BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

Anyone understands German?

Who can translate the part about the transmission? Many thanx!

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...2418_14204.hbs
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
verman
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

Using an on line translator ((http://www.online-translator.com/text.asp?lang=en) not great, but it looks like it says no SMG and DSG will come after the six speed manual).

"There has said goodbye BMW with the M3, however, to the SMG. The driving steps choice occurs at first by hand by six-ways-switch box. Later should be to be had of the M3 also with a double coupling gear. Different electronic driving programs give space for the individual adaptation to the pilot. "
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
'Verabschiedet hat sich BMW beim M3 allerdings vom SMG. Die Fahrstufenwahl erfolgt zunächst manuell per Sechs-Gang-Schaltbox. Später soll der M3 auch mit einem Doppelkupplungsgetriebe zu haben sein. Verschiedene elektronische Fahrprogramme geben dem Piloten Raum zur individuellen Anpassung.'

Here's my quick translation:

BMW has retired the SMG with the new M3 though. At first, selecting the gears will be done via a 6speed manual transmission. The M3 should be available with a DSG transmission (double clutch) later. Various driving-modes will allow the pilot to adapt the car to individual taste.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Trpltrbl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by verman View Post
Using an on line translator ((http://www.online-translator.com/text.asp?lang=en) not great, but it looks like it says no SMG and DSG will come after the six speed manual).

"There has said goodbye BMW with the M3, however, to the SMG. The driving steps choice occurs at first by hand by six-ways-switch box. Later should be to be had of the M3 also with a double coupling gear. Different electronic driving programs give space for the individual adaptation to the pilot. "
Anybody can use a translator to translate, but this doesn't make any sense, whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
verman
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trpltrbl View Post
Anybody can use a translator to translate, but this doesn't make any sense, whatsoever.
I'd say that my summary based on the garbage from the on-line translator (that "it looks like it says no SMG and DSG will come after the six speed manual") was pretty friggin close to Dante's personal translation.

Just saying I don't think it didn't make "any sense"....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Gossip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
BMW has retired the SMG with the new M3 though. At first, selecting the gears will be done via a 6speed manual transmission. The M3 should be available with a DSG transmission (double clutch) later. Various driving-modes will allow the pilot to adapt the car to individual taste.
Only magazine gossip/speculation but seems consistent with the concept car being shown in 6MT. The M5 was of course unveiled with SMG III. This is a big mistake IMO. VW and Audi already have working dual clutch systems, BMW knows they need this on their uber sports coupe but I suspect they just don't have the R&D, adaptation, integration, testing etc. complete. They still want to release the car (and need to as well given the push in this segment by other manufacturers) so we get stuck with a 1950's transmission ONLY for some time. I will pass on my allocation spot until I can get SMG or ZSG. Seems like it would have been much smarter to offer 6MT and SMG III right off the bat then add DSG when it is available and discontinue SMG. Sure ZSG > SMG but the difference is minor comparing either with an old school MT. What a bummer.
Appreciate 0