BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

03-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

How to start tracking.

Well, I have to admit that I am 19 with no track experiences. My friends are idiot that drives fast on canyon roads and surprisingly haven't died yet. I for one am not idiotic like them as they have been pushing me to take my M3 with them... no. I feel like starting to go tracking and hopefully lure my friends away from their "home grounds" and hopefully they will not be dangerous for not only themselves but others as well.

As of now I am planning on purchasing a e36 M3 and will be modifying it for track specs because I am afraid of destroying my e92 M3. I have a few questions below and if anyone may answer them that would be great.

1. What are track days/events like.
2. Since I have no experience with track days I assume it is best to find a coach first.
3. What do I need to bring to track.
4. Can't think right now so any advice/tip would be great.

Yes, I know I am still young and you may question liability but I just want to know the information, doesn't mean I will be tracking anytime soon.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

First, congrats for making a good decision on visiting a track, and to participate in a HPDE. There are several threads relative to your questions, however, I am happy to provide some input.

1. Track days / events - There are many club chapters, BMW, Porche, Audi, Mazda, etc which sponsor events (refered to as HPDE, High Performance Driving Education) at tracks all over the country. Many are held in Calif. A typical event will usually comprise of several track periods, and as a novice which you will be, accompanied by an in car instructor who will be your event coach. Along with in car training, there is normally several class room sessions to underline what your instructor is coaching you in the car. Speed is not the issue, car control and situational awareness is the number one point with will be stressed during your first events. As you progress, driving skills will improve, and your training will advance also. A good source to find events:

www.motorsportsreg.com

2. No need to look for a coach. Any HPDE event will provide very qualified instructors.

3. What to bring to the track, number one, an open mind, and willingness to learn. Any event you sign up for will provide you with information on what they recommend you have. Some of it is personal, most is required. Speaking for the events I participate in: You will need a "S" helmet, long sleve shirt, long pants, confortable shoes, (I used tennis shoes initially), driving gloves (are nice but not required), and personal as desired - i.e water, food/snacks, hat, jacket etc.

4. Sign up, relax, and go have a good time - no have a great time. This will be a good experience, so be ready, it is very habit forming.

vz

Previous Track Toy

Last edited by von_zoom; 03-23-2010 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

First, congrats for making a good decision on visiting a track, and to participate in a HPDE. There are several threads relative to your questions, however, I am happy to provide some input.

1. Track days / events - There are many club chapters, BMW, Porche, Audi, Mazda, etc which sponsor events (refered to as HPDE, High Performance Driving Education) at tracks all over the country. Many are held in Calif. A typical event will usually comprise of several track periods, and as a novice which you will be, accompanied by an in car instructor who will be your event coach. Along with in car training, there is normally several class room sessions to underline what your instructor is coaching you in the car. Speed is not the issue, car control and situational awareness is the number one point with will be stressed during your first events. As you progress, driving skills will improve, and your training will advance also.

2. No need to look for a coach. Any HPDE event will provide very qualified instructors.

3. What to bring to the track, number one, an open mind, and willingness to learn. Any event you sign up for will provide you with information on what they recommend you have. Some of it is personal, most is required. Speaking for the events I participate in: You will need a "S" helmet, long sleve shirt, long pants, confortable shoes, (I used tennis shoes initially), driving gloves (are nice but not required), and personal as desired - i.e water, food/snacks, hat, jacket etc.

4. Sign up, relax, and go have a good time - no have a great time. This will be a good experience, so be ready, it is very habit forming.

vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

1. Track days / events - There are many club chapters, BMW, Porche, Audi, Mazda, etc which sponsor events (refered to as HPDE, High Performance Driving Education) at tracks all over the country. Many are held in Calif. A typical event will usually comprise of several track periods, and as a novice which you will be, accompanied by an in car instructor who will be your event coach. Along with in car training, there is normally several class room sessions to underline what your instructor is coaching you in the car. Speed is not the issue, car control and situational awareness is the number one point with will be stressed during your first events. As you progress, driving skills will improve, and your training will advance also.

vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

WHOA!!!
Moderator, please erase the above duplicate posts. Don't know what happen.
Sorry
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

i'm much older but i started tracking after i got my hopefully "last" ticket.. that was a $430 tic and i was thinking "man.. on track i will have more fun without worrying about cops"..
it's pretty addicting to say the least..
have fun!
      03-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

i'm much older but i started tracking after i got my hopefully "last" ticket.. that was a $430 tic and i was thinking "man.. on track i will have more fun without worrying about cops"..
it's pretty addicting to say the least..
have fun!
      03-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post

vz
Thanks for the response, I did do a few searches but I guess I used the wrong "search words." I am actually surprised how easy it was for the setup and wasn't as complicated as I originally had thought. Do I have to call in a set up a reservation or simply drive there and sign up. How often do you see novices at these events?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:

vz
Thanks for the response, I did do a few searches but I guess I used the wrong "search words." I am actually surprised how easy it was for the setup and wasn't as complicated as I originally had thought. Do I have to call in a set up a reservation or simply drive there and sign up. How often do you see novices at these events?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:

vz
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do I have to call in a set up a reservation or simply drive there and sign up. How often do you see novices at these events?
I am not sure I understand your question. You can register (make a reservation) on the internet when you visit a site that is sponsoring an event. Simply click on "register" or follow the directions to sign up for the event. Once you complete the online registration, you will be requested to pay the fee for the event. If you attempt to register on motorsports.com you will need to sign up for that web site. It is easy. You may also have to join the club that is putting on the event. Each situation may be different, but the above will cover most situations.

