BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

02-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Cl0ud7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Service Engine Soon - Advice needed

A few a weeks ago, I get the "service engine soon" light on my car. I call into my dealership to schedule an appointment to have it checked out. They took a look at the issue this past Thurs (2/14).

Here is the work they did according to the printout:

1) perform vehicle test. connect battery charger. DME: 27B1 secondary air system flow rate, bank 2. ck = fault 1x
2) testplan B1215-M60SLV. Result = no fault found. diagcode: D1170-B0000000-07-901
3) clear fault memory

In short, the SA called me and told me the error had to do with the air pump that forces air into the exhaust to help it warm up faster. They hooked up the equipment and tested the pump and found no issues with it. The SA told me a contributing factor could be since I don't drive my car much it could just caused by the battery and recommended that I should get a battery tender if I'm not driving it much.

Fast forward to today, I leave work and start my car and the "service engine soon" light is back on again. I'll have to schedule another service appointment with the dealership but, could there be something else wrong or is it just as simple as having the battery tender since I don't drive my car much during the winter? If so, can anyone recommend where I can get a battery tender? - thanks

More Info: MY2009 E92 M3.....About 16800 on the clock
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
No way to know if it's the same code or not til you read the car.

I would definitely get a battery tender regardless of the results.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
My Schnell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 6MT / Gen II Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
No way to know if it's the same code or not till you read the car.
Agree to this ...

My air pump issue was not the air pump itself, but the tube that leads to it with the mass air flow sensor that is attached with it. It's one unit ...

The tube cracked which caused issues with the mass airflow sensor and the dealer replaced the whole assembly (tube + mass airflow sensor.)

The air pump still worked but the car through the service engine soon. I would imagine that if my dealer checked the pump it would have worked too ...

Have the dealer check the tube/mass airflow sensor if it is the same code.
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT Slicktop, AA X-pipe w/straight pipes w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Thrust Arm Monoball, Solid Subframe Bushes, Black 19x9.5/10.5 APEX PS-7s, Vibra-Technics engine mounts, Auto Solutions shifter 20% throw, WPC treated Rod Bearings & AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Its not fixed if nothing was changed. !!! All the dealer did was reset your codes and gave the car back to you . Error codes don't just pop up without a reason
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Schnell View Post
Agree to this ...

My air pump issue was not the air pump itself, but the tube that leads to it with the mass air flow sensor that is attached with it. It's one unit ...

The tube cracked which caused issues with the mass airflow sensor and the dealer replaced the whole assembly (tube + mass airflow sensor.)

The air pump still worked but the car through the service engine soon. I would imagine that if my dealer checked the pump it would have worked too ...

Have the dealer check the tube/mass airflow sensor if it is the same code.
There is no Mass Airflow Sensor on the M3!!! What part are you talking about???
      02-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

For an older non M car, I recently got this one because it seemed well received by others.
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...battery+tender
I've only used it once or twice and no complaints.

I'm a little suspicious of the dealer when he tells me my problem is I don't drive the car enough. To me that sounds a lot like: "I don't know what's wrong."
Remember, too, that when the battery gets low, you'll get a message on your dash (or screen). At least, I did. There should be a reference to that in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
For an older non M car, I recently got this one because it seemed well received by others.
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...battery+tender
I've only used it once or twice and no complaints.

I'm a little suspicious of the dealer when he tells me my problem is I don't drive the car enough. To me that sounds a lot like: "I don't know what's wrong."
Remember, too, that when the battery gets low, you'll get a message on your dash (or screen). At least, I did. There should be a reference to that in the manual.
It's very common with this car. Battery Tender is one of the best investments you can make on this car.
Appreciate 0