BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

11-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #45
IRMthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

great and helpful DIY thread
      11-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #46
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

As everyone has outlined here, mine also make a ton of noise both front and rear. So far, I've checked every nut and bolt 100 times and spent enough hours in the garage to put my marriage jeopardy. Moton sent me a set of revised rear shocks a couple months back but one of them makes noise. They offered to send me another set but I declined and told them not to send me anything until they figure things out.

Like I mentioned above, I've held off on my public review since James and Moton are working diligently to get the issues ironed out. The support I'm getting from Bimmerworld is second to none and I'm sure they'll fix the noise issue soon. Moton even traveled to Barry to check out his car in person.

Having said that, I've got a full set of revised shocks and hardware that will be arriving on Tuesday that I'm expecting to put the clunking to rest once and for all. You will have my full review (good or bad) next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 01:34 AM   #47
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Arrow The Update...

Alright folks, in the spirit of pursuing the truth, I spend another 2.5 hours of the night on the suspension...

Anyway, I removed the Moton spring assembly and replaced it with the factory spring assmebly.

And the finding: the noise is the same and still there.

Therefore, I can say with quite a bit of certainly that the problem is in the shock assembly (shock, upper mount, or lower bearing). Going to contact BW and Moton and let them know.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #48
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Alright folks, in the spirit of pursuing the truth, I spend another 2.5 hours of the night on the suspension...

Anyway, I removed the Moton spring assembly and replaced it with the factory spring assmebly.

Therefore, I can say with quite a bit of certainly that the problem is in the shock assembly (shock, upper mount, or lower bearing). Going to contact BW and Moton and let them know.

Cheers.
I could have saved you the trouble. Been there done that.
Let's see what happens with my new hardware next week before you drive yourself too crazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #49
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I could have saved you the trouble. Been there done that.
Let's see what happens with my new hardware next week before you drive yourself too crazy.
lol now we have TWO data points. Gotta do this 6 sigma quality (I think Moton needs some training in this area)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #50
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Based on your review I'm gonna wait until v2 or v3 of this kit is released. No way I'd pay that kind of money and not have it be P-n-P and also have the noise issues you are experiencing. I'm very shocked b/c as you know Moton has been the the BMW game for a long time and these issues seem reminiscent of a company that is making prats for BMW for the first time. Thanks for TOFT tho.
      11-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #51
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:

Cheers.
Thanks Richard for trying this out. I am not surprised by the results as it made no sense to me that the noise could come from the springs. I say this because the variation in the intensity of the noise. In my opinion if it were something due to a lack of isolation on the spring mount I think it would make the noise all the time. As luck would have it, when the guy from Moton came to see my car - it was almost silent!

On a side note - Moton has told me that they are not seeing noise in all installations so I guess it makes it more difficult to determine the exact cause. JamesC has told me his car doesn't make noise for example.

So hopefully RickyBobby's new shocks resolve the problem...

BC
      11-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #52
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Thanks for hanging in and sharing the info here. I am sure BW/Moton will figure it out, but how frustrating to be trapped in a development triage.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #53
rzm3
Rep

Hey BC whats the progress on your car? Are you getting a new set of shocks?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #54
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Ok folks my updated rear shocks are in. The good news is that they are silent! The bad news (for me) is that my new springs are too long and my car is sitting higher than stock.

I propose that anyone who purchases this kit going foward buys us early adopters a beer for all of the time that we have invested. I'll be up to install #4 for the rear when I get the right springs.

I recommend that anyone on the fence for these hold off a bit longer until I confirm that the noise is permanently gone.

The new fronts shocks along with moton camber plates are going on tonight. Sleep is highly overrated.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #55
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey BC whats the progress on your car? Are you getting a new set of shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Ok folks my updated rear shocks are in. The good news is that they are silent! The bad news (for me) is that my new springs are too long and my car is sitting higher than stock.

I propose that anyone who purchases this kit going foward buys us early adopters a beer for all of the time that we have invested. I'll be up to install #4 for the rear when I get the right springs.

I recommend that anyone on the fence for these hold off a bit longer until I confirm that the noise is permanently gone.

The new fronts shocks along with moton camber plates are going on tonight. Sleep is highly overrated.
Richard - new rears are on the way. They are going to test the old rears in an attempt to identify the problem....

RickyBobby - glad to hear the good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

BC
      12-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #56
rzm3
Rep

Thanks guys for the update.

BC: before you install the new shocks, will you do me a favor? Stand inside your trunk and try to push your car up and down by moving your hips. I get a very audible noise inbetween each compression and rebound stroke.

Attached is a sound clip recorded from inside my car.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4K6OY2WDQxo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4K6OY2WDQxo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #57
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys for the update.

BC: before you install the new shocks, will you do me a favor? Stand inside your trunk and try to push your car up and down by moving your hips. I get a very audible noise inbetween each compression and rebound stroke.

Attached is a sound clip recorded from inside my car.
Sounds similar to the noise I have and it appears and in between compression and rebound....
      12-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #58
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Fronts shocks, springs, and moton camber plates are on! I've got the process down to about 2 hours now and I nailed the ride height on the 1st try. Beat that Richard

I'll post up the full review when I get the right rear springs but let's just say I have a feeling that I'll be seeing a lot of cars in my rearview mirror at the next track day. The moton camber plates are a very basic design but will get the job done. They make a little bit of the typical race mount noises but the trade off of better wearing street tires and proper track camber make it worthwhile to me.

Some teaser iPhone pics are attached. More to come soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by RickyBobby; 12-02-2009 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: added attachments
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #59
rzm3
Rep

Nice!

Mine, however, is getting louder by the day. My car is officially a microwave oven with popcorn inside...

According to JC, all M3 Moton shocks in the US have the same design and are make in the same batch, so I guess whether there is noise is purely based on how they are put together...

Sending the shocks back tomorrow... sigh
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #60
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Good luck gents, I hope the noise issue gets resolved quickly.
Thanks for keeping us all updated.
      12-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #61
rzm3
Rep

Arrow She's all sad and lonely inside the garage...

Shocks being sent to Moton for inspection...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #62
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M

Does anyone know how low the motons can actually go? i wanna pick some up but would it be better just picking up some KW's instead??
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #63
rzm3
Rep

I'm currently running 0.5" ish from stock ride height. You can probably go another .75" to 1"... but you probably don't want to do that because it deviates too much from the suspension geometry the M3 is designed for.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #64
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M

Quote:
I'm currently running 0.5" ish from stock ride height. You can probably go another .75" to 1"... but you probably don't want to do that because it deviates too much from the suspension geometry the M3 is designed for.
So roughly an inch to an inch 1/2? so in your opinion (height wise) and cost not being an issue, should i go with moton or KW?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #65
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

What are you trying to achieve? Is this for the track or the street?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #66
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyCSL View Post
So roughly an inch to an inch 1/2? so in your opinion (height wise) and cost not being an issue, should i go with moton or KW?
yeah what are your objectives? if you just want to drop the car go for springs. there is absolutely no point of getting a nice set of $5k coilovers just for the drop.
Appreciate 0