BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

EDC error :mad0259:

Hi Guyz,

installed Eibach springs on my 09 M3 DCT coupe 2 days back, droved the car for 300 Miles and then Dynamic Damping Control error massage poped up as shown below

Double checked all wiring and EDC module plug on top the dampers and everything looks good and properly sit!!

Any Thoughts??!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

put it back to stock and see if it fixes the issue. if not, then stay stock and go to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
put it back to stock and see if it fixes the issue. if not, then stay stock and go to the dealer
this

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
E92_carbonm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
+1, that sucks i have the pro kit and didnt have any problems.. hope
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE:

Hit the start button this morning and drove the car DID NOT see the error massage!!
Car was fine untill I came across 3 humps and the Error massage poped up again after the 3rd hump!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3sexMT View Post
Hi Guyz,

installed Eibach springs on my 09 M3 DCT coupe 2 days back, droved the car for 300 Miles and then Dynamic Damping Control error massage poped up as shown below

Double checked all wiring and EDC module plug on top the dampers and everything looks good and properly sit!!

Any Thoughts??!
Welcome to the world of modding !! Basically it sounds like the springs rates are out of spec are for the shocks. You might try seeing if you get the message on all EDC settings or only on certain settings. You may have to drive only in one particular mode. There may not actually be anything "wrong" here. The car's brain may only think there is something wrong due to your altered spring rates. Much like HFC's generating check engine lights. Of course, I am not certain how it will affect the life of your shocks, however. How does the car ride/drive? Does it feel weird or handle badly?

Anyway....first place to start is to see if you get the message in all EDC modes or not.

That said, I would never simply change out the springs on an EDC system. And keep in mind, in general, the more complex, the more integrated, and the more electronics that are involved, the more you run into the risk of problems.
      07-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Welcome to the world of modding !! Basically it sounds like the springs rates are out of spec are for the shocks. You might try seeing if you get the message on all EDC settings or only on certain settings. You may have to drive only in one particular mode. There may not actually be anything "wrong" here. The car's brain may only think there is something wrong due to your altered spring rates. Much like HFC's generating check engine lights. Of course, I am not certain how it will affect the life of your shocks, however. How does the car ride/drive? Does it feel weird or handle badly?

Anyway....first place to start is to see if you get the message in all EDC modes or not.

That said, I would never simply change out the springs on an EDC system. And keep in mind, in general, the more complex, the more integrated, and the more electronics that are involved, the more you run into the risk of problems.
-Comfort and normal mode is fine, massage appears on the sport mode!
-The ride is stiffer now.

I think when you change the springs the only difference would be compressing the shocks by approximately an inch more than the stock rate! and this should not throw an error massage i beleive since rebound factor is still there!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3sexMT View Post
-Comfort and normal mode is fine, massage appears on the sport mode!
-The ride is stiffer now.

I think when you change the springs the only difference would be compressing the shocks by approximately an inch more than the stock rate! and this should not throw an error massage i beleive since rebound factor is still there!!!
Double check the front shocks EDC OEM connectors, please. I bet that one -or both of them- is defective, either by your install or simply the stiffer ride of the Sport mode is increasing the stress (by shock and vibration) to the connectors, thus the disconnection thus error prompt.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mmmm

Car is fine now, no error!! Not sure if its lasting long error free!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I think you might have a bad EDC shock. I had this after 400 miles. Since then, I have installed Eibach's and had no problems.
      07-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ride is perfect now, front right spring was not sitting preperly

Very happy with Eibachs
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Sorry to revive but have a quick question which I probably already know the answer too..

So I take it this is the same message some of us will get with running H&R suspension kit on an EDC car without the EDC modules? IE meaning error message is shown but nothing is actually wrong with your suspension. Similar to not having TPMS sensors on your aftermarket wheels. Light comes up, but means nothing. This is what I am taking from this, since member still drove with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #13
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post
Sorry to revive but have a quick question which I probably already know the answer too..

So I take it this is the same message some of us will get with running H&R suspension kit on an EDC car without the EDC modules? IE meaning error message is shown but nothing is actually wrong with your suspension. Similar to not having TPMS sensors on your aftermarket wheels. Light comes up, but means nothing. This is what I am taking from this, since member still drove with no issues.
With aftermarket springs (H&R, Eibach, Dinan, etc.), since they still utilize the factory shocks, you should not be getting any error messages, unless there is a loose plug, etc.

Only when you remove the factory shocks, i.e. KW Clubsport, will you need the EDC cancellation module to eliminate EDC error.
      02-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
With aftermarket springs (H&R, Eibach, Dinan, etc.), since they still utilize the factory shocks, you should not be getting any error messages, unless there is a loose plug, etc.

Only when you remove the factory shocks, i.e. KW Clubsport, will you need the EDC cancellation module to eliminate EDC error.
Not talking about just springs. I have those and no issues there but switching back to H&R coilovers and really don't want to spend another $300 on the EDC cancellation modules right now. I can run it for a few months without I am assuming. I can care less about a simple error light.

What if you don't care about EDC error? Means nothing right? You don't actually need the EDC cancellation module since in reality there is nothing wrong with the H&R coilovers or KW V3s or whatever suspension you're running, correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

^correct.
      02-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post

Im sorry, but what?

Im not sure that you understand how EDC functions. It has nothing to do with, and is independant of spring rates. It is very simply an electronic connection that enables you to change the characteristics of the compression and rebound of the shocks / struts by pressing a button in your car.

The only way an error message could occur is that A ) a connection was screwed up in the wiring or B ) something internally on one of the shocks / struts was damaged.

The pothole could have made sense by jarring the wiring possibly.

HFC's generate check engine lights because they change the amount of emissions post cat to rates that are higher than factory tolerances. Just like a cat delete would, or the same thing that would happen if you just unplugged your o2 sensors altogether.
      02-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
^correct.
Thanks Richard. Thats what I thought but wanted to hear it from some of you.
Appreciate 0