BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-25-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
Matt Fojtik
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [9.00]
Snow/winter tires?

As I live in the northeast,I am looking into getting a winter pair of tires so I can take the car out on nicer days. Still no heavy slush, salt, or heavy snow.
I think a all season should work fine for me. Like the Pilot Sport All Season 4. Do you guys think this should be enough or should I get a full snow tire? I may encounter some light snow but very little if I did. And it wouldn't be often either.
I'm leaning towards all season since I can still keep some performance and get longer tire life. A full snow might be overkill I think.
If any of you guys have tested it out or have recommendations please let me know.
Thanks
Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
m3mirth
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Fojtik View Post
As I live in the northeast,I am looking into getting a winter pair of tires so I can take the car out on nicer days. Still no heavy slush, salt, or heavy snow.
I think a all season should work fine for me. Like the Pilot Sport All Season 4. Do you guys think this should be enough or should I get a full snow tire? I may encounter some light snow but very little if I did. And it wouldn't be often either.
I'm leaning towards all season since I can still keep some performance and get longer tire life. A full snow might be overkill I think.
If any of you guys have tested it out or have recommendations please let me know.
Thanks
Matt
You should be fine. In general good all season tires will be fine in light snow.
Appreciate 2
br2wdc269.50
      12-13-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
visor325i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

If you get stuck in some freezing rain or light snow or whatever you are better off with dedicated winter tires. You say you will only take it out on nice days so you won't drive it much so longer thread life isn't that much of an issue. The difference is huge between all season tires and real winter tires!
M_Torx326.50
      12-14-2022, 07:45 AM   #4
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
I'm not the authority here and I live in a tropical climate most of the year where the lowest low temp is 70F but I have a house in California and have all seasons on the X5's and we drive it to Mammoth to go skiiing in the dead of winter and have got caught in blizzards, black ice conditions, etc no issues. I just drive carefully and slow way in advance of braking or turning and become one with the car when on a curvy road and expect the unexpected. First time I ever drove in snow was about 5 years ago. Surprised at just how good these A/S tires are at handling these extreme conditions. If I can do it, you can do it.

So if you are just driving on nice days you should be fine with A/S. Of course dynamics of an M3 are different and it's not AWD but the issues occur when you are already at speed and need to brake and/or turn and AWD doesnt help then.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2022, 10:04 AM   #5
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

For the use case you described, I think you’ll be fine with a good all season tire. I urge you to take a look at your local FB marketplace and search for bmw snow tires. You’d be surprised how cheap you can find a complete wheel and tire setup with dedicated snows that have plenty of life left.

I would wager that with the right deal, it would be cheaper for you to pick up a set and run them for a couple years, sell and do it all over again.
Appreciate 2
br2wdc269.50
      12-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

About a year ago, I needed to replace my main tires and went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Max Performance summer tire which transformed the car and I absolutely love them.

Fortunately for me, the previous owner had a separate set of wheels/tires for winter, and he went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06.

They have worn down the last two winters, so when I looked to replace them, I saw this review on Tire Rack for Ultra High Performance All-Season tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=280

Essentially in the DC area, I had the same requirements as you with more of a need for cold weather/wet weather traction, with a minor need for snow traction, and both Michelin and Continental fit the bill.

I went with the new version of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus because the previous set were great in all conditions, and they were slightly cheaper then the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Fojtik View Post
Thanks
Matt

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2022, 05:25 PM   #7
Ultimatemj
Private
United_States
Rep

I drive year round in Chicago, and use 2 sets of wheels.

E88 w/P4S4 from Easter to Thanksgiving
ZCP w Michelin Alpin4 from Thanksgiving to Easter.

The Michelin Alpins exceed expectations UNTIL things get deep…if the front lip is plowing don’t bother 😜

'12 E92 M3 ZCP Ruby Black Metallic, BBS E88, Ohlins R/T, Eventuri, Dinan exhaust, Tune +36whp, S752 + JL Audio XD1000/5 & 12w6v3, Dinmann
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6722.50
      01-01-2023, 08:45 AM   #8
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

My use case is same as yours. Snow maybe 2x per winter, but colder temps from time to time. So the PSS would not be safe. I went with the Pilot Sport All Season 4's so I can still enjoy the handing of the M3 as the dedicated snows are like condoms, and ruin the car (to me). If the weather is terrible, I have another car to drive so I don't take the M out anyways.

I had them installed during a snow day, and they performed great! Much better than the PSS. I went on a few side roads to test them safely (slamming on the brakes, etc) and they wouldn't budge, I was pleasantly surprised. And that was without being broken in yet.

I'll post a review of the PSA4's after I've had a few days on them. My focus is on steering feel as my main concern, not so much handling a corner.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2023, 05:28 PM   #9
Matt Fojtik
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
My use case is same as yours. Snow maybe 2x per winter, but colder temps from time to time. So the PSS would not be safe. I went with the Pilot Sport All Season 4's so I can still enjoy the handing of the M3 as the dedicated snows are like condoms, and ruin the car (to me). If the weather is terrible, I have another car to drive so I don't take the M out anyways.

I had them installed during a snow day, and they performed great! Much better than the PSS. I went on a few side roads to test them safely (slamming on the brakes, etc) and they wouldn't budge, I was pleasantly surprised. And that was without being broken in yet.

I'll post a review of the PSA4's after I've had a few days on them. My focus is on steering feel as my main concern, not so much handling a corner.
I went with the psa4’s too, and they are phenomenal! I can push the car 80% of what I could before. The performance drop was there but not a huge difference with aggressive street driving. They did quite well in the snow too, but it was only 2-3”. The main difference is the grip in the cold. It’s such a difference! I can launch it from a dig with minimal wheel spin. Braking is much better than before too. I’m super happy I went with them
Appreciate 0