BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Buffalo
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

When upgrading, do you need new TPMS sensors?

Greetings everyone,

I have a question I hope all of you could help me with. My M3 has 18" wheels and I am planning on upgrading them to 19" in the near future. Would I need to purchase another set of TMPS sensors? I am a little confused because it seems that every website that sells wheels for our car offers TPMS sensors. Thank you all for your time!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
KingKye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

You can but you can also take the one's off your stock wheels. The choice is yours
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Buffalo
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKye View Post
You can but you can also take the one's off your stock wheels. The choice is yours
Thanks buddy, I appreciate your help. So does that mean if I upgrade to 19", I dont need to puchase another set of TMPS sensors because my 18" wheels aready have them and can be transfered? Any input would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
You can buy them at tire rack.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

Like KingKye stated you can transfer them, but it's more convenient to have them purchased as a wheel and tire set and have them mounted and balanced at tirerack. That makes it easier to keep the 18's for later use like for all season, snow or even track tires. Yes they can be transfered, they are a universal design, they are just senders of the tire pressure the on board computer makes the calulations.
      08-19-2008, 03:02 AM   #6
Buffalo
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
Like KingKye stated you can transfer them, but it's more convenient to have them purchased as a wheel and tire set and have them mounted and balanced at tirerack. That makes it easier to keep the 18's for later use like for all season, snow or even track tires. Yes they can be transfered, they are a universal design, they are just senders of the tire pressure the on board computer makes the calulations.
Thanks BCMPOWER, I appreciate your info! I understand the concept now...I will more than likely buy new TPMS sensors with my 19" wheel/tire combo and save the 18" set in case of an emergency. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0