BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

08-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #23
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
Go for the M3. I drove a friend's 997 tt auto and hated it. It was very laggy (feeling was multiplied by the ancient auto box), the ride was poor compared to my E92 M3. Overall the car is very unresponsive, the steering wheel is horrible, it is noisy inside (not in a good way), your head hurts all day after half an hour of driving it. My friend hated it too and got rid of it after 3 weeks of ownership. I'm talking 997 here, 996 has the interior of a Lada and is significantly slower (not to the Lada of course). Nuff said
I have to disagree with your assessment entirely. Owned my 997tt for 3k miles and loved it. My head only hurt from the wicked whip lash sustained from 505 lb/ft of torque and 480 horses. The car was quiet and comfortable and could be driven all day long and/or as a daily driver. I took a five hour trip with the girlfriend and we both loved it. Admittedtly, there is some occsional lag, but it was not a problem. Of course, I'd rather use my feet like Fred Flinestone rather than own any auto box sports car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #24
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I have to disagree with your assessment entirely. Owned my 997tt for 3k miles and loved it. My head only hurt from the wicked whip lash sustained from 505 lb/ft of torque and 480 horses. The car was quiet and comfortable and could be driven all day long and/or as a daily driver. I took a five hour trip with the girlfriend and we both loved it. Admittedtly, there is some occsional lag, but it was not a problem. Of course, I'd rather use my feet like Fred Flinestone rather than own any auto box sports car.
No arguing there the car is super fast. I would imagine the stick version will be much better than the auto lag wise but I didnt enjoy the driving experience as a whole. I disagree that the 997tt can be your daily driver, far too rough. I just cant imagine how brutal would the facelifted version be, 20-30 horses and PDK box, bye bye GTR.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #25
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No arguing there the car is super fast. I would imagine the stick version will be much better than the auto lag wise but I didnt enjoy the driving experience as a whole. I disagree that the 997tt can be your daily driver, far too rough. I just cant imagine how brutal would the facelifted version be, 20-30 horses and PDK box, bye bye GTR.
I respect your opinion, but I am quite surprised to read your comment about the rough ride. The tt is definately much softer than the 997 or 997S in each suspension setting. I thought that the car was way too soft and I know that has been a common complaint amongst most turbo owners. PAG softened the 997tt to attract the Merc crowd, steering away from their roots and losing some die hard enthusiasts; along with that some recognition. I hope that Porsche NA offers an optional SPASM (Sports Suspension) like now offered on the 997.2.

Maybe the tip tt has more lag. I know that my stick had minimal and in most situations, none.

I am certain that Porsche is targeting the GTR. You're right, 20-30 more horses and PDK will do quite a bit. I have also heard that with DI and re-designed engine architecture, the engine will have even more elasticity (not that it needed it) focused on more mid-range grunt.

I am trying to get a 2010 GT3, which is my first pick. If that won't happen, then I am going back to the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #26
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I languished over this comparo, with a C6Z06 in the mix as well. After all that I weighed, the M3 wn. It's the "SwissArmyKnife" of cars in this segment...backseat to the 996TT only in snow. As a daily driver with warrantee and maintenance (or at least half, since I'm not going 15Kmiles between oil changes), a respectable car for my work environment (private banker) that can carry my two kids in the back, and a potent track car...it was tough to beat.

The 996TT, well, it's a money pit...not just for maintenance but for ease of modding, and those mods aren't cheap. I'd get divorced if I bought the Porsche...engine mods, suspension, race-seats, cage...my wife is a good one, but not a saint and I wouldn't blame her as I've suffered from chronic "aftermarketitis' for many years.

And then there's the "we've got a problem with the engine or tranny" nightmare...sure, they are stout but when something goes wrong it's BIG money. That's what really drove me away, and the need to buy/lease another car for work/DD duties.

To the OP -
if it's a weekend car/track car....get a 996GT3. Just a weekend car...996TT.
In a few years you'll be able to sell either one for close to what you paid and then buy an M3 for 20K less than now, and you'll have the experience of the Pcar.

Either way, good problem to have...
Be good,
TomK
(the 996 in my screenname is from a Ducati996, not a Porsche)

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #27
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Certainly some valid points however the rear seat is only a bonus if one desires a back seat, otherwise it's moot. And, the 996tt is superior performance wise in any weather, whether it be foul or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #28
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the rear seat is only a bonus if one desires a back seat, otherwise it's moot. .
Yes, and a moot discussion...if one does not desire a back seat, then would the M3 be a consideration?

