BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

03-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Pre-LCI E90 tails, LED & errors

Hoping someone with electrical experience can chime in... I bought a set of LED tailliaghts from JleviSW late last year and installed them. Initial tests seemed fine, then a neighbor called me and told me the brake lights weren't working. I ordered the $15 anti-flicker module that was supposed to 'cure all' but they didn't come with any instructions or any clue as to how to install.

So I uninstalled the LED lights and put the stock lights back in. Two bulbs on the passenger side blew immediately. Replaced them. Now I'm getting an error that the Stage Two bulb on the passenger side is out... along with a driver's side malfunction (the ambient light that illuminates when you unlock the car isn't coming on). Bulbs are all okay. Stopped by the dealer last week and they told me an appointment is necessary. They said the LEDs are malfunctioning... but I don't see LEDs anywhere in the taillight, only good old fashioned bulbs. Anyone know if my electrical is hosed and if it could be the result of a part I've since uninstalled? What types of things can I do to troubleshoot, maybe repair on my own? TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
4was
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Alpine White / Fox Red

Were they genuine BMW LCI's that you installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4was View Post
Same question - what specific lights did you install?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4was View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Same question - what specific lights did you install?
Nope, bought these from JLeviSW. Link here.

Picked my car up from the dealer Monday. They replaced the passenger-side housing. Right after I pulled out, I got another error (Left Tail Light Malfunction). Turned around and pulled back into the service bay. They replaced another bulb that had popped and sent me on my way. So far, so good. But I can tell you I'm not reinstalling these lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
But I can tell you I'm not reinstalling these lights.
So..? Did you ever find out the cause of problem? Are the LED lights you got no good/ defective? I've been eyeing theses lights, just haven't got on it yet.

'08 Jerez Black E90 ///M3
Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post
So..? Did you ever find out the cause of problem? Are the LED lights you got no good/ defective? I've been eyeing theses lights, just haven't got on it yet.
I never did definitively figure out if the source of my woes was these lights or not. Like I said, they're not going back in though. My production date is 03/08 and I wonder if it's right on the cusp of when things started to change related to the lights... Want to buy mine?

Last week I started getting another tail light malfunction (OEM have remained in the entire time), this time for the driver's side. I checked the bulbs and they're all in good shape. It didn't pop up this morning though. Taking it to the dealer again Weds for another reason (oil change + increased emissions), will see if they can look at it again.
Appreciate 0