BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Eebs2011
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Bringing my US Spec E92 to Germany

Hi All-

I will be working in Duesseldorf on a 2 year assignment for my company and I am planning to bring my 2011 E92 M3 with me.

I've done a lot of research on-line, but most info is for US Military personnel and they have special rules that won't apply in my case. As far as I can tell, I won't have to pay the import duties (since I've owned it at least 6 months) but I will have to pass a safety check and pay the taxes based on the engine size and emissions in order to register it.

Has anyone ever done this? Are there major modifications that I will need to make in order to pass inspection?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Rebecca
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Can't help you much but I used to have a US E92 M3 here in Germany which was converted to EU spec and I can tell you that the inspection part heavily relies on where you take it. My car didn't have the headlight washers (they're required by law here for xenon headlights!) and yet the previous owner not only got the car imported but also somehow got it through the inspection every two years

Edit: Most of the stuff can be achieved via coding. Your car needs a back fog light (not sure if all US cars have that) with the button next to the knob. There's some companies that specialized in importing cars to Germany, maybe check with them.

Edit-2: I'm no expert but dealing with such bureaucratic bullsh*t here is VERY annoying and if you've never done it before you'll pull your hair out. There's usually a lot of paper work involved and many certificates ("Gutachten") to be acquired about emissions, lights, ...

Last edited by ellekz; 06-02-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz View Post
Can't help you much but I used to have a US E92 M3 here in Germany which was converted to EU spec and I can tell you that the inspection part heavily relies on where you take it. My car didn't have the headlight washers (they're required by law here for xenon headlights!) and yet the previous owner not only got the car imported but also somehow got it through the inspection every two years

Edit: Most of the stuff can be achieved via coding. Your car needs a back fog light (not sure if all US cars have that) with the button next to the knob. There's some companies that specialized in importing cars to Germany, maybe check with them.

Edit-2: I'm no expert but dealing with such bureaucratic bullsh*t here is VERY annoying and if you've never done it before you'll pull your hair out. There's usually a lot of paper work involved and many certificates ("Gutachten") to be acquired about emissions, lights, ...
Wow, I am glad I don't have to deal with any of that sh*t. Headlight washers being mandatory for xenon lights? Wtf for? Where's the correlation between the two? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other Sometimes I don't understand German laws.

OP: Sorry I can't be of more help. Being in the Military, my car is literally exempt from all of the European Spec vs US Spec issues you will likely have to deal with. We literally ship our cars over and register them through the Military under the USAREUR SOFA agreement. We still have to go through the VERY strict inspection every 2 years like you will, but no real modifications to the vehicle are necessary for us.

I will say, you will enjoy Germany. If it is at all feasible (even if you have to jump through hoops) bring the ///M over. It was built for German Autobahns, and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to drive on the Nuerburgring and the Hockheimring. Duesseldorf isn't terribly far from me (maybe 2.5 hours?) I could hook you up with the ///M Flight guys if you aren't already a member and were interested in joining. [/salespitch]
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
K.M. Tim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 M3  [2.00]
2012 BMW F30 w/ M S ...  [0.00]
I'm 45mins away in Sittard, NL.
      06-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
Eebs2011
Rep

Thanks for the insights! I am already resigned to being annoyed with German bureaucracy for the next several months. But the pay-off should be worth it...no more need for my V1 radar detector. I thought I'd read somewhere about rear fog-lights but couldn't find it again. The headlight washer are new to me. I'm sure with patience and many euros this will work out eventually.

Good idea about looking for a company in Germany that I could work with- know of any? I will ask the Google as well.

I wonder if a dealer would be able to do the mods easily...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Eebs2011
Rep

...and what is this ///M Flight that you're pitching me?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eebs2011 View Post
Rebecca , ///M Flight is a community of ///M car/drivers/members ...events , meetings ect .
BTW...When moving to Germany just prepare a lot of $USD , because Euro prices are US prices X 2 .
In other words....be prepared because Euro prices are insane !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Thanks for the insights! I am already resigned to being annoyed with German bureaucracy for the next several months. But the pay-off should be worth it...no more need for my V1 radar detector. I thought I'd read somewhere about rear fog-lights but couldn't find it again. The headlight washer are new to me. I'm sure with patience and many euros this will work out eventually.

Good idea about looking for a company in Germany that I could work with- know of any? I will ask the Google as well.

