BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #23
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

A stiff suspension does not necessarily make for a good handling car. A perfect example of this is earlier years of the 335i with sport suspension and RFTs. The suspension was not capable of keeping the tires in contact with the road surface and the tires bounced all over the place on rough surfaces. This IMO did not make for a good handling car and was certainly not confidence building.

There is a "sweet spot" or more accurately a "sweet range" for suspension stiffness and too stiff can be as detremental to handling as too soft.

The idea of a "race car for the street" does not really work as streets are very different (i.e. bumpier) than race tracks. Even on a race track you reach a point where as the suspension get stiffer performance begins to suffer. So although it may feel more like you are driving a race car when you have a very stiff suspension whether there is actually a performance advantage is another matter.

FWIW the driving coach at the Lime Rock Club, who drives an M3 around the track as part of his job and probably does a few thousand laps per year, told me that the M3s are fastest around the track with 18s and the suspension on the second hardest setting.

As for the argument that 19s look better, that is a matter of personal taste, but IMO you are either going for performance or style. If you are willing to give up performance in the name of style that is fine but don't confuse your priorities.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #24
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASENNA View Post
Just upgraded from a 320d to M3 with Zcp and am not enjoying the firmer ride. Silly me with more dollars than sense didn\'t test drive the car. I just assumed the \'comfort\' setting on the EDC would actually do what it infers.

Not being a genius around cars (or anything else for that matter), I need all the advice I can get on making the ride a bit softer. Do I lower the tyre pressures? Change the tyres (PS2\'s)? Change the wheels? Or go as far as altering the suspension? The 320d ride was as firm as I really want it to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i think my M3 rides softer than my past 335. the 335 sounded dreadful going over bumps. it almost hurt or sounded like the front end was damaged after a little bump here and there. M3 with 19s the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
A stiff suspension does not necessarily make for a good handling car. A perfect example of this is earlier years of the 335i with sport suspension and RFTs. The suspension was not capable of keeping the tires in contact with the road surface and the tires bounced all over the place on rough surfaces. This IMO did not make for a good handling car and was certainly not confidence building.

There is a "sweet spot" or more accurately a "sweet range" for suspension stiffness and too stiff can be as detremental to handling as too soft.

The idea of a "race car for the street" does not really work as streets are very different (i.e. bumpier) than race tracks. Even on a race track you reach a point where as the suspension get stiffer performance begins to suffer. So although it may feel more like you are driving a race car when you have a very stiff suspension whether there is actually a performance advantage is another matter.

FWIW the driving coach at the Lime Rock Club, who drives an M3 around the track as part of his job and probably does a few thousand laps per year, told me that the M3s are fastest around the track with 18s and the suspension on the second hardest setting.

As for the argument that 19s look better, that is a matter of personal taste, but IMO you are either going for performance or style. If you are willing to give up performance in the name of style that is fine but don't confuse your priorities.

CA
/thread
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

you must have terrible roads where you live. The M3 suspension is firm but comfy, it's an M. 18" wheels with a soft sidewall tire will squish up the ride for ya.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #27
airwave808
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Frankly, I don't think the OP was looking for an M3. Going from 320d to an M3 even without ZCP would give a stiff feeling. I have ZCP and I do feel that comfort setting is actually what it states even with 19" wheels. Why would you go with 18" so the car is less stiff? You should have bought a 335i or something and that would have done the job.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #28
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave808 View Post
Frankly, I don't think the OP was looking for an M3. Going from 320d to an M3 even without ZCP would give a stiff feeling. I have ZCP and I do feel that comfort setting is actually what it states even with 19" wheels. Why would you go with 18" so the car is less stiff? You should have bought a 335i or something and that would have done the job.
The 335i sport suspension is actually stiffer (and far less forgiving over potholes and road imperfections) than the M3.

As I stated a few posts back there is very good evidence that the 18s outperform the 19s.

If "Stiffer is Better" was the case race cars would have solid rubber tires and no suspension at all and have the wheels bolted directly to the chassis.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-01-2011 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #29
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I came from a 328i and this cars ride is by no stretch of the imagination objectionable. In any setting/mode.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #30
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

I came from an '06 330i and the M3 is heads down a better ride (comfort) to me. Granted it is firm but my other car had run flats which were horrible.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #31
ASENNA
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Alpine White 2011

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

It is a new car, and I will check for the shipping blocks, although I wouldn't say my ride was brutal. It felt fine the other day when I overtook 2 cars and a truck at 150kmh, but I don't think there's much future in going 50% over the speed limit. It was the first time I put the foot down and was shocked when I saw the clock.

Not test driving it wasn't the best move. I'd been fascinated with BMW's since I was young and just assumed I would love what many think is the ultimate bimmer. I don't think I bought the wrong car, I just need to win the lottery and build some decent roads around here. You can't go 50 metres without dodging potholes and patchwork.