Quote:
And, the 996tt is superior performance wise in any weather, whether it be foul or not.
Yes, but not by much...and certainly not enough for me to have dismissed the M3. And if performance was the most important consideration, I'd have bought a new C6Z06 (they are going for $10K off MSRP).

Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!

Last edited by ace996; 08-30-2008 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #29
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

I had a new Z06 as well, Not close to being in the same ball park as a 996 or 997 twin turbo.

NOT EVEN CLOSE. It's in the little league. and besides, every Tom Dick and Harry could own one. and they do, and they think there cool.

Here in MSP there are only 5 or 6 Turbo's around compared to 10.000 of the Chevy.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #30
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
I had a new Z06 as well, Not close to being in the same ball park as a 996 or 997 twin turbo.
On the street, fit and finish?...absolutely, there's a big difference between a $70K American car and a $150K German car.
But on the track, as I prefaced my above opinion based on PERFORMANCE, the Z06, as I'm sure you would agree, will demolish both of them...stock for stock or modded for modded. A set of T-1 sways and Hoosiers on the Z and there's not much short of a purpose built racecar, and a monster one at that, that can compete.
But I needed back seats for the kids, so the M3 won.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 03:36 AM   #31
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
On the street, fit and finish?...absolutely, there's a big difference between a $70K American car and a $150K German car.
But on the track, as I prefaced my above opinion based on PERFORMANCE, the Z06, as I'm sure you would agree, will demolish both of them...stock for stock or modded for modded. A set of T-1 sways and Hoosiers on the Z and there's not much short of a purpose built racecar, and a monster one at that, that can compete.
But I needed back seats for the kids, so the M3 won.
Hi Ace, never had the ZO6 on a track, so I can't say for sure. You are probably correct. I was referring to the Porsche as a daily driving car.

I used to drive my twin turbo's all year around, rain or shine. With great snow tires it was a blast to drive even in the Winter here in Mn.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 03:49 AM   #32
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I

it's a money pit...but for ease of modding, and those mods aren't cheap.
Either way, good problem to have...
Boy, you can say that again
15k worth of Techart toys.

P.S. I was already divorced when I had the 997 ....

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #33
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was referring to the Porsche as a daily driving car.

I used to drive my twin turbo's all year around, rain or shine. With great snow tires it was a blast to drive even in the Winter here in Mn.

Scott
Scott,
Those TT's are the ultimate "daily-driver supercars"...
Quote:
Boy, you can say that again
15k worth of Techart toys.
It appears that the 996TT has become the new 'Supra Turbo'. The amount of power that can be coaxed out of that motor is just incredible, second only to how much it costs to do so...
I would love to get an '02X50 and a few mods...but I'm not looking for that divorce just yet...

Good luck with the M,
TomK

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #34
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Scott,

Good luck with the M,
TomK

Thank You, let's hope the 09 is a little more reliable then the new 08 I bought.

P.S. for the poster waiting for the M3 from the mommy, I bought my son a new Honda Civic SI for his graduation present, and he is thrilled to death with it.

I worked over 30 years before I was able to afford these type of cars, and sold my beloved car only to benefit my son for his eduction.

In the final analysis, cars are only 4 wheels and a gas tank. Do good in school, get a job and then go buy your own car. You will feel better about it then! oh oh that kid is on another thread sorry. Under who's waiting for the new Idrive.

Can someone cut and paste the P.S. part to the correct thread, don't know how to insert just a paragraph. Thanks.

IMHO

Last edited by Captain Scott; 08-31-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #35
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
same dilemma ... 996 TT or new M3, went new M3 cause the maintenance costs on the 996 would be crazy i reckoned, and what people adviced ... the clutch is something to look out for on the 996, that's what people told me ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #36
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
same dilemma ... 996 TT or new M3, went new M3 cause the maintenance costs on the 996 would be crazy i reckoned, and what people adviced ... the clutch is something to look out for on the 996, that's what people told me ...
Not the clutch...the tranny, more specifically - 'second gear pop-out'. If not under warrantee, it is a very costly job.
Be good,
TomK

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #37
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I too considered a 997 when deciding on my M. I had an opportunity to buy an '07 with just 6K on the clock for 54 thousand dollars from my BMW dealer (997 was traded on an M3). I had it for a 4 DAY test drive.

