BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

09-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Cl0ud7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Schedule Oil Change?

I scheduled an oil change this past Monday after my service advisor telling me that you get an oil change once a year from the date you get the car or when the car tells you to. When I got there he told me something different... You get an oil change one year from the day of your first 1200 mile oil change or when the car tells you to.

I just got the warning message telling me the oil is low. Should I call them to schedule an appointment or just bring it by for an oil change or refill w/e...

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

The low-mileage annual oil change rule changed as of Sep 1st; I believe you have to put less than 6K miles to get it. Do a search for better details; didn't pay too much attention since I do my own oil changes.

Anyway, you need to add some oil right away buddy, regardless if you're going to get an oil change or not. With only 6K+ miles on the clock (-1,200 from the first service), you should qualify for a free annual oil change regardless. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

What he said... get a liter in there pronto!
      09-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
DP8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

If the oil level is just low and your not ready for an oil change just buy a quart of oil from the dealer and add it. I'd just call ahead and ask if you can come in and buy a quart to top off your oil. The reason why I would call ahead is the M3 uses 10w60 while non-Ms use the standard 5w30 so they may not always have enough of the 10w60 on hand at the service department.

When I went in they had to bring some over from the parts dept. After that I ended up just buying a few extra quarts on my own from Tischer that way you always have some on hand.
Appreciate 0