I will probably go for the 18" wheels, which brands are the best? I think I will keep the 19's and track this car someday, hopefully I don't wet my panties
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #32
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:

It is a new car, and I will check for the shipping blocks, although I wouldn't say my ride was brutal. It felt fine the other day when I overtook 2 cars and a truck at 150kmh, but I don't think there's much future in going 50% over the speed limit. It was the first time I put the foot down and was shocked when I saw the clock.

Not test driving it wasn't the best move. I'd been fascinated with BMW's since I was young and just assumed I would love what many think is the ultimate bimmer. I don't think I bought the wrong car, I just need to win the lottery and build some decent roads around here. You can't go 50 metres without dodging potholes and patchwork.

I will probably go for the 18" wheels, which brands are the best? I think I will keep the 19's and track this car someday, hopefully I don't wet my panties
Two things with the shipping blocks....they make the front end sit a little high (this should be a clue) and they are INSIDE the rubber shroud of the front shocks, so they are NOT VISIBLE when you just jack up the car and look under there.

Good luck.
      10-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #33
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:

If I were in your shoes
I'd get Apex Arc 8 wheels
With 255/40 18" fronts, and 275/40 18" in the back
That's the biggest sidewall you can fit to this car
Bug sidewall= comfortable ride
And nice they are wider than the stock 245/40 and 265/40
You get more grip
      10-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #34
airwave808
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
The 335i sport suspension is actually stiffer (and far less forgiving over potholes and road imperfections) than the M3.

As I stated a few posts back there is very good evidence that the 18s outperform the 19s.

If "Stiffer is Better" was the case race cars would have solid rubber tires and no suspension at all and have the wheels bolted directly to the chassis.

CA
Interesting fact about 335i. I was not aware that the standard ride is more stiff. Just thought may be it is more comfortable.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #35
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

+1 on 18's - they make a huge difference
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #36
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

18's? NOO go with some 17's man, they'll do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #37
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i wish i had that issue. stiff is good usually.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #38
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I cannot believe nobody is pointing out the obvious fix for this. Adjusting your tire pressure down. You can try setting all 4 tires to 28-30. If still too firm than 25-27. As long as you are not doing extended freeway/high speed runs, for around town this will make worlds of difference on rough roads.

I stll think something sounds wrong though as comfort setting is really really soft. So unless you have a back injury or are 80 years old, you just should not feel that comfort is "too stiff"
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #39
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Thats cause nobody wants bent ZCP wheels.^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #40
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
A blanket statement like that is simply not true. Furthermore, performance has MANY aspects, so depends what you're talking about. And finally, a HUGE factor is surface, where some might benefit 18s and others 19s. Too many factors to throw a blanket statement like that .

For starters, the stock 18" setup is HEAVIER than the 220 setup, but lighter than ZCP. However, ZCP wheels are wider, with suspension slightly stiffer, BUT same tire sizes; which setup is better? Forged 18s lighter than 220s would be a better argument, but they still wouldn't be as good as 19s in every surface. Just look at every modern supercar, and none I remember has 18s ; there must be a reason.

Bottom line is for the OPs problem, he'd benefit the best with a forged set of 18s IMO. Good day gang.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #41
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

The reason is that premium race/performance rubber is cheaper in 18 that 19. Thats about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #42
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
A blanket statement like that is simply not true. Furthermore, performance has MANY aspects, so depends what you're talking about. And finally, a HUGE factor is surface, where some might benefit 18s and others 19s. Too many factors to throw a blanket statement like that .

For starters, the stock 18" setup is HEAVIER than the 220 setup, but lighter than ZCP. However, ZCP wheels are wider, with suspension slightly stiffer, BUT same tire sizes; which setup is better? Forged 18s lighter than 220s would be a better argument, but they still wouldn't be as good as 19s in every surface. Just look at every modern supercar, and none I remember has 18s ; there must be a reason.

Bottom line is for the OPs problem, he'd benefit the best with a forged set of 18s IMO. Good day gang.
Read post #28 in this thread. If you have any evidence that 19s will outperform 18s I would be interested in seeing it.

CA

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #43
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post

I full agree here.... I saw significant performance increase at road atlanta with 19's over 18's. Same rubber, same day - back to back runs with 19's with slightly wider rubber. less sidewall means less tire squirm - simliar to having stiffer springs - less time wasted in transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
The reason is that premium race/performance rubber is cheaper in 18 that 19. Thats about it.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #44
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Read post #28 in this thread. If you have any evidence that 19s will outperform 18s I would be interested in seeing it.

CA
Some of my posts on 18 vs 19 on track.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572754
Appreciate 0