BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

09-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Smile Los Angeles BMW CCA autocross - Nov 13 - Cal Speedway

BMW CCA - Los Angeles Chapter - Autocross
Sunday Nov 13
Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA

Register here --> http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...917495AEA44263
Map here --> http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1_...ed=0CBoQ8gEwAA

Thank you to Beverly Hills BMW for their support of the autocross program!

Last day to register online: Sat Nov 12, 2011

This event will be the first where we experiment with a new feature, we are calling it; Speed Shop Hands On Tech Session (SSHOTS). We'll be doing SSHOTS with HP Autowerks from Santa Barbara. Harold and his team specialize in M3, E9x, and E8x BMW maintenance and tuning. The HP Autowerks team will be on-hand to consult on the performance upgrades and setup of your BMW. They will also be bringing their pro driver, Jeff Tyler, and shop track-car (1M!) so that you can ride as a passenger in a well driven, well setup car. Their driver will also be instructing and, if OK with you, driving your car to give an honest and educated assessment of it. What first, upgrade anti-roll bars or camber plates? Is it the car that's slow or is it the driver? Which suspension and brake upgrades are the best value for the money? HP Autowerks along with Jeff Tyler have the knowledge and experience to answer those questions.

Entrance to Auto Club Speedway and the LA BMW CCA autocross is free. If you don't plan on driving in the autocross, please drop by and see what these events are all about and get a free ride in a modified 1M.

For drivers, registration is $65 if you pay in advance and $75 (cash only) if you register at the event. Your entry fee includes instruction, lunch and waters. Extra lunches are $7 each, and helmet rentals are $10. Online registration is at MotorsportReg.com
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...917495AEA44263

The gates open at 6:00. Registration and tech open at 7:00. There will be a mandatory driver's meeting at 8:30. First car out will be at 9:00. The event will end by 5:00 or dusk.

This event WILL sell out so please pre-register. We don't want to turn people away but we will in order to ensure everybody gets as many runs as possible. No refund or credit will be issued if you cancel less than 7 days before the event. Before that we will issue you a credit toward a future event only.

When at Auto Club Speedway, please respect posted speed limits and other traffic signs. We like having a place to play and would hate for "one bad apple" to ruin it for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
satakal
Major
Rep

bump
This stuff is fun!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
satakal
Major
Rep

The day before, a few of us will go have lunch with legendary road racer and K1 Speed owner Boris Said. I can't wait to hear him tell war stories! Great motorsports weekend for us in SoCal.

Quote:
San Diego and LA Chapter - Open House and BBQ at BMW of Murietta
November 12 The owner (Boris Said) and staff of BMW of Murrieta, 26825 Auto Mall Pkwy, Murrieta, CA 92562, are looking forward to meeting you. Please join them for an exclusive BMW CCA introduction and lunch. The San Diego Chapter has an informal caravan leaving Bad Ass Coffee in Rancho Penasquitos around 10:30. RSVP on Facebook (through the San Diego Chapter Group page) or to Nick Owen at sd-president@sdbmwcca.com
http://sdbmwcca.com/calendar.html
http://www.bmwclubla.org/calendar.php#214
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

What is the format for the event?

For example: The trackdays I have done consist of 3 groups which go for 20 minutes each (40 mins between runs). I did my first autocross with the PCA at El Toro and there was 2+ hours of downtime between runs? Is this standard for autocrosses?

Also, is the parking lot pretty clean? The autocross I did at El Toro (abondoned air strip) was extremely dirty with some sizable rocks - I would not subject my car to that again unless I wrapped the entire thing in blue tape lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
What is the format for the event?

For example: The trackdays I have done consist of 3 groups which go for 20 minutes each (40 mins between runs). I did my first autocross with the PCA at El Toro and there was 2+ hours of downtime between runs? Is this standard for autocrosses?

Also, is the parking lot pretty clean? The autocross I did at El Toro (abondoned air strip) was extremely dirty with some sizable rocks - I would not subject my car to that again unless I wrapped the entire thing in blue tape lol.
This is not a track day. I like to refer to this as a "parking lot event". We will be at the Auto Club Speedway facility but we'll be located outside of the speedway, adjacent to the kart track.

The downtime you mention at the PCA event is just part of the hobby. Many drivers prefer big-track events. Some prefer autocrossing. I love them both equally. But I wish I got as much seat time at an autocross as I get at the big-track. (I can get away with some really dumb stuff and live to talk about it at an autocross.)

We aim to deliver 11 laps to all drivers. More if we're running ahead of schedule. It usually goes: drive 4 laps, work the course, drive 4 laps, lunch, work the course, drive 3 timed laps. There's no guarantee that timing will be operational and on display during the "practice laps". The course will be about 1 mile long. And you'll be busy all day.

The lot we use at ACS is the best I've used. Your car is safe at this event/facility.

The only danger to your car is the quantity of cones you flatten. I've probably hit 100+ cones with my e90. Of those, I probably had one or two scratches in the paint. If you're a normal individual, you'll touch zero cones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...AKKPc7I#t=272s

The event in September featured about a half dozen v8 M3s. Most of them return customers. We run an efficient day that respects your time.

Here's a generic FAQ: http://sdbmwcca.com/docs/autocross-FAQ.html
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
satakal
Major
Rep

Its not too late to signup at motorsportreg. If you plan on showing up that morning as on-site registration, I can't make any promises that we won't be full. That said, I've never seen us turn anyone away.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...917495AEA44263

Here's the morning schedule:

6am event open. Volunteers are very welcome. Course setup and such.
7am-8:30 tech and registration open.
8am-8:30am optional track walk
8:15 am Instructor meeting
8:30 am Mandatory driver's meeting
8:30 am Instructor recon laps
8:50 am first run group to grid at conclusion of driver's meeting
8:50 am first work group meet at timing tent at conclusion of driver's meeting
9am first car out

FYI, chance of percipitation Sunday morning. And that doesn't mean anything to us. We play rain or shine.
Appreciate 0