I wonder if a dealer would be able to do the mods easily...
rear fog lights can be activated easily with a swap of a euro headlight switch ($150) or the lego mod, which is free.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-S65_4.0L/ES1899562/
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531296

btw, how much taxes are you looking to pay at DE for this car?
      06-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Rebecca , ///M Flight is a community of ///M car/drivers/members ...events , meetings ect .
BTW...When moving to Germany just prepare a lot of $USD , because Euro prices are US prices X 2 .
In other words....be prepared because Euro prices are insane !
What he said^

///M Flight is a car "club" (I hate that word, but I am using it for a lack of better terms) formed in 2008 in Germany with 400+ members at this point. It costs nothing, so my "sales pitch" was facetious. It's just a bunch of individuals with a similar passion for ///M cars that organize meets and cruises and other events. Only requirement to join is that you own an ///M vehicle. They are in the US too, but being that it started over here in Europe their presence is much more known over here.

bcscout (posted up there somewhere ^^) would be the guy you should talk to if you want to join when you get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
rear fog lights can be activated easily with a swap of a euro headlight switch ($150) or the lego mod, which is free.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-S65_4.0L/ES1899562/
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531296

btw, how much taxes are you looking to pay at DE for this car?
Did US Spec vehicles sold in Europe from Military dealerships under the overseas Military program come with the Euro fog switch and rear fogs activated? My 2011 E90 has the switch with the button for the rear fogs (with the symbol on it). Rear fogs work just by pressing the button I wonder if a previous owner installed the Euro fog switch and activated the lights, or if my vehicle came with it for some reason? Not sure if it matters, but I have things like Cold Weather Package, Technology Package, etc.

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 06-03-2015 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #10
Eebs2011
Rep

Super. Thanks for the info on the fog lights.

My car is getting picked up today for the long journey so any alterations are going to have to happen in Deutschland.

I shouldn't have to pay import taxes since I'm giving up my US residence to move to Germany, I've owned it for at least 6 mo and I will keep it for at least 12 months after arrival. Just the taxes associated with registering it. I'm sure that will be cheap. Right? haha

It would be great to meet other like minded folks...I arrive end of June.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
PortoM3
M3lover
Germany
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

I too brought a car over to Europe. mine is in England right now. I had to instal the rear foglight switch. the lamp is already in the back, but we don't have the switch. As others stated it's about 150 dollars for the switch. The ONLY thing that is annoying is that every time I brake hard, I get a warning that my right brake light/tail light is out. As you guys know when we brake hard, an extra set of lamps come on. After turning the car off and on again, the warning goes away. the lamp tail light is not out, the car just gets confused thinking it is since the lamp is pulling double duty as rear fog light and brake light. I have never had to use the fog lights even once since I been here. I only drive my car on super sunny days. Good luck. oh, I will be doing to Germany in September after I get my ESS installed. I want to take the car on the autobahn. I love Germany.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
bcscout (posted up there somewhere ^^) would be the guy you should talk to if you want to join when you get here.

...My 2011 E90 has the switch with the button for the rear fogs (with the symbol on it). Rear fogs work just by pressing the button I wonder if a previous owner installed the Euro fog switch and activated the lights, or if my vehicle came with it for some reason? ...
bscout is the guy to talk to. There are no fees and we basically get together for events and lots of fun things to do in Europe. We tend to meet up at racing events, car shows, factory/museum tours, cars and coffee, that sort of thing. Like you mentioned, a group of like minded individuals that have the added bonus of an autobahn... We are on facebook as well.

The previous owner definitely modded the switch. We do not get that feature. I wish we did along with amber tail light blinkers. I used the fog mod thread and it took me about 5 min to do the whole thing. Its come in handy and it is required in Germany.

Any modifications you have done to the car will require TUV approval and paperwork. Anything. Exhaust, intake, etc. TUV is a car inspection that is quite extensive. They check EVERYTHING. So if your car is stock, youll be ok. If not, youre going to have to get paperwork for it...

And if you have any window tint on the front windows, be prepared to remove it or the polizei will catch you and fine you 100Euros. Ask me how I know... Plus it wont pass TUV.

But, all said and done, once you have the car on the road, it will be the most amazing time you will have. The car is at home in Germany and you will hate going back to the states afterwards. Im here on a short trip in AZ and despise driving. Why do people not move out of the left lane and why must they pass on the right?!? Sigh... Anyway, enjoy your stay in Germany. And get out and see stuff. Go everywhere. Tour TOUR TOUR!
      06-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #13
Eebs2011
Rep

The car is at the shipper. It will be containerized and shipped out early next week with estimated arrival in mid-July.

