BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Pay my way as a finder's fee...

And yes, Kauai is STUNNING.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
GarySL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Carrera 4S

Taveuni in the Fiji complex is the least impacted by development & is stunning.

North or South Island in New Zealand are worthy of a visit, although rather overrun in places by agriculture & tourists.

Some of the best coral reefs to explore are off of Palau. Tahiti seems like a nice place although 'discovered'.

Enjoy where ever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
BTW, I'd love to know what connection you have that could afford this type of hookup. Seems strange as I can't think of any possible connection that would allow you carte blanche.

Forgot to mention Palau. If you like snorkeling and don't mind 2 flight connections, it's definitely an exotic locale.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I'll go with if need some extra people. lol
Yea, I'll be like "and this is kyle from cyber world, don't trip he's cool". lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Maldives are supposed to be incredible as well, much like Bora Bora, however you are very much isolated once you arrive at your hotel. In Bora Bora, most of the hotels are on their own tiny islands so it's not like you can walk from one to another or go exploring on your own without taking a water taxi. Those places seem like they designed for honeymooners who have never lived together and want to do nothing but cuddle and stare at each other. If you're young and active and want loads of activities, you may want to look elsewhere.

St.Barts is beautiful and very French. Arrival by plane will certainly make the hair on your arms stand up.

I've been to Turks and Caicos and while not being very magical, it is a 3hr direct flight from NYC and Grace Bay is the most beautiful strip of sand I've ever seen. They use the US Dollar and speak English which is also a nice perk. Friendliest people I've ever encountered outside of the US. The food was also spectacular. A myriad of restaurants within walking distance of most hotels (on Grace Bay at least).

I've also been to Saba, Dominica, Antigua twice, St.Thomas, St.John, Puerto Rico, Isla Mujeres, Maui, and Kauai. In all honesty, out of all of the islands I've been to, my favorite place is Kauai. I didn't like Maui at all (too commercial) although I thought the snorkeling was great. Hawaii, despite being a state, is exotic in a way that the Caribbean can not match and it has more activities at your disposal than you can possibly cram into a 1-2wk vacation.

Hope this helps.
Very informative. Something I thought would be simple, has become so difficult. (1st world problems)

Quote:
BTW, I'd love to know what connection you have that could afford this type of hookup. Seems strange as I can't think of any possible connection that would allow you carte blanche.

Forgot to mention Palau. If you like snorkeling and don't mind 2 flight connections, it's definitely an exotic locale.
Sure, my GF step dad is old money and said to his stepdaughter "dear, you and three of your friends can go anywhere you want for your grad school gift" so this is where I come into the picture

You've been very helpful, I'll be sure to update with pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I just hope he doesn't have Ft.Lauderdale in mind when you guys come back with a $25,000 trip to the Maldives. haha

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Maldives has always been nice. Resorts there are pretty exotic too, having glass floors to see the marine life underneath.

Here's a link: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...ropertyID=1585

How's this for exotic, OP?

Ithaa Undersea Restaurant in Maldives. First restaurant completely submerged glass-environment in the world.

02-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #29
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just hope he doesn't have Ft.Lauderdale in mind when you guys come back with a $25,000 trip to the Maldives. haha
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Maldives has always been nice. Resorts there are pretty exotic too, having glass floors to see the marine life underneath.

Here's a link: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...ropertyID=1585

How's this for exotic, OP?

Ithaa Undersea Restaurant in Maldives. First restaurant completely submerged glass-environment in the world.

holeeeee shyyyyyt. That would be a nice check-in on Facebook. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #30
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

What about Bali or Lombok in Indonesia? Mauritius or Seychelles in the Indian Ocean?

I've been to three of the four, and my favorite was Lombok. Relatively secluded, with some heavenly beaches, great people (Indonesians are incredibly friendly by-and-large), and amazing scenery.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #31
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Bali, Fiji, Tahiti, Micronesia
      02-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Mauritius and Seychelles are a complete PITA to get to from the US. You lose 4 days just traveling. Not saying to scratch them from the list but it's food for thought...

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #33
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
What about Bali or Lombok in Indonesia? Mauritius or Seychelles in the Indian Ocean?

I've been to three of the four, and my favorite was Lombok. Relatively secluded, with some heavenly beaches, great people (Indonesians are incredibly friendly by-and-large), and amazing scenery.
Don't know went you went to Bali, but I was there for a week last year, and hated it. Indonesians were annoying, always traying to sell me stuff, LOTS of tourists, and the beaches are getting dirty and crowded. Would NOT recommended Bali.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #34
!JGunz_325
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy
Ibiza
^ This
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #35
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
Don't know went you went to Bali, but I was there for a week last year, and hated it. Indonesians were annoying, always traying to sell me stuff, LOTS of tourists, and the beaches are getting dirty and crowded. Would NOT recommended Bali.
Where did you stay? I've been to Bali several times - the last trip was 3 or 4 years ago. The beaches were absolutely stunning, where I was staying. It's certainly getting more touristy, though.

Photos from my trip:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #36
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Where did you stay? I've been to Bali several times - the last trip was 3 or 4 years ago. The beaches were absolutely stunning, where I was staying. It's certainly getting more touristy, though.

