BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

EXXEL Distributions

01-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #45
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
You sure are not correct on that. Lexus is only making 500 of these over the course of 2 years. Only 150 will be sold in US and only in 10 Canada. 200 are being reserved just for Japan. 60 for all of Europe and rest of the 80 will be sold in smaller markets of Asia, Middle East, Australia, Far east etc.

The only other cars that were carbon fiber supercars were the Porsche Carrera GT and Enzo Ferrari. Both of which were hundred thousands more expensive. Lexus sure believes their product is better than Enzo Ferrari and stand by their product. If you are not aware of it, Lexus weaves its own Carbon Fiber for LF-A, which is 70% of its construction. The chief engineer has claimed LF-A runs "under 7:20 on Nurburgring", but did not go crazy like Nissan did with the GT-R using it as a publicity stunt.

As far as sales are concerned, since all this a halo car meant only to shake things up in the supercar world and to build Lexus' brand image. The last thing Lexus cares about is sales since all the one's to be produced in the first year for US (90 in the first and 60 in the second) were already sold at the beginning of December so Lexus is not even taking anymore orders. Lexus only has 60 more to sell in the 2nd year, which will not begin until end of the year 2010.
OK good piece of information and smart move on Toyota´s behalf. I had no clue soooo few were to be made and sold. Still, I would say this is a relatively unsuccessful stint given that it took a decade (or whatever) and God only knows how much $$$$ to develop and sell only 500. Or do they plan to sell more after then next two years? I think yes, they must want to recover some of that "huge" investment. On the other hand, announcing the sale of only 500 also gives them the flexibility to discontinue the project without looking like idiots if it is too difficult to continue sales after two years.
      01-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #46
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Agreed. I still Lexus should only keep it for 2 years since the supercar world will have moved beyond what LF-A is capable of in a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonigsTiger View Post
OK good piece of information and smart move on Toyota´s behalf. I had no clue soooo few were to be made and sold. Still, I would say this is a relatively unsuccessful stint given that it took a decade (or whatever) and God only knows how much $$$$ to develop and sell only 500. Or do they plan to sell more after then next two years? I think yes, they must want to recover some of that "huge" investment. On the other hand, announcing the sale of only 500 also gives them the flexibility to discontinue the project without looking like idiots if it is too difficult to continue sales after two years.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #47
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Agreed. I still Lexus should only keep it for 2 years since the supercar world will have moved beyond what LF-A is capable of in a couple of years.
+ 1

i AGREE.. this is just a training and promotion exercise to get there foot in the door!

People need to understand that this form of construction of producing their own hand-weaved carbon fibre for the LFA is a very costly project!

However, given the enormous funds toyota has they can and will produce even better products in the future through there F-Line and perhaps something from the toyota side too
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 04:34 AM   #48
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

For almost half a million dollars their engine bay should look less like:

and more like

They should make it look like a work of art.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #49
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post
For almost half a million dollars their engine bay should look less like:

and more like

They should make it look like a work of art.
True