BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #45
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Vote for the Gintani race hybrid, here.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #46
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
A 4 resonator x pipe such as the Dinan (I have this) or the Borla might work with the MPE.
How's the rasp with Dinan's Xpipe ?

I originally thought of pairing with challenge sport hoping that the 2 resonators and 2 HFCs should keep rasp at bay. It seems like the more flow there is, the higher the rasp.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #47
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

OP....I am not sure you will find what you are looking for. From what you are describing, you want the sound of a larger displacement motor, and there is no way to get that from an M3.

Anything deeper pitched and more bassy at idle is going to drone big time under load. Still your best bet is to go with some sort of valved system where you can somewhat adjust the sound.

Personally, I am extremely happy with the sound of the MPE. A small displacement V8 should have that high-revving exotic sound. It is loud when you get on it, quiet at cruise, and will allow you to go unnoticed when necessary...i.e. it won't attract attention from law enforcement from like half a mile away. The goal should be to optimize the sonic properties of a small displacement motor, not make it sound like a big displacement motor, which will inevitably lead to a less than ideal result.

Last edited by LarThaL; 09-14-2013 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #48
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edu09 View Post
I personally sold mine because I wanted to gain some HP and wanted a more agressive sound, tried to pair it with a couple of x-pipes and its sound was extremely raspy, got the akra evo and dont regret it!
Comments that I've read left me with the impression that the Akra was not very aggressive. Now that you've had it do you still think it is more aggressive or just louder?

Anything come to mind that you miss from the MPE?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #49
edu09
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2022 GT3, 2022 SF90

Garage List
2022 FERRARI SF90  [10.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
2022 PORSCHE 992 GT3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Comments that I've read left me with the impression that the Akra was not very aggressive. Now that you've had it do you still think it is more aggressive or just louder?

Anything come to mind that you miss from the MPE?
IMO the akra evo is definetely more agressive than the MPE, I dont really miss anything from my MPE, now I went for an even more agressive setup and bought the akra GT4 x-pipe
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #50
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pilot View Post
How's the rasp with Dinan's Xpipe ?

I originally thought of pairing with challenge sport hoping that the 2 resonators and 2 HFCs should keep rasp at bay. It seems like the more flow there is, the higher the rasp.
There is NO rasp at all. Ive had so many systems for this car, and this is by far my favorite. Clean sounding, no rasp, loud when youre on it, the mid range from the Dinan x pipe is fanastic and the sound is exotic and crusing is no different that stock. I dont like the overly raspy sounds that many of these exhausty produce...I can deal with some but the overly raspy sound to me seems cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu09 View Post
IMO the akra evo is definetely more agressive than the MPE, I dont really miss anything from my MPE, now I went for an even more agressive setup and bought the akra GT4 x-pipe
I used to have the Akra evo and hated it. Lacked character and depth in the tone. With the dinan x pipe the akra sounds about as perfect as I could imagine. I am very happy with it and it certainly still turns heads every day.

End of the day, theres a reason why race teams and why BMW themselves use Akrapovic on their cars and not the MPE. The MPE to me is a good option for axel back only but if you want to run an x pipe its probably the single worst option out there. The Akra really works well no matter what x pipe you want to run and gives you everything you want and nothing you dont.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #51
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

I'm not really sure if the sound you are looking for is a type of sound the s65 engine can make.. However, have you checked out the Eisenmann Race + Challenge sport x pipe?
      09-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #52
Repoman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash32 View Post
During my recent beach trip I had the opportunity to hear a M3 with M Performance exhaust and it sounded very good. It had a very nice rumble to it with a sweet nite to it while not being too obnoxious.
While I loved it, I am looking for something a bit more aggressive. For those of you that have heard various exhausts including the M Performance... What systems are quieter than the M Performance so I can go ahead and eliminate those from my long list of choices.
Honestly I like the Gitani the best because sounds absolutely raw and mean, but I am afraid that it might just be a bit too much. What would be in between the M Performance and Gitani that would be awesome sounding with a deep rumble with zero rasp. I can live with a little but drone and I will be getting a full system and not just the cat/axel back.
Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Hey Crash

I got the M-Performance exhaust and left everything stock because my car is a daily driver. If it was a weekend/track only car, I woud've gone with the Akra Evo. I haven't heard every exhaust in person, but I'd stick with those two as I've personally heard both and I must say, both exhausts are amazing. Both systems are very high quality and have had positive reviews. Also, I am coming from an E46 which had a SS V1 Header and Cat Setup combined with an Eisenmann exhaust. The thing sounded super mean but the livability factor wasn't really the greatest.

If your M is a daily driver, I'd go with just the M-Peroformance exhaust. If it's weekend only, go for the Akra Evo or GT4.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #53
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
I used to have the Akra evo and hated it. Lacked character and depth in the tone. With the dinan x pipe the akra sounds about as perfect as I could imagine. I am very happy with it and it certainly still turns heads every day.

End of the day, theres a reason why race teams and why BMW themselves use Akrapovic on their cars and not the MPE. The MPE to me is a good option for axel back only but if you want to run an x pipe its probably the single worst option out there. The Akra really works well no matter what x pipe you want to run and gives you everything you want and nothing you dont.
What do you think of the akra with a stock xpipe? How loud/drone is the akra/dinan x-pipe config?

Which race teams use the akra and why is the MPE so bad with an x-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #54
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
What do you think of the akra with a stock xpipe? How loud/drone is the akra/dinan x-pipe config?

Which race teams use the akra and why is the MPE so bad with an x-pipe?
Akra with a stock x pipe...I would never do it. Akra is quiet and not enough of a difference over stock to me.

There is no drone with the akra/dinan. Its loud when youre really on it, but it isnt loud like my previous eisenmann race and catless resonated x pipe. Its a good in between. Noticably louder than stock but not so loud to ever annoy you.

The MPE seems like it was designed with the stock x pipe to be a system only used in conjuction with the stock x pipe.

As far as akra and race teams, akra has made their name on racing, whether car or motorcycle they have always been rooted in racing excellence. Plus they are the premier maker of titanium exhausts in the world.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #55
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

how much louder than akra evo is the dinan test pipe/exhaust?
      09-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #56
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
how much louder than akra evo is the dinan test pipe/exhaust?
The akra evo is actually quieter than the dinan/akra combo. And the Evo doesnt sound nearly as good as the dinan/akra. And yes, I did have the Evo system.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #57
jrxe92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

MPE + turner test pipes OR MPE + X-Pipe?
Appreciate 0