Photos from my trip:
3-4 years for Southeast Asia is like 1000 years here. Yes, some beaches are still nice for sure, but the overall atmosphere is different. It is like Bangkok. Now that the world saw Hangover 2, Bangkok as turned into a shitty place where you get robbed and fucked even more than before. Same for Thailand and Indonesia. In SEA, I would say Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia are still good enough in terms of tourist ratio.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #37
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Not an experienced island traveler (only been to St. Lucia and Curacao). But I liked Curacao a lot, and so did my wife. Friendly people, great food (don't do an all you can eat plan, just walk around and eat dinner in the town).

And they had a great ATV tour as well. The plus for me was partly the fact that aside from the Dutch, it seems no one has heard of Curacao...so its great. Now there's always a cruise ship in port it seemed, but they are never overnight, so its very limited.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #38
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

I completely understand why everyone is so quick to recommend Bora Bora/Maldives etc., however, the Caribbean is just as beautiful and a lot closer than French Polynesia. I went to Turks last summer and Grace Bay Beach on Provo has the whitest sand and the clearest/deepest blue water I've ever seen. I highly recommend it...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #39
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I've been to Tahiti,moorea and bora bora.
For me, I personally enjoyed moorea the most even though bora bora has more of a wow factor. There just isn't enough land in bora bora to play and too many boating around which you wouldn't like too much.

Moorea has good amount of land (although it only takes 30 min to circle the island) and ATV there is pretty darn good. I did ATV, jet ski and 4x4 there and jet ski is just AWESOME and ATV was darn good as well, especially when you go up the magic mountain to look at the lagoons.
Also, depends on where you stay (sofitel), you can directly look at tahiti which is from overwater bungalow rooms. My wify loved every minute in Moorea but was soso in tahiti and bora bora.
But damn, lagoon in bora bora cannot be matched.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #40
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

st barts!
      02-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #41
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

Best ATV would be Aruba BY FAR of anyplace I've been. Bora Bora is pretty from what I've heard but boring as hell after a few days. Kaui is a great balance between activity (hiking, sight seeing, beach). Best beaches would be like Exuma.

My recent island travels... Kauai, Big Island, Oahu, Maui, Exuma, Aruba, Turks and Caicos (Provo, North, and Middle Caicos), Antigua, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, St John, Tortola, St Lucia, Peter Island.

So yeah, for ATV Aruba, for Beaches some of the out islands of Bahamas, for the best mix, Kauai. I'm going back to Kauai again this May cuz I like it so much. FWIW, that's the ONLY island I've been back to more than once and I'm going on #3 in a couple of months. I will eventually make it to Bora Bora, but from friends I've found it's expensive, jet laggy, boring (but beautiful), and expensive. Oh did I mention expensive? Like 20K for a week at a nice 5 star resort.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #42
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
I've been to Tahiti,moorea and bora bora.
For me, I personally enjoyed moorea the most even though bora bora has more of a wow factor. There just isn't enough land in bora bora to play and too many boating around which you wouldn't like too much.

Moorea has good amount of land (although it only takes 30 min to circle the island) and ATV there is pretty darn good. I did ATV, jet ski and 4x4 there and jet ski is just AWESOME and ATV was darn good as well, especially when you go up the magic mountain to look at the lagoons.
Also, depends on where you stay (sofitel), you can directly look at tahiti which is from overwater bungalow rooms. My wify loved every minute in Moorea but was soso in tahiti and bora bora.
But damn, lagoon in bora bora cannot be matched.
Yea, were all in or late 20's so not anything too honeymooner, but I'll look more into Moorea. I like the adventure aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc View Post
Best ATV would be Aruba BY FAR of anyplace I've been. Bora Bora is pretty from what I've heard but boring as hell after a few days. Kaui is a great balance between activity (hiking, sight seeing, beach). Best beaches would be like Exuma.

My recent island travels... Kauai, Big Island, Oahu, Maui, Exuma, Aruba, Turks and Caicos (Provo, North, and Middle Caicos), Antigua, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, St John, Tortola, St Lucia, Peter Island.

So yeah, for ATV Aruba, for Beaches some of the out islands of Bahamas, for the best mix, Kauai. I'm going back to Kauai again this May cuz I like it so much. FWIW, that's the ONLY island I've been back to more than once and I'm going on #3 in a couple of months. I will eventually make it to Bora Bora, but from friends I've found it's expensive, jet laggy, boring (but beautiful), and expensive. Oh did I mention expensive? Like 20K for a week at a nice 5 star resort.
Well traveled I see. My friend also speaks highly of Aruba, just seems to lack that exotic flare as compared to other islands. But damn, I should have been careful what I asked for, now I have way too many ideas!

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #43
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Bareboat chartered a 46' sailboat down in the British Virgin Islands, it was an awesome trip-Tortola, Peter Island, Norman Island, Cooper Island, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, sailed around Necker Island. Its close enough to fly in and not spend all day on a plane getting jet lagged.
I liked BVI better than Oahu, Big Island, Jamaica, Bermuda, PR, all depends on what you want out of the trip.
      02-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #44
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Seems like Grace Bay (Turks & Caicos) and Kauai getting quite a bit of positive feedback. Can't say I'm surprised. You can find some very "exotic" places but some of the most worthwhile locales are right under your nose.

OP, where are you located? I'm just thinking flight times...

Appreciate 0