BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Bulb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan

Soon to be E90 Owner with a few questions about car/finish care!

Hey guys!
I'm new here, but as a soon to be M3 owner I figured this would be an invaluable resource.

I am finalizing the purchase of an 09 E90 in Silverstone Metallic in the next week and I live in Washington DC.
I have a covered parking spot at my condo, but I stay at the gf's apt a lot and she has outdoor parking only.

Given that I have a condo and can't really wash the car myself, I was wondering what you guys think would be the best solution for washing the car?
Should I find a touchless car wash? I heard that the tracks can damage the wheels, is that true?

Also, do you think it is worth investing in a cover for when I go to the gf's or when the car is outside for a while? What is the goto cover that E90/92 owners tend to go for?

The car I am getting looks absolutely pristine, and I'd like to keep it that way if at all possible, the entire front has 3M clear bra, does that require something else to clean?

Either way, sorry for the barrage of questions, I'd just like to take good care of this car.

Thanks for your help guys!

Misha
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Stay away from any carwash place regardless of what they claim to offer. They will inflict damage to your paint always. I'm not a fan of covers for many reasons but mainly because that can cause scratches on the paint as well. As far as washing goes look into optimum no rinse. It's a waterless wash that seems to fit your needs. Onr will be fine to clean the clear bra as well. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Bulb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Stay away from any carwash place regardless of what they claim to offer. They will inflict damage to your paint always. I'm not a fan of covers for many reasons but mainly because that can cause scratches on the paint as well. As far as washing goes look into optimum no rinse. It's a waterless wash that seems to fit your needs. Onr will be fine to clean the clear bra as well. Hope this helps
Oh wow, very cool! So this is a way to wash my car without using any water at all?
Will touchless car washes will inflict damage to the paint too?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulb View Post
Will touchless car washes will inflict damage to the paint too?
Not intentionally. Those things dont get crap off and then you go and wipe it down to dry and scratch the hell outta the car... There is another thread going right now where they talk about the waterless car washing method w/two buckets and some sprays. Seems to work well. From Chemical Guys. Search the forums and check it out... Good luck!

EDIT: Here is the link for the active thread.

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 09-04-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
1. Try finding a coin-operated self wash, at least you can control the way the paint is treated there. Avoid the drive through washes you mentioned.

2. Avoid covers entirely, they'll drag dust and dirt across your finish.

3. The clear bra can be treated like any other part of the car when washing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulb View Post
Hey guys!
I'm new here, but as a soon to be M3 owner I figured this would be an invaluable resource.

I am finalizing the purchase of an 09 E90 in Silverstone Metallic in the next week and I live in Washington DC.
I have a covered parking spot at my condo, but I stay at the gf's apt a lot and she has outdoor parking only.

Given that I have a condo and can't really wash the car myself, I was wondering what you guys think would be the best solution for washing the car?
Should I find a touchless car wash? I heard that the tracks can damage the wheels, is that true?

Also, do you think it is worth investing in a cover for when I go to the gf's or when the car is outside for a while? What is the goto cover that E90/92 owners tend to go for?

The car I am getting looks absolutely pristine, and I'd like to keep it that way if at all possible, the entire front has 3M clear bra, does that require something else to clean?

Either way, sorry for the barrage of questions, I'd just like to take good care of this car.

Thanks for your help guys!

Misha
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738861
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0