BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

09-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #45
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

what about a group buy on the harbor freight unit? I don't see any drawbacks with it really, other than the fact that it requires 220V (same as major appliances like an electric range, A/C, dryer, etc.)
      09-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #46
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I considered that GB, but didn't go for it. Should have done it!

At $2k, I think they are asking too much. Maybe we can talk them down if we get enough people together.

Also, any issues with rolling over it (collapsed unit spec is 4")? Or do you just roll it under the car from the side? If so, what is its height on rollers? I'm asking because there won't be enough space in my garage for rolling it under the car from the side.
I roll it in from the side, but that's because I didn't buy the drive-over kit. For storage, you can lean it against the wall so you don't have to drive over it all the time. Put it on the floor and drive over it when you're going to lift with it, otherwise keep it out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #47
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK, somebody please tell me why everybody would rather consider a $2000 over a $1000 unit? Even if you get a GP going on the $2000 unit, it's not going to be anywhere nearly as inexpensive as the HF unit at $800 after discount. Delivery for each will cost about the same ($100-$130). Both can be stored out of the way or under the car (although both are inconvenient if stored under-car).
      09-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #48
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Dale, I didn't dig deep into their specs, but at a first glance the ezcarlift seems to have a simpler and much more portable design. Based on JAJ's report, you might not even need access to AC power. Also, it seems like you can also pull it apart and transport it relatively easily. The hydraulic option seems to weigh 750lbs (vs. ~150lb)! However, ezcarlight will lift up to 26" whereas the other will do 35". It also seems that neither of them will allow access to the transmission tunnel. I guess dropping the transmission is a relatively rare event, but it would have been good to be able to drop the exhaust and get to the drive shaft, etc. I wouldn't pay $2k for ezcarlift. I'd pay $1k, but I don't think they'd discount it that much, but might be worth a call...
      09-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #49
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

So the wood platform seems the most safe with storage inconvenience.
If you regularly track the car, jacks are needed for tire changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #50
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dale, I didn't dig deep into their specs, but at a first glance the ezcarlift seems to have a simpler and much more portable design. Based on JAJ's report, you might not even need access to AC power. Also, it seems like you can also pull it apart and transport it relatively easily. The hydraulic option seems to weigh 750lbs (vs. ~150lb)! However, ezcarlight will lift up to 26" whereas the other will do 35". It also seems that neither of them will allow access to the transmission tunnel. I guess dropping the transmission is a relatively rare event, but it would have been good to be able to drop the exhaust and get to the drive shaft, etc. I wouldn't pay $2k for ezcarlift. I'd pay $1k, but I don't think they'd discount it that much, but might be worth a call...
The EZCarLift lifts on two lengthwise platforms that are linked by a pair of fairly lightweght horizontal beams that keep them apart. The beams are held on by two bolts at each end and they're intended to be (and are) easily removable. One of the beams contains a drive shaft that runs the lift mechanism on the side away from where the drill goes. If you're not using it for a while, you can just unbolt the crossmembers and stack all the pieces up or lean them up in a closet. It's very compact and none of the pieces weighs more than 60 pounds.

With the unit in "normal" mode, you can get at everything under the car, so a transmission oil change or replacing the O2 sensors or dropping the drive shaft would be no problem at all.

The only things you can't reach are things that are up under the rocker panels at the side, although if you had to, you can just turn the lift 90 degrees under the car and lift cross-ways (I've never tried it, but I think that the jacking points are close enough to square on our cars that this works).

The third option is to pop one or both of the two horizontal beams off once the car is up in the air. That would allow you to drop the exhaust in one long piece, or pull the gearbox if you needed to. The height is positively locked when you do this; it's a feature, not a hack.

The cleverness of the design only really becomes evident once you use it for a while. I also got the caster kit with mine - you can roll the car around the garage while it's on the lift.

Because its so compact with the beams removed, you can take it with you to the track, although I pack so much other stuff that there isn't room for it. As for using a battery drill, my Milwaukee 18V will take it up and down exactly once with a single fully charged battery pack, so bring lots of batteries or some kind of charger or generator if you plan to go up and down a lot.

Last edited by JAJ; 09-25-2010 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #51
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the details JAJ. I would have thought that the individual platforms would not be stable if the cross members were to be removed, but it sounds like they somehow are. I watched a couple movies on their website, and it does look like a portable setup indeed. Since I drive a tow vehicle, I can see myself taking it to the track--say, for a 3-day event--but more importantly one can roll this thing around the driveway, garage, etc. I'll give these guys a call next week to see how flexible they might be in price...
      09-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #52
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
+1

The main reason this unit is more attractive to me is due to its portability and how easy it is to store when it's not in use. I agree that $2k is a bit steep, but sometimes you have to pay extra for the convenience.

Lucid, if you can somehow swing a GB, let us know.

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #53
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

I am in for a group buy on the ezcarlift
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #54
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK, I'll bite on the EZCarlift too, if they can come down significantly on a group buy. I just hooked all new kitchen appliances today, and I don't feel like running a 220v circuit any time soon
      09-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #55
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

^

Nice.

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #56
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just sent Ezcarlift an e-mail asking about group buy - will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #57
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I just sent Ezcarlift an e-mail asking about group buy - will keep you posted.
Good move. Let us know know how they respond.
      09-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #58
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
for 3 up to 6 units I can offer a $200 discount - $1,795 + 150s&h. Units are in stock and available for delivery. If you believe that there will be more than 6 let em know and I can work out some numbers above 12 to 15 units lifts will have to pre-ordered (committed) with a down payment, and build with-in 4 to 6 weeks.

Let me know, what you think about it. BMW owners are our biggest customers, mostly racers and and autocrosser
Above response from Ezcarlift - that is still a bit out of my price range, but that sucker sure looks handy.

Let me know if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #59
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Above response from Ezcarlift - that is still a bit out of my price range, but that sucker sure looks handy.

Let me know if you're interested.
The GB I was in moved more than 40 units.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #60
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@JAJ - how did you get such a larger GB?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #61
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

You can probably get it as well, but you'd have to set up a group buy thread. That means the vendor might need to register with the site. And one needs to manage the people on the list as they will drop in and out, etc. Lot of work IMO.
      09-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #62
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

This GB thread idea sounds great, but also sounds like it would take a long time. I need a lift soon. If this can be put together with enough buyers to bring the price down to, say, $1500 delivered, in less than a month, I'll do it.
      09-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #63
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'd push for the previous large GB price of $1200. They did it once; why can't they do it again? I currently don't have the cycles to organize it, but I'd participate in the GB if someone wants to set it up.
      09-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #64
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
This GB thread idea sounds great, but also sounds like it would take a long time. I need a lift soon. If this can be put together with enough buyers to bring the price down to, say, $1500 delivered, in less than a month, I'll do it.
+1
      09-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #65
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I doubt we're going to get it for $1200, but we might get close.

I propose we set up a thread for a group buy, post a pic like JAJ's and set it up so we deal direct with EZCARLIFT. How it might work...
- Anyone interested would place his order with ezcarlift direct and include M3POST in his e-mail or by reference if they call it in.
- I can have the ezcarlift guy e-mail with the number of positive responses each couple of days and what the projected discount is based on the responses. I'll post this to the thread.
- we keep it open for 2-3 weeks
- at the end of the period, the GB is over and the discount is what it is

I am not sure of another way.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #66
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

At $1200 I am in too.
Appreciate 0