BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

12-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #45
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
BMW usually screws people who buy the first model year, I have a feelings that an incremental change coming next year will make the F30 a lot more appealing. Would I consider it, YES, would I trade my M3 for it, NO.
+1. We all knew what happened to the folks that bought the 330 when the e90 series 1st came out.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #46
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
I had a E90 335i sport with manual trans. and sport pkg a few years back and got bored of it quickly. Added torque is nice, but the engine falls flat on its face quickly. The M3 is a completely different animal. It really depends what your priorities are. If you don't care about pushing that screaming V8 to 8400 rpm but would rather have higher mpg and a nice comfy ride go ahead and move to the 335i.

I also don't think that the E9x interior is dated, in fact I think that the F30 interior looks rather cheap in comparison, reminds me of a Honda. HUD would be nice though, really digging it in our X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #47
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I cannot get past the throttle response on the new BMWs.

The car stops and thinks whether it wants to go for a significant fraction of a second. Incredibly annoying. Also dangerous. Say someone stops abruptly in the lane ahead of you, so you need to get in the next lane, but see someone coming up from behind. OK, you've got a fast car, just pull out and accelerate. Not so fast - you pull out and pedal to the metal. For a heart-sinking second the car does nothing, just sits and loses speed, guy behind you is now blaring the horn, then suddenly the car wakes up and finishes whatever calculations it was doing then suddenly bursts forward with acceleration. In that second it feels like you are about to get rammed from behind.

Seriously, it's BAD. Had a 2013 X3 loaner for a week and it drove me nuts -- and supposedly the 2013 in sport mode is greatly improved in this area over the 2012. Drove my friend's 135 and it was the same story, so started looking on the internet.

It's not turbo lag and there are so many complaints about it all over the forums, for the 135, 328, 335, X3, even the new M5! Something up with BMW's programming, probably some "Efficient Dynamics" crap, like constantly turning the engine on and off. Like when you about to enter a roundabout but need to momentarily stop to check for cars coming the other direction and are in the middle of turning the wheel to the right angle to go. The engine turns off and the steering locks till you press down on the accelerator again. And of course, press down the throttle and by the time the car decides to go another car has entered. Brilliant BMW, brilliant.

So glad to get back in the M3 afterwards for this reason alone -- and auto stop/start disabled by default.

Last edited by bvanderbilt; 12-18-2012 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #48
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedM View Post
+1 I think it's hideous. Oh, and I would avoid ADV1. We all know how "stories" go, but I've heard more "stories" about ADV1 than I need to convince me to stay the hell away. Part of the reason I went with Strasse to begin with
I really don't like the F30 styling, but then i really don't like the E46 styling either
Appreciate 0