Yes, there will be novice drivers at the event. Most events have various classes based on skill and experience, these classes are called "run groups," and drivers are assigned to them according to their ability. Normally, each class will be on the track by its self.

vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
You will be addicted. I certainly am. Two great resources I use are www.motorsportreg.com and www.bmwcca.org There are plenty of other organizations, but you can start with these two and then look for others.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

BMWCCA is your friend.
There's an event coming up in May at the Autoclub speedway in Fontana, which isn't too far. They'll also loan you a helmet for $10/day.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Get out there and have some fun! I have met great people and I have had some of the most exciting drives. Looking at racing in the future.

Go to Auto club next month with BMWCCA. That will be a great turn out and you can run your E92.
      04-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

There are certainly lots of threads on this and other forums about what to bring to the track, etc... but in my opinion for an absolute beginner I would just emphasize:

- besides the age of the break fluid, the tread left on your tires and the amount left on your break pads, you absolutely do not need to worry about anything else on your car... especially if you have a brand new car like us. I say this because looking at all the posts here, you might get worried that going to the track is soooo complicated when it fact it is not. You simply need to take your time to learn and the terminology, driving technique, etc... will come naturally if you listen to your instructor and be patient.

- don't be shy to ask experienced people at the track for tips, help, tools (eg, torque wrench to check your lug nuts, ....)... all the people who go there, with the exception of the few "forever grumpy" folks, are all passionate about piloting and will be happy to coach/help you.

Go out there, listen and as many people said... HAVE FUN!!!
      04-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #17
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep

Thanks for the response guys. I think I will go to a track event my friend is going to and watch and observe first since mine is still in the break in period. Really helpful to know that it isn't as complicated as I originally thought it was.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #18
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

hey HuangYiChao , if you have 599 to spare, go register at "orange county Racecraft" for first timer, you need to do the School + track day. first half of the day you will go thought few exercises to learn the concept of car dynamic. They have a lot of instructor that currently still racing. You gotta have the concept of what is auto racing before you head to the track. Next event on May 29th. i will be there doing the lapping day.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #19
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Below is a useful link to give all new HPDE people an idea of what HPDE club events are all about before they arrive. Each club has minor variations but this will relieve a lot of anxiety for most people. It's a laid-back instructional situation where the objective is safety, leaning and fun. WARNING: You'll never be the same after you do an HPDE event as it's a powerful addictive drug with no known cure. You were warned.

http://www.morpca.org/page22/page2/D...E%20Guide.html
Really useful guide. Read through it and some good information that I was not expecting was learned. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #20
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

I started tracking 6 years ago when I was 16. I was the slowest dude on the track when I first started (2005 Subaru STi). After many track days, I became an instructor when I was 19. Then, I went on to 3 years of racing and won a Spec Miata championship with the SCCA.

The best thing to do would be to track your street car while it is stock. Then, if you want to continue getting faster after 5-7 trackdays, buy a slower and cheaper car like a Miata, S2000, or an E30/E36. That will let you push harder and not worry about damaging the car, and you will learn more about driving because you will not have driving aids and power to make up for lack of skill.

PM me if you have any more specific questions. I actually do private coaching but for a beginner the best bet is to do a few days with a local trackday group. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
I started tracking 6 years ago when I was 16. I was the slowest dude on the track when I first started (2005 Subaru STi). After many track days, I became an instructor when I was 19. Then, I went on to 3 years of racing and won a Spec Miata championship with the SCCA.

The best thing to do would be to track your street car while it is stock. Then, if you want to continue getting faster after 5-7 trackdays, buy a slower and cheaper car like a Miata, S2000, or an E30/E36. That will let you push harder and not worry about damaging the car, and you will learn more about driving because you will not have driving aids and power to make up for lack of skill.

PM me if you have any more specific questions. I actually do private coaching but for a beginner the best bet is to do a few days with a local trackday group. Good luck!
Wow great achievements! I am currently looking for e30 and e36s right now for tracking. Need to save up during the Summer first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post

Remember it's an addiction. <LOL>
If not already addicted by looking for information many times a week.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #22
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
hey HuangYiChao , if you have 599 to spare, go register at "orange county Racecraft" for first timer, you need to do the School + track day. first half of the day you will go thought few exercises to learn the concept of car dynamic. They have a lot of instructor that currently still racing. You gotta have the concept of what is auto racing before you head to the track. Next event on May 29th. i will be there doing the lapping day.
MUCH better deal here with the CCA, also in May. TWO days, lunch and great instruction for most drivers and definitely for the beginner to the novice. Not to mention you're on a real track. You'll do about 40% of the oval, then you're in the infield the rest of the time. It's a life changing exerience, like TrackRat said. You'll have in-class instruction followed with track time with an instructor in each car.

http://www.bmwclubla.org/media/docum...ation_2010.doc
Attached Files
File Type: doc AAASpeedway.doc (112.5 KB, 183 views)
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0