BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

SSP's Tour Inside BMW's DCT GS7D36SG

SSP's Tour Inside BMW's DCT GS7D36SG

BMW DCT TRANSMISSION

OUTER CLUTCH ASSEMBLY COVER

OUTER CLUTCH ASSEMBLY REMOVED WITH 3- 5mm bolts

Input Basket Cover Removed

Input Basket Cover

Output basket removed 1-3-5-7

DCT CLUTCH ASSEMBLY PICTURE

REMOVING EVEN CLUTCH END PLATE AND SNAP RING (2-4-6)

Last edited by SSPKris; 12-17-2014 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3 ZCP

Thanks for posting but I wouldn't call it a tour as much as a glimpse at the clutch pak.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_science View Post
Thanks for posting but I wouldn't call it a tour as much as a glimpse at the clutch pak.
Agreed. Tear that thing apart
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
wrecklessfool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_science View Post
Agreed. Tear that thing apart
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

So what makes the SSP stuff better than the Dodson or PPG components?

Results >
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Maybe its a teaser for the tour? I was looking forward to a full tear down thread!

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost View Post
So what makes the SSP stuff better than the Dodson or PPG components?
I cannot comment on other vendors products on how they perform for this platform. I know that PPG does not make any products for the BMW DCT transmission currently.

SSP is based on principal's. We don't bash other vendors or comment on their products. We believe that we are the best in the industry for this platform. We have over 50 cars running with our products in them. We have been doing R&D on this transmission for over 3 years now.

It has taken sometime to perfect this platform. In the beginning we had some minor issues, but have moved thru them now. You will see the DCT platform moving forward quickly in the near future.

SSP
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Maybe its a teaser for the tour? I was looking forward to a full tear down thread!
This is a complete tear down thread. We are posting things up slowly so that everyone can get familiar with how it works.

SSP
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

REMOVING END PLATE AND SNAP RING OF ODD CLUTCH (1-3-5-7)

Last edited by SSPKris; 12-15-2014 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
which part of the DCT makes the clunking noise when lift off or getting on the throttle?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
This is a complete tear down thread. We are posting things up slowly so that everyone can get familiar with how it works.

SSP
Looks like the same pics reposted from this thread made back in 2012: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642968

Looking forward to a complete teardown. Should be cool to follow
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
I cannot comment on other vendors products on how they perform for this platform. I know that PPG does not make any products for the BMW DCT transmission currently.

SSP is based on principal's. We don't bash other vendors or comment on their products. We believe that we are the best in the industry for this platform. We have over 50 cars running with our products in them. We have been doing R&D on this transmission for over 3 years now.

It has taken sometime to perfect this platform. In the beginning we had some minor issues, but have moved thru them now. You will see the DCT platform moving forward quickly in the near future.

SSP
What was the issues with Drew's car? IIRC it ended up needing a new transmission after installation of the clutches?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

It'd be nice to have captions with pictures listing what's going on and what part is being pulled off
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I don't know...looks really scary to me! Sub'd!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Wow--already this unit looks a bit scary! Thanks for sharing, my interest is piqued!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
What was the issues with Drew's car? IIRC it ended up needing a new transmission after installation of the clutches?
The clutches that were installed in Drew's car were a first generation full Kevlar set. After testing Kevlar for over a year, we found out that the clutch would not allow for enough slip rate to keep the DCT trannies happy. Kevlar is a very different material that likes to be "hot" all the time for best performance.

I believe that Drew's car suffered from a solenoid failure not due to clutch install.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #17
FFM
PLEB R8
Rep
Drives: B9 SQ5 | R8 V8 6MT

DCT being such an unknown is the only thing that makes these cars a little scary to own long term. People should be praising companies like this for investing the time and money to see these out, there will come a time when every DCT will require some work I am sure. Anything other than an expensive replacement from the dealer is a win.

