BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
anodyne88
Go White Sox!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Manual

iPhone 5 and proclip mount

I got the lightning to 30 pin adapter for my iphone 5. It works great when I connect it to my y cable then connect the phone directly to the adapter.

However, I just bought a proclip mount and need a longer cable. I bought a male to female 30 pin extender cable from cablejive. I connected the female part of the connector to the extender cable, then attached the lightning adapter to the male part of the cablejive extender cable. It all works great, except the phone seems to charge for a second but then I get the 'charging is not supported with this accessory' message.

Any ideas how I can get this setup to work?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodyne88
I got the lightning to 30 pin adapter for my iphone 5. It works great when I connect it to my y cable then connect the phone directly to the adapter.

However, I just bought a proclip mount and need a longer cable. I bought a male to female 30 pin extender cable from cablejive. I connected the female part of the connector to the extender cable, then attached the lightning adapter to the male part of the cablejive extender cable. It all works great, except the phone seems to charge for a second but then I get the 'charging is not supported with this accessory' message.

I've noticed that a lot of these extensions don't work very well. I would buy a 10ft 30pin cable.

eBay has them for a few bucks.
      10-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
brisance
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2011 AW FR E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
I've noticed that a lot of these extensions don't work very well. I would buy a 10ft 30pin cable.

eBay has them for a few bucks.
If the cable's long, charging time is going to take proportionately longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Probably best to get this cable:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-02-m?fnode=45
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodyne88 View Post

So reading this, you connected the female part of the "connector" (what connector?) to the -- presumably male -- part of the extender cable, but then you say you attached the lightning adapter ALSO to the male part of the extender, even though it's a male to female extender?

If you have to use a Y-cable, I don't think a really long 30-pin connector like others are suggesting would work. The cable-style adapter that THE TECH suggested might make for an easier fit depending on your mount, but it's $10 more and it's not functionally different from the block-type adapter you bought. You might just need to try another extender. But your setup should look like this:

iPhone 5 > Lightning adapter > 30-pin male to female extender > Y-cable > USB+AUX ports

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
anodyne88
Go White Sox!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by anodyne88 View Post

So reading this, you connected the female part of the "connector" (what connector?) to the -- presumably male -- part of the extender cable, but then you say you attached the lightning adapter ALSO to the male part of the extender, even though it's a male to female extender?

If you have to use a Y-cable, I don't think a really long 30-pin connector like others are suggesting would work. The cable-style adapter that THE TECH suggested might make for an easier fit depending on your mount, but it's $10 more and it's not functionally different from the block-type adapter you bought. You might just need to try another extender. But your setup should look like this:

iPhone 5 > Lightning adapter > 30-pin male to female extender > Y-cable > USB+AUX ports
Yes, that's the way I've got it setup. May have written it wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
anodyne88
Go White Sox!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
Problem with that is its only just under 8 inches long. I don't think that is quite long enough to get from the center console to the middle of the dash where the proclip mount is
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
anodyne88
Go White Sox!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodyne88

Bumping to see if anyone has figured this out yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Veegie
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisance View Post
If the cable's long, charging time is going to take proportionately longer.
Beyond the negligible speed of light limitations and factoring in electrical resistance and conductance... what?
      11-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
brisance
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2011 AW FR E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veegie View Post
Beyond the negligible speed of light limitations and factoring in electrical resistance and conductance... what?
Exactly. Longer cable with larger resistance = longer charging times.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Read the thread folks!

I have the same problem and I don't think its anything to do with cable length.

If I connect a lightning convertor to the ycable and connect it to the USB slot I still get the charging issue, if I add the longer 30pin extension I can't charge either.

let me ask this question another way:

is anyone using a cable with the 30pin to lightning connector and able to charge the phone?

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I wish they made a longer version of this cable.

I plan to buy an iPhone5 proclip that has the dock built in made to work with this cable.

However if I use this cable I will have a big block sitting 8 inches under the holder.

Any areas behind the HVAC that the cable can route through?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I simply looped the cable around the holder and user a Velcro stick on to stick it to the back of the holder.

however - I gave up on this solution:

1: it won't charge the phone
2: the sound quality is shocking with background hiss and crackles.

Instead I did the combox upgrade and use a regular lightning cable. cost about £400 but worth every penny IMO - great sound and charges the phone.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
I simply looped the cable around the holder and user a Velcro stick on to stick it to the back of the holder.

however - I gave up on this solution:

1: it won't charge the phone
2: the sound quality is shocking with background hiss and crackles.

Instead I did the combox upgrade and use a regular lightning cable. cost about £400 but worth every penny IMO - great sound and charges the phone.

Neil
That's a good idea just to clean up the wiring.

I have the older pre LCI version of iDrive and I think the previous owner might have had an aftermarket iPod adapter as the wire is in the glove box rather than armrest and the menu is through the CD interface menu rather than a seperate USB/ iPod interface.

Currently I have a a firewire iPod cable to usb ipod cable adapter (sold by Scosche) so that it charges and then I have the usb ipod cable to Lightning adapter... so you can imagine 2 adapter connected in series.

It does recognize and charge the iPhone, I can access the artist/ album/ etc via iDrive and on the phone itself. If I access Pandora on the phone, artist info will show up on the iDrive and I can just use the phone to scroll my music as well which is why I'd rather have it be in a more convenient position to access rather than glove box.

I get nice, clear, solid sound out of it as well.... hissing or crackles might be a bad connector or a bad wire... I was getting that in my VW's as soon as the VW interface cables go bad...

I would get the Combox... but that would mean retrofitting a newer iDrive unit as well... I'd rather put that money towards performance mods for the track

Anyhow here are pictures of my previous setup in my GTI, I just have to get the Proclip dash mount and transfer it all over to the M3 now.

In the GTI I have an iPod female to iPod male extension coming from the armrest, tucked under the panneling, and into a lightning cable adapter

Appreciate 0