriously. A 1991 Porsche is old, compared to your STI.
If you compare your STI 2000-2007 (GDB-F), compare it to a Porsche 911 Turbo 996. Not a effing C4 from 1991. How can you compare a car which is 10 years older?
????? I was comparing sound, and a new 997 with a short ram and no air box sounds just about the same. The turbo by the way has absolutely nothing to do with the boxer sound. The boxer sound is produced by a boxer motor.

If you are referring to performance, then the 964 is a better comparison to an STI than the 996.

Not really sure where you are coming from.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post

1. Yes, I do feel I am 'better' then picking a street race with someone. I have 'grown up' and out of that stage, I dont need to prove to anyone how fast or slow my car is.
We weren't talking about people wanting to race, but talking about how you feel you are a higher class human being due simply to the kind of car you drive. "Class" and status are obviously very important to you, which is why we said grow up.

Quote:
4. As for performance engine sounds, I grew up on muscle car V8's. That being said, could by why I hate the sound of the WRX and bomby ricers so much. I know my 335 cant sound like a V8 so I dont even try to make it sound that way. M3, AMG, Audi S4 v8 sounds are awesome, just not practical for DD use.
That's just it. Not all performance engines sound like V8s. And most people building modded 6 and 4 cyl cars aren't trying to make their cars SOUND like V8s. It's just that when you mod them for performance, the sound they make is the sound they make. Go out to an SCCA or FIA road race and listen to the wide variety of sounds. Listen to performance motorcycles. THEY don't sound like V8s, either, and have yet a different sound altogether. A REAL enthusiast would be able to accept ALL the varying sounds of performance for what they are, not require them to be ONLY his/her version of what it should sound like. YOUR 335 should NOT sound like a V8. It should sound like a medium sized inline 6.

Quote:
5. I think the wing looks ugly. De-classes the car IMO. Smaller wing, like on the non STI look fine.
Then your opinion is based on mistaken information. The wing is about homologating them for WRC use, meaning they are the \higher class versions of the car, if you were at all class sensitive. It's fully functional, and necessary for the car's intended role in the automotive performance spectrum.

Quote:
6. I guess I am just not a fan of having anything too riced out.
Damn, I wish Bryan had never come up with that term, because the ignorant now use it to describe ANY car built/modded in a way they don't like. Factory Evos and STis are not riced out. They have purpose and function.

It's gotten so that the performance cars that ricers emulate are considered rice by people who haven't been around long enough to understand which concept came first. Rice is a slow economy car trying to look fast, even though it's still slow. Rice is NOT a race car, a factory homologated race car, or actual performance car.

Quote:
Again, too each their own, whatever floats your boat. After all, its your car.
If you really felt that way, you'd have never made this thread, because you would not have cared what others do to their cars.

Quote:
Flame away. I stand behind my reasoning.
Ahh, the old "my mind's made up, don't confuse me with facts" gambit. Holding tightly to a misinformed opinion is way more important than learning something and actually knowing what you're talking about, huh?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #22
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I actually dont mind the STI sound. It is definitely more unique. The one thing that I dont care for is how some have the massive 'juice can' muffler hanging two inches from the ground.
Appreciate 0