BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #23
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

im seriously not getting it, but from reading the OP's concern its normal.... even the GTR i drove previously does the same thing.... its the DCT part its basically a manual with no clutch... unlike automatic cars, let go off the brake and it will just go forward...
      03-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #24
jtblcksprt
Private
Rep
Drives: often

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
okay seriously you guys are making it sound like i dont know how to drive a car.. this car acts differently than a regular car in certain situations.. whats wrong with asking if its okay to do a certain thing on a car? i mean really?.. where in my post did i say how do i make the car go and how do i make the car stop?.. if half of you guys knew how to read you guys would have gave me an answer similar to this: Dont do it anymore its not good.
now how simple was that?..
Ok I'm confused about something as well.. Is "infamxkris" pronounced "douchebag" - I only ask because that's what you are acting like.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #25
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
okay seriously you guys are making it sound like i dont know how to drive a car.. this car acts differently than a regular car in certain situations.. whats wrong with asking if its okay to do a certain thing on a car? i mean really?.. where in my post did i say how do i make the car go and how do i make the car stop?.. if half of you guys knew how to read you guys would have gave me an answer similar to this: Dont do it anymore its not good.
not as simple as a gas and brake pedal.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #26
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
The simple answer is no, don't do it... Keep your foot on the brake during red lights, and hit the gas with your foot off of the brake on green lights.

You have to understand why people might think you are trolling, because this is like common sense driving...
      03-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #27
H2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
... but when i am on a hill the car rolls back.. is this okay for the car?
It's fine, your car's rolling back because the transmission is not engaged. Just don't hit anything/anyone behind you as you're rolling back. Once you get back on the gas the clutch engages.

Quote:
any extra wear on the parts if i let go of the brakes and let the car roll back and hit the gas to get it back up and continuously do this until the light turns green?
This is just like continuously feathering the clutch on a MT. If you do this consistently, I'd bet the clutch wears out faster than normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #28
M3maniac20
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I think you’ve got it. You keep your foot on the brake when you want to remain stopped. You depress the pedal on the right when it’s time to move forward.
lol

OP, I understand. This car does drive very differently than other vehicles if you have never had this type of transmission before. I'm still figuring stuff out...mainly about how freaking touchy the gas pedal is. The sensitivity mixed with the how much the car slows down in first gear if you aren't stepping on the gas can make for a very jerky ride if you don't have your foot planted very well.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #29
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
My earlier post was sarcastic, and I apologize. If you remember that the DCT transmission is a manual transmission, nothing it does is surprising. Your practice of hill holding with the clutch, whether DCT or conventional manual, is a bad habit, and you should avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #30
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

guys, unless you're from NY, you wouldn't understand.

itsaNYthing..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #31
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
thanks.. i think i would know this.. given that i have a license.. [B]this car has different characteristics as other auto cars[\B].. and i was just wondering if it was bad or good for the car.. but thanks for your input, idk what i would have done without you.
Quote:
thank you.. ive always seen manual cars do this so i thought it was okay since essentially our cars are pretty much manual cars.. and no i just dont like holding down the brake on long red lights and sometimes i forget im on a slightly uneven road and the car will roll back.. usually i hold the brake after that has happened but it has happened quite a bit and was just wondering if i was wearing anything out.. so is it bad to have the brake depressed on level roads? the car doesnt roll back or move forward..
By now, it should be clear that DCT is not a manual nor a traditional auto.

Quote:
so basically i have to hold down the brake the whole time i am at a red light? because if i was to not have it held down i would start to roll back.. and if i dont want to hit the car behind me i would have to gas it a bit.. which would cause wear on the clutch?
So what if it causes extra wear on the clutch. It's normal usage. You don't drive 100% on inclines, do you? Anyhow, just apply the brake 'til you're ready to move forward. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
What????? why do you care? Just put your foot on the brake. Its not bad to hold the brake.....

are you f***ing with us?
lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluder View Post
These are the people that are driving on the roads today.
and vote, and reproduce, etc...

Quote:
Well, the question seems 'so' basic... Besides, this kind of flaming is normal from time to time on various forums. Objectively, though, can't blame ppl for flaming you for this one.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #32
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

thanks OC for wrapping this one up.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #33
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

MDCT isn't an auto tranny

it doesn't have a torque converter

Hold the brake.
Let go of brake then press gas.
Move forward.