BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

01-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #23
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

I just wanted to report that my car is having the same issue now. It just started happening yesterday. And I have been waiting for Alpine's fix on the 2010/2011 warning message also. I hope they will take care of us soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #24
Jameson@Alpine
Rep
Drives: BMW

We're taking care of the issue one by one, there was a number of damaged ballasts that have to be replaced. This was a manufacture defect, and we got a new shipment of these ballasts and tested so far 20 or so of 100 and they've all been perfect. Were testing one by one before shipping them or installing them.

Message me for any concerns.

We're here to help.

Thanks

Leo
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 04:41 AM   #25
e92zero
Captain
Rep

pm'ed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #26
Cptn Mo 703
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet

Garage List
Alex will come through for you don't worry!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #27
Jameson@Alpine
Rep

working on the messages sent!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #28
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

ok guys, the problem is quite common among both alpine and camaross HID kits. this is due to the bad ground that our e9x cars have. i have the same issue as well but have since managed to fix it with a simple DIY.

i am sure for some of you guys out there, its a ballast issue but for most, it isnt. here's what you can do to fix it. this is courtesy of camaross.

1. First get the plug that runs to the driver side ballast.
2. Then pull the wire loom back as far as you can to expose the wires.
3. Then cut only the Black wire.
4. Pick up a ring style butt connector from your local hardware store or auto part store and crimp it on the black wire.
5. Then attach the new ground on the driver side shock tower area. Youll see a few grounds i connect this one where you see the yellow connector.
Attached Images

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)

Last edited by montreal red; 01-09-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #29
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
4. Pick up a ring style butt connector from your local hardware store or auto part store and crimp it on the black wire.
5. Then attach the new ground on the driver side shock tower area. Youll see a few grounds i connect this one where you see the yellow connector.
thanks for posting this! i hope this solves my problem but my issue is on the passenger side. guess i'll just have to try and see if it works.
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
Jameson@Alpine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
ok guys, the problem is quite common among both alpine and camaross HID kits. this is due to the bad ground that our e9x cars have. i have the same issue as well but have since managed to fix it with a simple DIY.

i am sure for some of you guys out there, its a ballast issue but for most, it isnt. here's what you can do to fix it. this is courtesy of camaross.

Thanks for posting, however for the past 4 months or so, Alex has been pre cutting and connecting a connector for the drivers side.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #31
e92zero
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the tip but mine has separate connectors for both sides already and it's the passenger side angle eye that's not lighting up.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #32
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@alpine View Post
Thanks for posting, however for the past 4 months or so, Alex has been pre cutting and connecting a connector for the drivers side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
Thanks for the tip but mine has separate connectors for both sides already and it's the passenger side angle eye that's not lighting up.
hmmm, maybe it IS the ballast on my side

i guess that's what i get for buying used instead of direct from camaross
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #33
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@alpine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90///M3` View Post
hmmm, maybe it IS the ballast on my side

i guess that's what i get for buying used instead of direct from camaross
yes, the fix is obviously only for those that have kits with only 1 ground instead of 2. but some of the newer kits already have 2 grounds so i guess it wont apply.

just thought i'd post it anyway because it may help some people who have the older kit.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #34
cwidjojo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

I have the same issue and mine is the newer one which has the 2 grounds. It got worse as the op mentioned over time and now the driver side just completely stops working. I know its not the ballast nor the bulb because alex already sent me a replacement of those and tried both of them with the same result. I'm currently in indonesia, but when I get back to the states I'm definitely recontacting alex to fix this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #35
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
CamaroSS305 kit one side out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
I have a Camaross kit and had this issue from the beginning.

Personally I think it has to do with the start-up voltage to ignite the ballast.
The voltage sent by the car to the DRL is low, since it was just a regular halogen bulb... and somehow these kits require a little more voltage to light up.

It happened to me usually on one side -- until the ballast finally gave up..... so I'm waiting on a new one from Camarross
My Camaro kit (2 grounds) right side just went out recently after 2 full years. Got a new ballast, but did not solve it. Replaced the rest of the kit and still no workie. I've checked the wiring. Next need to pull the lamp (PITA).

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #36
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

why are people even buying this product with the issues they're having? just cause a vendor keeps fixing something doesn't mean the product is any better. just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #37
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

alex is the shit!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #38
Vbcarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 e92

Alex please Pm me on the status of my bulbs and ballast.
2009 Dinan S3-R M3
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #39
bunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I would like for Alex to reply to my PM or texts, too. At this point i just want him to send me the damn replacement so I can do it myself. I feel like that's what he wants to do rather than meet up with me.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #40
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
I would like for Alex to reply to my PM or texts, too. At this point i just want him to send me the damn replacement so I can do it myself. I feel like that's what he wants to do rather than meet up with me.
Wait, I am confused here, you called me, I told you I can meet you whenever you like, you told me if I could meet you in Long Beach, I said not at this time, I never heard from you after that...

