BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #67
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Was your car CPOed? I'm curious. I would think CPO cars would have everything up to date.
Mine is not CPO.
      04-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #68
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
Can you post how much this will be if dealer will not cover it? I have a cpo as well and I'm due for service soon. Just wanna know how much lube I have to bring with me.
My dealer quoted "about" $250.
      04-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #69
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
I have received a few PM's and emails asking about this software version. We have been tuning with 231E since its release. When a customer orders our performance software they are updated to a tuned version of 231E automatically so there is no need to get this update before purchasing our tune.
Interesting....this seems logical.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #70
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
I have received a few PM's and emails asking about this software version. We have been tuning with 231E since its release. When a customer orders our performance software they are updated to a tuned version of 231E automatically so there is no need to get this update before purchasing our tune.
Huh, interesting. Doesn't this mean that your other modules will be out of sync, if you are just updating the main DME software?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #71
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Huh, interesting. Doesn't this mean that your other modules will be out of sync, if you are just updating the main DME software?
231E is backwards compatable with older module software. If you want to update older module software at the dealer you can but it is not required to update the ECU to 231E.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #72
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntgetm3 View Post
So I've got to ask for the " ISTA/P SW versions (2.46.1 at this time)"
You shouldn't have to specify the update as dealers will always have the latest up-to-date versions.

Alternatively, you can seek an autologic flashing facility (such as us) as a dealer alternative.
How does the autologic software work? Is it something that you need to manually update (ie buy software updates every so often)?

I have some shops by me with autologic but how can I be sure I would be receiving the latest flash.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #73
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
How does the autologic software work? Is it something that you need to manually update (ie buy software updates every so often)?

I have some shops by me with autologic but how can I be sure I would be receiving the latest flash.
As long as your autologic-based facility has a current subscription (annual), they will be able to obtain the latest updates.

For others that have aftermarket tunes already, we can also check to verify you are on the latest version.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #74
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
231E is backwards compatable with older module software. If you want to update older module software at the dealer you can but it is not required to update the ECU to 231E.
Right, but remember that the system the dealership uses will throw errors if you try to update it and the modules don't match. I know that updating the light control module on my old 335i made the dealership's computer barf when they tried to update. (I had to replace it with a friend's unit that had the original software on it)

I don't know what happens when the module is older than the main DME software, but I do know that it can barf when the module is newer. Not trying to throw you guys under the bus, but the other tuners usually don't update the DME software without updating the modules, just curious if you guys are doing something special or if the customer will have issues if they try to get their software updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #75
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Right, but remember that the system the dealership uses will throw errors if you try to update it and the modules don't match. I know that updating the light control module on my old 335i made the dealership's computer barf when they tried to update. (I had to replace it with a friend's unit that had the original software on it)

I don't know what happens when the module is older than the main DME software, but I do know that it can barf when the module is newer. Not trying to throw you guys under the bus, but the other tuners usually don't update the DME software without updating the modules, just curious if you guys are doing something special or if the customer will have issues if they try to get their software updated.
I have never had a report of an issue with an updated ECU causing issues with control module software in a vehicle from a customer and we have tuned hundreds of cars. If it is a concern you can always load your original stock software file back to the car with our E-flash before dealer visits. At this point your original software will be back to what the vehicle had in it before any tuning was done.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #76
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes
Quote:
Can you post how much this will be if dealer will not cover it? I have a cpo as well and I'm due for service soon. Just wanna know how much lube I have to bring with me.
My dealer quoted "about" $250.
Thank you. Not as bad as I thought.
      04-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #77
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
DME can be updated independently without issues.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #78
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
This is similar to swapping the idrive control in an early '08 car to the newer version. When you go to update the software it will fail if it finds the new controller. For this whenever I take the car for an update I put back the old idrive controller for a complete integration.

The BMW software update system is smart and will pick up even the smallest annomoly. Also when updating the software on the BMW system you cannot carry out the update for individual components. You have to do the who car.