Thanks to the link above, I was able to make the mod to the button and I now have rear fog lights. That's pretty rad.
My car is bone stock so hoping that will help w/ the TUV.

I can't wait to drive it all over Europe. Nothin' like a road trip and I'm guessing there's NOTHING like a road trip on the autobahn in an M.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #14
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Let us know when you get here. If you are on Facebook we can add you to the M Flight page to get you involved. We do monthly meets in Kaiserslautern. Its a little bit of a drive but you should try and make it to one when you get here.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Headlight washers being mandatory for xenon lights? Wtf for? Where's the correlation between the two? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other Sometimes I don't understand German laws.
IIRC, the light xenon emits is actually much more prone to stray if it hits dirt particles etc. So I guess they assume if your headlights are dirty you are much more likely to blind oncoming traffic or something. So everytime you hit the lever to wash your windshield, the headlights get washed too.

Quote:
Just the taxes associated with registering it. I'm sure that will be cheap. Right?
It depends on the state ("Bundesland", in your case NRW) but the yearly tax should only be around 300 EUR since it's not a dirty Diesel.
The insurance is alot more though and HEAVILY depends on your reputation and the insurance company (although most insurance companies pretty much provide the same benefits/service but prices still vary heavily). I'm not sure what kind of initial reputation they'll give you, but we natives all start at around 240% and for every year you drive an insured car without accidents, you get dropped by 5-15% and your insurance gets a lot cheaper. I'm at 45% right now and have a pretty sweet deal for only 1800 EUR per year including theft coverage and road kill. A newbie would probably have to pay around 6000 EUR per year. You can decide if you wanna pay monthly, quarterly or yearly. Paying monthly or yearly gets you a discount.
From experience I can tell you that insurance agents can get you a much better deal than any price comparison site. So if you can, you should somehow find someone who lives in Düsseldorf and knows a good insurance agent so he can hook you up
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:01 AM   #16
Eebs2011
Rep

Update on my import project:
My car is here but I am still trying to get it registered. I have learned a new word "Schnitzeljagd" which pretty much captures my experience so far. I have been to the dealer 2x, DEKRA 1x, the TUEV 2x and now I'm supposed to call the "Institut für Fahrzeugtechnik und Mobilität."
I have a data sheet with the engine/ exhaust specs for the car but evidently, the TUEV needs info on the glass, brakes, lights, etc.
No import duties required since I'm bringing it as part of my move. Insurance was quite expensive- I got one quote for 6660/ year but then found a different company that would take proof that I had insurance in the US and they are "only" charging me 2300/ year for "Vollkasko".
I'm going to be a pro at this by the time I jump through all the hoops. I'll post what I find out in case others go this route in the future.

I hope I'll be able to meet up with you all in the near future...hopefully before winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope I'll be able to meet up with you all in the near future...hopefully before winter.
Better hurry, winter is fast approaching. Wont be long before all the car meets and shows are done for the year and 90% of the Ms go into hibernation for the winter.

How are you liking Germany so far, besides the hassle getting the car over here? Good call on finding cheaper insurance. American companies rip us off over here, but insurance in Germany is expensive regardless. German companies definitely give you a break though.

Good luck with the rest of your transition. Sounds like its been a nightmare dealing with the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #18
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have learned a new word "Schnitzeljagd" which pretty much captures my experience so far. I have been to the dealer 2x, DEKRA 1x, the TUEV 2x and now I'm supposed to call the "Institut für Fahrzeugtechnik und Mobilität."
I have a data sheet with the engine/ exhaust specs for the car but evidently, the TUEV needs info on the glass, brakes, lights, etc.
Like I said, it would've probably only taken a couple of days with some importer and saved you the headache

Quote:
they are "only" charging me 2300/ year for "Vollkasko".
2300 EUR per year with Vollkasko included is actually a REALLY good deal! I'm quite jealous. I'm not even sure how you pulled that off. I just checked a price comparison website and even if you're the perfect candidate (20+ years of driving accident free under Vollkasko, own garage, no penalties on your license, etc.) with the worst deal conditions (high deductibles, no say in dealership/repair), the cheapest Vollkasko insurance is still quoting me 2200+ EUR, the second one is 2400 EUR.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #19
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So did you ever get your car taken care of and get settled in? Winter is fast approaching. 80% of ///M's go in the garage within the next 4-6 weeks.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #20
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
So did you ever get your car taken care of and get settled in? Winter is fast approaching. 80% of ///M's go in the garage within the next 4-6 weeks.
+ 1 about winter !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0