BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

03-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Legen_wait for it_dary
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe

I have a situation...

I preordered an M3 coupe with a $2k deposit at Savage BMW in Ontario, California. They never charged my card, but have the information for it on file. I finally spoke with the sales manager because the 1st salesman I worked withno longer works at the dealership, he is saying that the minimum markup on my car is $10k. The sales manager said he could get me a sedan at msrp, but because their coupe allocation is only 50% to that of the sedan, they are marking them up. I never got an official letter from the dealership saying I was guaranteed msrp (I know, I am stupid...it'll be the first and last time I make that mistake). All I have is an email from my original salesman saying "yes, we can do that". I will be calling tomorrow morning to speak with this sales managers boss if he is there. Is there anything I can do? or do I have to search for another dealership?

with a bruised forehead...

Jason
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I would threaten to forward his email stating he can do it at MSRP to BMWNA if he doesn't honor it.
      03-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Legen_wait for it_dary
Private
United_States
Rep

is an email binding enough? even with that salesman no longer working for the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

A few things.

First off, if they have your card number and haven't actually hit it up for the $2k you put down yet then you can stop that payment from ever going out through the card company as a last resort. Just incase your dealings with the dealership end up sour.

Secondly, the dealership can either get your business here or they can not get it. While this sounds pretty obvious remember that you are probably more informed than they are. There are multiple threads on this forum that state how easy it is to walk in and buy a M3 from many dealerships all over the country. I'm sure our buddy Timsev would love your business and would sell you the car at MSRP. With 200+ open allocations around the US the pressure shouldn't be on you, but on them. You should be able to get around that 10k markup when you talk to their manager. Also, if he doesn't honor your previous agreement made with the former sales associate then there is no reason that you should honor it either. Especially after they seem to have changed the rules on you.

So, I would talk to the sales manager and explain your situation. He may side with you since you've been on the list for so long. If he doesn't, then I would start pulling out the facts and the knowledge that this forum has to offer you. See if they don't change their tune. It would be a shame if they lost your business simply over a completely arbitrary and very greedy markup. I'm certain there is no shortage of BMW dealerships in socal.
      03-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legen_wait for it_dary View Post
is an email binding enough? even with that salesman no longer working for the dealership?
I don't know, and it doesn't matter. You should not be looking for a legal resolution; you need someone to approach the issue from a customer satisfaction perspective. You've been told by a BMW dealer X, but then they did Y, and you have some informal record of it. I think BMWNA would listen.

I wouldn't worry about them charging your card since they have not delivered the product. If they are charging above MSRP, I don't think how they can justify holding onto your deposit if you decide not to go through with it unless you have signed something saying you will pay above MSRP, which you haven't.
      03-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Legen_wait for it_dary
Private
United_States
Rep

sounds good...I definitely agree with the 'rule changing' that has been going on. Since I was set to buy the car at whatever BMWNA set msrp at, I'll make sure to let my credit card company know about a potential $2k charge. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you guys updated
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Deathboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
A few things.

First off, if they have your card number and haven't actually hit it up for the $2k you put down yet then you can stop that payment from ever going out through the card company as a last resort. Just incase your dealings with the dealership end up sour.

Secondly, the dealership can either get your business here or they can not get it. While this sounds pretty obvious remember that you are probably more informed than they are. There are multiple threads on this forum that state how easy it is to walk in and buy a M3 from many dealerships all over the country. I'm sure our buddy Timsev would love your business and would sell you the car at MSRP. With 200+ open allocations around the US the pressure shouldn't be on you, but on them. You should be able to get around that 10k markup when you talk to their manager. Also, if he doesn't honor your previous agreement made with the former sales associate then there is no reason that you should honor it either. Especially after they seem to have changed the rules on you.

So, I would talk to the sales manager and explain your situation. He may side with you since you've been on the list for so long. If he doesn't, then I would start pulling out the facts and the knowledge that this forum has to offer you. See if they don't change their tune. It would be a shame if they lost your business simply over a completely arbitrary and very greedy markup. I'm certain there is no shortage of BMW dealerships in socal.
^ Exactly don't lose your cool. There are other dealers willing to sell for msrp.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Good luck, in for seeing what happens.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
asaulo1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, alp white

Legen - I have deposits in 2 different "stealerships". Both for MSRP. I am almost ready to pull my deposit from the 1st one I went with since I fortunately got a hold of an early allocation with another one which I promptly put a deposit on. I am waiting for my car to get on a ship before I pull my deposit off the 1st "stealership". you would be more than welcome to take my spot on the orig. one since it's here in So. Cal as well.... by the way, the orig. order does not have a prod. no. issued for it yet. just can't stand these places that try to pull a fast one on you when they see how in demand the car is
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Legen_wait for it_dary
Private
United_States
Rep

awesome asaulo! sending you a PM
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Legen_wait for it_dary
Private
United_States
Rep

I canceled my order with Savage BMW because I don't want to deal with anymore BS or give them my business even if they did decide to sell for MSRP, which I highly doubt. Just finalized my order with Will Shaw over at Long Beach BMW. He is currently taking orders for coupes and has immediate openings for sedans, all at MSRP. Now I get to wait another few months for my car :P the suspense all over again! Thanks again for everyones help.

Jason
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
Legen_wait for it_dary
Private
United_States
Rep

this thread can be locked now as well if any admins want to
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
asaulo1