BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Alpine HID

02-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
TURB0XER

Drives: 08 M3 & 05 STi

Fitment of Painted Front Reflectors

Has anyone had a fitment issue with the painted front reflectors? I thought I installed these correctly but it seems there is still a gap. Is my best bet to put the front corners in first where the problem is occurring? Any help or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

TURB0XER is offline   United_States
      02-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
endofanera7
Major General

Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to endofanera7 Send a message via MSN to endofanera7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURB0XER View Post
Has anyone had a fitment issue with the painted front reflectors? I thought I installed these correctly but it seems there is still a gap. Is my best bet to put the front corners in first where the problem is occurring? Any help or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
I think it's the same case with OEM, you just notice it more bcuz it's white on white....

it bothers me a lil at first but not anymore...
endofanera7 is offline   No_Country
      02-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
That seems like poor fitment to me. Mine were not like that- totally flush.
      02-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
///M PWR 00
Captain

Drives: Porsche

uhhh wtf... are those OEM? i hope not.
      02-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
psuwcc112
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 SSII M3 coupe

Mine is similar, I believe the vendor i got it from actually painted on top of the oem. I dont know its doesnt bother that much since i can only see the gap when i am up close.
      02-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
FRRSquad
CHP Officer

Drives: e93 M3

where you get it from?
FRRSquad is offline   United_States
      02-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
TURB0XER

Drives: 08 M3 & 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRSquad View Post
where you get it from?
I got them from Jlevi Streetwerks. I've been e-mailing Nick who's been very cooperative and he suggested that I might not have them clipped in all the way (I sent him the pictures too). Im going to pop them off this weekend and try it again. I hope im the one that made the mistake but it does look like some others are having the same problem. I know my OEM's were flush.
TURB0XER is offline   United_States
      02-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
elm3
M3 Lover

Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Quote:
I got them from Jlevi Streetwerks. I've been e-mailing Nick who's been very cooperative and he suggested that I might not have them clipped in all the way (I sent him the pictures too). Im going to pop them off this weekend and try it again. I hope im the one that made the mistake but it does look like some others are having the same problem. I know my OEM's were flush.

If you email Nick, he will def. take care of you. I bought many things from him and he has been very helpful with any kind of questions I throw out at him. Just give him sometime as he has to read a lot of emails. I also got the painted reflectors from him, but I do not have my car to test them on. I'm hoping that they are flush, but if it doesn't, Nick will take care of it for me.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '11 E90 328i Black Saphire Metallic, Premium Package, Technology Package - Daily Driver '02 Nissan Xterra- Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1-Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
elm3 is offline   United_States
      02-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
E92-Lighting
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
havent heard any issues yet
      02-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!

Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Send a message via AIM to FifthStreetz
Push harder, mine are totally flush.
      02-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
alpine335i
Captain

Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi

Quote:
I have been waiting for someone to post something like this. I had a huge problem with this last week. i also ordered them from JleviSW and i not only had the same fitment problem but had a paint defect on mine too. Nick sent me a second pair which were the same so i just asked for a refund. They get them from Bimmian and there products are horrible IMO. Just ask nick for a refund because Bimmian is making a poor product and making JleviSW look bad, i warned nick already and it seems this not a single incident. Contact Nate@IND for a better fitment reflector.

Two sets came chipped like this (sorry for bad quality pics)
      02-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
GT3 Tim

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I had the same problem, but found a solution.

What I did was pull back the front wheel well lining to I could access the area behind the reflectors. I then used some small pieces of a wood shim and put it between the tabs and inside of the bumper. This pulled the relector in to fit snugly against the bumper cover.

After a week+ in the sun, the reflectors and bumper cover tweaked enough and became one. lol. Wood shims are now removed and the fitment looks OEM.

You may want to try this and use a blow dryer, etc. Don't get it too hot though!!!

Like any plastic, it will become much more pliable when heated. By having a little pressue on mine via the sims, and with the heat of the sun, they tweaked a bit and are perfect. I don't think getting a replacement set will make a difference.....you need to "meld" them to your car. Good luck.
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
      02-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure

Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I had the same problem, but found a solution.

What I did was pull back the front wheel well lining to I could access the area behind the reflectors. I then used some small pieces of a wood shim and put it between the tabs and inside of the bumper. This pulled the relector in to fit snugly against the bumper cover.

After a week+ in the sun, the reflectors and bumper cover tweaked enough and became one. lol. Wood shims are now removed and the fitment looks OEM.

You may want to try this and use a blow dryer, etc. Don't get it too hot though!!!

Like any plastic, it will become much more pliable when heated. By having a little pressue on mine via the sims, and with the heat of the sun, they tweaked a bit and are perfect. I don't think getting a replacement set will make a difference.....you need to "meld" them to your car. Good luck.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
MMMorish is offline   Canada
      02-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
pepper
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M3

yep very annoying, I had the bimman ones, and they were just like in that pic

then ordered some evosport as they just paint stock ones, and there a little more flush, I think once you bend that bumper it will still take on that bending a little for a while ???

very annoying buying these and having it look like cheap crap
      02-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
rav7ks
First Lieutenant

Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
[quote=TURB0XER;4442912]Has anyone had a fitment issue with the painted front reflectors? I thought I installed these correctly but it seems there is still a gap. Is my best bet to put the front corners in first where the problem is occurring? Any help or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

You know I had the same problem with the ones I bought from WheelSTO. The reflectors were painted well. They looked great. But when I put them on, there was a little gap like yours. Well, I fiddled with them but I couldn't fix them. I left them alone since it did not bother me that much.
Well, after 2 months, the reflectors just softened up and now sit flush. I didnt notice it right away. Who knows when they may have softened up.
I wouldnt worry, it seems to be a problem with a lot of them, as the pieces you are getting are brand new and your fitting them into a bumper that's several months old.
      02-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #16
psuwcc112
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 SSII M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRSquad View Post
where you get it from?
I got my from evosport
      02-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #17
MrHarris
yodog

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Mine are like 85% flush, good enough for me lol.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
      02-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #18
FStop7
I like cars

Drives: M6

If you look at the orange reflectors when you pull them out of the bumper you'll notice that they're slightly warped to fit the shape of the car. Once you put the painted ones in they'll eventually do the same.
      02-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #19
Manny212
Captain

Drives: 2008 M3

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
my body shop painted my OEM ones and they sit perfectly flush with no gap

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
      02-15-2009, 02:02 AM   #20
FStop7
I like cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny212 View Post
my body shop painted my OEM ones and they sit perfectly flush with no gap
Most of the companies selling painted reflectors are using OEM, too. The difference is that they're brand new and haven't molded to the bumper yet.
      02-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #21
FStop7
I like cars

Just checked my reflectors. After 1 day they're now perfectly molded to the bumper.
      02-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #22
Nucking Futs!
Major

Drives: nucking futs!

Garage List
I bought from Evosport & no issues.