BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-20-2010, 05:22 AM   #23
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
(why the sigh? is this a much asked question?)

I would be surprised if they didn't at least fit a thicker gasket to drop compression for turbocharging. I can't see a situation where they'd want to leave it as high as it is with the engine in normal form. Other than that I'm not aware of any extra variables over S/Cing a non-FI engine. Both present fuel, space and cooling issues. Both require a remap (most likely).

Not sure of the economics but possibly the economics of S/C are more favourable than Turbo. Also, it's possible that space plays a factor in our specific engine bay.
Although at a high level the issues are the same for both S/C and turbo, turbos do generate far more heat both in the engine bay and the compressed charge. The compressed charge can be easily dealt with via intercooling, however the extra heat generated in the engine bay is a major problem, especially if the engine bay was never designed for turbocharger(s) in the first place.

In terms of the S65 block, I don't see a major issue if low to moderate boost is being used, GT-R and EVO X have aluminium blocks and run much higher boost levels than what we would normally see on a FI application for the S65.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
Although at a high level the issues are the same for both S/C and turbo, turbos do generate far more heat both in the engine bay and the compressed charge. The compressed charge can be easily dealt with via intercooling, however the extra heat generated in the engine bay is a major problem, especially if the engine bay was never designed for turbocharger(s) in the first place.

In terms of the S65 block, I don't see a major issue if low to moderate boost is being used, GT-R and EVO X have aluminium blocks and run much higher boost levels than what we would normally see on a FI application for the S65.
The engine bay heat issue is eliminated by using the turbo at the end of the exhaust so in theory it should be workable. Not sure if anyone would bother doing it for the volume they'd sell though
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #25
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
The engine bay heat issue is eliminated by using the turbo at the end of the exhaust so in theory it should be workable. Not sure if anyone would bother doing it for the volume they'd sell though
Yeah rear mounting is one way around that particular issue but creates so many more issues...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #26
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
Yeah rear mounting is one way around that particular issue but creates so many more issues...
Oh doesn't everything
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #27
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

this is very interesting actually....there must be someone working on this, if and when a turbo kit comes out it will shit on the superchargers...BUT i dont see this happening yet, just like the E46 M3 the turbo kits came later at the end of the cars production...i personally am hoping for a kit

i dont know why an aluminum block wouldnt be turbo friendly? the N52 and N54 are both aluminum/magnesium so...i think ill contact HPF myself and find out
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #28
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

i also contacted HPF so stay tuned...

the V8 is the direct decedent of the M5/M6 V10 and I have read about 1 M5 that has been turboed...BUT it is that rear turbo setup and i am not to fond of that...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #29
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
this is very interesting actually....there must be someone working on this, if and when a turbo kit comes out it will shit on the superchargers...BUT i dont see this happening yet, just like the E46 M3 the turbo kits came later at the end of the cars production...i personally am hoping for a kit

i dont know why an aluminum block wouldnt be turbo friendly? the N52 and N54 are both aluminum/magnesium so...i think ill contact HPF myself and find out
The N54 is a cast aluminium block ( no magnesium ) and has iron cylinder liners - so there is a big difference here. The engine of the e46 M3 has a full iron block.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #30
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
The N54 is a cast aluminium block and has iron cylinder liners - so there is a big difference here.
so what about the rear mounted turbos? theres one S85 i have read about that uses the rear mounted turbo setup....i think this engine is capable of handling a turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #31
roflopter142
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 STi

if i had an E9x M3...ill keep in NA
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #32
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Quote:
i also contacted HPF so stay tuned...

the V8 is the direct decedent of the M5/M6 V10 and I have read about 1 M5 that has been turboed...BUT it is that rear turbo setup and i am not to fond of that...
Stay tuned for what? Two forum members have already spoke to HPF about this. Face it, this engine isn't nearly as strong as the S54. Get over it and enjoy the Superchargers. People with those are putting down some really good numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #33
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
Stay tuned for what? Two forum members have already spoke to HPF about this. Face it, this engine isn't nearly as strong as the S54. Get over it and enjoy the Superchargers. People with those are putting down some really good numbers.
dammnnn someone needs to chill
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #34
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dammnnn someone needs to chill
Sorry, I read your post while on my third cup of coffee....now i'm working on a margarita, so i'm chill.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #35
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
Sorry, I read your post while on my third cup of coffee....now i'm working on a margarita, so i'm chill.
since there has a been a rear mounted turbo on an M5 how would it not be possible on the M3? the V8 is a decedent of the V10 from the M5 and if it is possible to turbo an M5 whynot an M3?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #36
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
since there has a been a rear mounted turbo on an M5 how would it not be possible on the M3? the V8 is a decedent of the V10 from the M5 and if it is possible to turbo an M5 whynot an M3?
Oh it's possible to turbo charge pretty much any car, but do the numbers($$) work? For instance, with the M5 in question, yes it's got rear mounted turbos and pushing around 800hp, but that Currency M5 costs $350,000.

It's simply too early, if it ever really does happen, for a company to mass produce these types of kits since most M owners are purists and cars these turbo kits would go on will be in the hands of third/fourth owners. Look at how everything with the E46 went. Superchargers are easier.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #37
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

so this is what HPF told me....

"The Inline 6’s were so easy because there was actually ROOM to work with. It was already a challenge (with the slant of the motor), but at least it was still manageable. The V8 definitely turned a small space, into a no space pretty much. It’s a tighter fit down there to get a twin turbo set up or even just making it a challenge to fabricate the turbo manifolds. As you can tell, there is still 0 companies out there who took on the task to make a kit." "But for turbo’s, it’s going to take more time and effort."

They are currently working on there turbo kit for the 335i which is expected to be finialized early 2011...so possibly after that they will look into it
Appreciate 0