I was not impressed. Granted, it was "just" a straight 997, not the S, and it was not heavily optioned, but I was very disappointed. Noisy, rough ride, not at all smooth, and lacking in the power department... not to mention a cheap plastic interior and pathetic radio. I gave the car back with a very different perception than when I took it.

My M3 would eat that car alive.

As for the 996... wouldn't ever own one. Those cars are depreciating so fast it is frightening. You won't be able to GIVE that car away a year from now.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #38
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dakar yellow '95 e36 m3

Quote:
Go for the M3. I drove a friend's 997 tt auto and hated it. It was very laggy (feeling was multiplied by the ancient auto box), the ride was poor compared to my E92 M3. Overall the car is very unresponsive, the steering wheel is horrible, it is noisy inside (not in a good way), your head hurts all day after half an hour of driving it. My friend hated it too and got rid of it after 3 weeks of ownership. I'm talking 997 here, 996 has the interior of a Lada and is significantly slower (not to the Lada of course). Nuff said
If tracking your car is a big thing for you, instead of a turbo or an m3, get a naturally aspirated gt3, no turbo lag race ready suspension and one hell of a car. It would tear them both up on the track.
You can actually pick up a pretty nice used gt3 for around 60 or 70 thousand dollars. Id much rather track that bad boy then a used turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #39
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

997tt, yes.

996tt, no. I just hate the way it look.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #40
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarE36 View Post
If tracking your car is a big thing for you, instead of a turbo or an m3, get a naturally aspirated gt3, no turbo lag race ready suspension and one hell of a car. It would tear them both up on the track.
You can actually pick up a pretty nice used gt3 for around 60 or 70 thousand dollars. Id much rather track that bad boy then a used turbo.
I couldn't find a GT3 for that much, 07 GT3's were going in the high 90's to low 100's and those were the cheap ones, and forget about the RS, try 150's up.

one thing I must say have a friend with a 997 turbo and yes it is expensive to mod, he has 27k in it but he has about 650 hp. Feels like it'll do high 10's on street tires, and it takes a hell of a beating, he drives it like he stole it everyday, only thing that's problematic with that much HP is his clutch and he had to go with an a/market clutch, bad thing it engages too sharply.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #41
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dakar yellow '95 e36 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfisher View Post
I couldn't find a GT3 for that much, 07 GT3's were going in the high 90's to low 100's and those were the cheap ones, and forget about the RS, try 150's up.

one thing I must say have a friend with a 997 turbo and yes it is expensive to mod, he has 27k in it but he has about 650 hp. Feels like it'll do high 10's on street tires, and it takes a hell of a beating, he drives it like he stole it everyday, only thing that's problematic with that much HP is his clutch and he had to go with an a/market clutch, bad thing it engages too sharply.
Found a used 996 gt3 with 20,000 miles for around 65 k on ebay. I would never buy a used pcar myself tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #42
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarE36 View Post
Found a used 996 gt3 with 20,000 miles for around 65 k on ebay. I would never buy a used pcar myself tho.
that goes to show you no car is an exception to depreciation, more pricey the more it depreciates, with the exception of a Ferrari.

besides your talking about a 996 GT3, I was looking for a 997 GT3, big difference in price.

Last edited by spearfisher; 11-27-2008 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #43
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR 6sp.E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08M3 View Post
Before you make the choice if your looking for a good track car than yes consider the M3. I tracked my E92 and that changed alot of my opinion's about the car, what I don't like is that the car feels soft/heavy during daily use compared to a 996 turbo or even previous M3. A 996 feels a bit rough/aggresive, the old E46 M used to have that feeling and it's lost with the new design that's what I miss. I do think that with a little tuning the E92 M would give the 996tt a good run on the track. Either way you can't go wrong they are both extremly well built cars, but remember the E92 M changes alot at the track that might suprise you.
It would be nice if you would gather your thoughts and give one coherent opinion, rather than two that are contradicting.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #44
cut2qr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 sedan

I struggled with a similar question for several months.
I ended up trading my c4 cab for a e90. The e 90 is certainly a much more comfortable daily driver, albeit not nearly as comfortable in wet weather. The problem with the Pcar is the high operating cost. Greater than 2k per year. This combined with the depreciation (2.5k per year minimum) makes the m3 a better financial decision. Particularly with the current 0.9 financing.
Appreciate 0