I have no problem any time any day to meet up with you and fix your issue. You make it seem as if I was ignoring you? I admit last week and half-two weeks haven't been the best time and I have explained it to as many customers I could, but I'm sure I answered all your calls, and texts...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #41
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by savaho View Post
why are people even buying this product with the issues they're having? just cause a vendor keeps fixing something doesn't mean the product is any better. just my $.02
Agreed. This was my first choice but I think I'll take a pass now.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #42
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman5 View Post
Agreed. This was my first choice but I think I'll take a pass now.
its an aftermarket product and lots of aftermarket solutions have a glitch or two. overall in terms of brightness, there's just nothing brighter out there... the only other really bright solution that i like is OSS led lights but you know how much that costs, not to mention it requires tearing the headlight cluster apart to get to the rings.

recommend me another solution that is just as bright at a price point that is reasonable...

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #43
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

you guys need to calm down...

You do realize that it was the holiday's right?

People have friends and family too

Plus, with all the rain and weather changes in SoCal, it's easy to catch a cold.

So what, someone gets sick and can't get your problem fixed in a week so hell has frozen over now?

When my Z4 HID kit wasn't working properly, Alex made a custom kit, spent a good 3 hours on my Z4.
He didn't need to, but he he choose to.

And when I needed my kit removed from my 335i prior to lemoning it, he met up with me late at night in a parking lot to take it out for me.
Hmm... name any vendor that would do that on here.

Long is a great guy and does great work, but would he meet up with you out of the blue?
How about EAS?
They're a well-known shop that does phenomenal work and will do everything in their power to fix your problem.
But would they meet up with you out of the blue?

ER also does amazing work, but would they open on a random weekend, or meet up with you?

I did several different mods on my 335i that required the help of various shops, vendors, and techs.
My Z4 I did some subtle mods.
M3 is just beginning
I am grateful to every one of them for their help and look forward to the future for my M3

But I do not know any other vendor or shop that would go out of his way to meet up with you to help you out, fix a problem, or anything of the sorts.

I personally never had any of the issues described on here.

But to my understanding, a home made kid, a similar kit, and even a custom Alpine kit have seen a similar issue... thus, it's not that Alpine's kit is bad... it's pretty universal

The closest thing you can get to the brightness of the Alpine kit is the new LUX.. which costs double

and then OSS... which costs more than triple and has a huge headache

M3s are great cars and we have all worked hard for our own..... but don't expect the world to bend over backwards for you.
If the damn dealership doesn't do it....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #44
G-SPQT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

+1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
you guys need to calm down...

You do realize that it was the holiday's right?

People have friends and family too

Plus, with all the rain and weather changes in SoCal, it's easy to catch a cold.

So what, someone gets sick and can't get your problem fixed in a week so hell has frozen over now?

When my Z4 HID kit wasn't working properly, Alex made a custom kit, spent a good 3 hours on my Z4.
He didn't need to, but he he choose to.

And when I needed my kit removed from my 335i prior to lemoning it, he met up with me late at night in a parking lot to take it out for me.
Hmm... name any vendor that would do that on here.

Long is a great guy and does great work, but would he meet up with you out of the blue?
How about EAS?
They're a well-known shop that does phenomenal work and will do everything in their power to fix your problem.
But would they meet up with you out of the blue?

ER also does amazing work, but would they open on a random weekend, or meet up with you?

I did several different mods on my 335i that required the help of various shops, vendors, and techs.
My Z4 I did some subtle mods.
M3 is just beginning
I am grateful to every one of them for their help and look forward to the future for my M3

But I do not know any other vendor or shop that would go out of his way to meet up with you to help you out, fix a problem, or anything of the sorts.

I personally never had any of the issues described on here.

But to my understanding, a home made kid, a similar kit, and even a custom Alpine kit have seen a similar issue... thus, it's not that Alpine's kit is bad... it's pretty universal

The closest thing you can get to the brightness of the Alpine kit is the new LUX.. which costs double

and then OSS... which costs more than triple and has a huge headache

M3s are great cars and we have all worked hard for our own..... but don't expect the world to bend over backwards for you.
If the damn dealership doesn't do it....
Appreciate 0