Good job guys, sub'd for the tear down.
      12-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #18
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

What about the issues y'all had with the Frozen Red car?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #19
SJL Custom
Private
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
That car was a last resort used for testing a SSP trans cooler and clutch kit. The original car that was supposed to be used for testing became unavailable just before installation. The car was test driven with excellent results during its initial start of break in procedure and was given to the owner early in the break in cycle. The owner then did not follow the proper break in settings recommended and therefor burned up the secondary clutch controlling 2/4/6. That same car till this day is still running the SSP clutches on the other half for the last 9 months with trans cooler and billet pan.

Last edited by SJL Custom; 12-13-2014 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #20
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJL Custom
Quote:
That car was a last resort used for testing a SSP trans cooler and clutch kit. The original car that was supposed to be used for testing became unavailable just before installation. The car was test driven with excellent results during its initial start of break in procedure and was given to the owner early in the break in cycle. The owner then did not follow the proper break in settings recommended and therefor burned up the secondary clutch controlling 2/4/6. That same car till this day is still running the SSP clutches on the other half for the last 9 months with trans cooler and billet pan.
This actually isn't true, I know because my car was the original car and the clutch pack failed the same day it was installed in the red car.

Post about it going in my car: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...amp;amp;page=2

The car had to be towed back to the shop while it was being tested.

Please, humor me with more lies.

There are also updates coming very soon about how well those SSP clutches didn't work, but it isn't my place to speak on it until that issue is satisfactorily resolved for the owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #21
SJL Custom
Private
Rep

Quote:
This actually isn't true, I know because my car was the original car and the clutch pack failed the same day it was installed in the red car.

There are also updates coming very soon about how well those SSP clutches didn't work, but it isn't my place to speak on it until that issue is satisfactorily resolved for the owner.
Whats not true about anything I just said? Im the one who put them in the car and was there for the testing. We tested the car the same night that they were installed. No issues. We even retested and datalogged for a couple hours before the car was given to the owner the next morning. No issues.

The car started to have issues after the owner repeatedly accelerated the car in second gear at WOT in traffic. He was under the impression that the clutch clamping control in the centre console was for accelerator sensitivity, and decided to knock it down to minimum. This during the break in time, is killing to any clutch, especially a performance one. I told the owner before he drove the car to turn the traction off and make sure the clamping pressure remain at max. He was also told by me to not surpass 75% throttle during the break in. That was also not followed. Driver error is to blame for malfunction, not hardware. I saw everything firsthand for myself.

Second off, the car didn't need to be towed. We chose to tow it. I removed the clutch that same day. The clutch was severely burned up. At this point the car had less than 100 miles put on it since the clutch was installed. We recommend a minimum of 1000 mile break in. I also inspected the other half of the SSP clutch (1/3/5) and it was in perfect condition. I left that half of the SSP clutch in the car. That clutch remains in that car too this day, nine months later.

I didn't blame the owner or the product for the error, I blamed myself. I understood the owners confusion with the settings and his wanting to feel the additional power. There was also a VF supercharger package installed at the same time, and that is part of the reason that he was so excited to accelerate the car hard at WOT. This ultimately led to the failure of the 2/4/6 stack, especially at minimum clamping pressure. Repeated WOT pulls in second gear are not part of the break in procedure.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #22
SJL Custom
Private
Rep

Quote:

Post about it going in my car: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...amp;amp;page=2

Also read your post about them going in your car. Wasn't aware that you actually paid for them? Sold them and passed on them? As far as I knew you had to pass because you lost your car the night before I got there. That's the reason they didn't go into your car. They were going to be installed with the trans cooler and billet pan for free for cooling testing and datalogging.

I have installed over twenty sets of SSP clutches myself. Break in procedure is critical. Even after the learn procedure is completed, it still isn't completely done. The trans will do a series of self adaptations as the car drives. I can see all this info on my computer while datalogging. That's why we recommend a 1000 mile break in period.
Appreciate 0