The other issue with the software update is that components may fail during the integration especially the telephone control module. The dealers won't take the responsibility for the component failure and so does BMW. Hence the reason they don't offer free update or encourage updates unless there is an obvious issue with car. If one is prepared to replace the failed component and prepared to pay for the workshop time for a total integration - which could be as long as 6-8 hours - then stealer will perform the update for you.
I have been though all this in the first two years of ownership. Thank you very much.
      04-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #79
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

So I just came back from the dealership and this is the version I have. They said it was done sometime in 2011.
I-level plant E89X-08-03-520
Integrated level, HO E89X-11-03-502
New integration level available -yes

If someone could decode this and let me know which version of the DME I have, I'd greatly appreciate it.
The SA said the update will cost $284 but the disclaimer is they will not be responsible if any modules break after the update is done. Also, they said it will not do anything performance wise.

Your thoughts.

Last edited by italyix; 04-19-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #80
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
So I just came back from the dealership and this is the version I have. They said it was done sometime in 2011.
I-level plant E89X-08-03-520
Integrated level, HO E89X-11-03-502
New integration level available -yes

If someone could decode this and let me know which version of the DME I have, I'd greatly appreciate it.
The SA said the update will cost $284 but the disclaimer is they will not be responsible if any modules break after the update is done. Also, they said it will not do anything performance wise.

Your thoughts.
You are on a very old version of software, part of version v29.1.1, this has not been updated in quite some time. Without a baseline dyno before/after the update is applied - there is no way to accurately gauge if you are gaining hp as a result.

Early builds (08-09) on older software versions (060E, 080E, 100E) would likely be the ones that see measurable benefits rather than those M3s running later flashes. Still, it's a good idea to get updated to the latest version before applying aftermarket tunes.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #81
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
You are on a very old version of software, part of version v29.1.1, this has not been updated in quite some time. Without a baseline dyno before/after the update is applied - there is no way to accurately gauge if you are gaining hp as a result.

Early builds (08-09) on older software versions (060E, 080E, 100E) would likely be the ones that see measurable benefits rather than those M3s running later flashes. Still, it's a good idea to get updated to the latest version before applying aftermarket tunes.
Tom, much appreciated.
      04-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #82
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:

Usually, I consider the butt dyno gains to be placebo, but I can definitely feel a difference!

If you have an old version, a dyno, and autologic nearby, this is worthwhile IMO. Hell, if 20 HP+ gains are possible (they are IME at least), it's worth the $284 the stealership is asking.
      04-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #83
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO
Quote:

Usually, I consider the butt dyno gains to be placebo, but I can definitely feel a difference!

If you have an old version, a dyno, and autologic nearby, this is worthwhile IMO. Hell, if 20 HP+ gains are possible (they are IME at least), it's worth the $284 the stealership is asking.
Exactly. Plus I have been advised to flash to the latest version before getting a tune.
      04-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #84
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Tom, in my other dyno thread you said this same "integration level" that I quoted for my car equated to v 2.41.x. How does that relate to the version you quote above? Just curious how to interpret the various version numbers floating around (understanding that they don't necessarily relate to improved power.) Thanks.
      04-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #85
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Tom, in my other dyno thread you said this same "integration level" that I quoted for my car equated to v 2.41.x. How does that relate to the version you quote above? Just curious how to interpret the various version numbers floating around (understanding that they don't necessarily relate to improved power.) Thanks.
Best way to tell would be to have it ID'd first, which is where the autologic comes in handy - we had the specific ID window integrated for any Autologic-equipped facility to easily find our for you. The Evolve (or other eFlash cables) will also show the SW version within the file name during the read/backup process.

The DME needs to be ID and/or read - with the proper equipment. Otherwise, it's just a guessing game.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #86
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:

But what about ESS tune? As Roman said its all up to date? Kill two birds with one stone or no?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #87
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Drives: Slow

This thread has caused a large amount of emails to come in asking if we can update.

The answer is yes we can.

So, anyone with evolve tuning right now can request a full update to 231E and also have the latest calibration.

Existing customers - please send your email to data@evolveautomotive.com

We will get back to you with a new tune and the 231E software with our latest version of evolve-R software also.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #88
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
This thread has caused a large amount of emails to come in asking if we can update.

The answer is yes we can.

So, anyone with evolve tuning right now can request a full update to 231E and also have the latest calibration.

Existing customers - please send your email to data@evolveautomotive.com

We will get back to you with a new tune and the 231E software with our latest version of evolve-R software also.
Very nice of you guys!!!
Appreciate 0