BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Dinan Stroker Vs M5/M6 V10

looks like they lowered the price even more for 4 engines

just saw it while on the site and thought i would let you guys know in case anyone was thinking of doing one

http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=818&page=2

not sure what the price of the other strokers are but now at this price it is much cheaper from the orig price when it first came out. i think it was like 30k at first then lowered then lowered to like 23 now again

labor cost still is high bc it is quoted 40 hours and most shops are $100hr if not more so that part still sucks

wish i had the money to put one in

i wonder if the labor for putting the M5/M6 V10 in this car would be the same as doing the stroker or more

the numbers are close at 527hp/407/tq for the M3 stroker and 500hp/383tq for the M5/M6

if you could choose btw the 2 and the labor was the same and the cost was the same which engine would you guys pick and which would be faster even though the numbers are close btw the 2.

i am sure the rpm ranges for the power pick up at different points

for me if i had the money i would drop the V10 in then stroker that thing lol.

thanks

H
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

that would be crazy droppin a V10 then boring it and then a supercharger haha that would be crazy expensive to tho and i wouldnt want to go that far and drop a different engine in....farthest i would go is probably just supercharging IMO...so im guessing your considering one of those options?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow! About time for Dinan to step up against the superchargers!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

sorry bout that i just saw the how much does a V10 cost thread i didn't know there was ones about which motor to choose and which was faster etc

so basically with the info you just said the M3 stroker should be faster and more powerful and handle better then the M3 V10 correct

wow i didn't know btw the engine and the labor the V10 would cost that much to do. and totally forgot about added weight of the motor

even now if you got a V10 from a junk yard for cheap it still doesn't seem like it ewould be better then a stroker M3

unless you did a stroker on the V10 lol

thanks for the info

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
We've hashed this same question in numerous threads. The outcome is always the same. Bare minimum: $60k for the V10 (non-stroker), and you're adding at least 100 pounds to the nose of the car. Versus $25k-$30k for the stroker M3 motor and no weight gain at all.

Basically, one makes sense, and the other makes no sense at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i wouldn't SC this car. i love NA engines. and i think the SC aren't reliable enough for me to do as it is my daily other then my truck.

the only way i would do the stroker is if i decide to keep this car a long time. if i only keep it a couple years then i am done after my diff,pulley, and stage 1 susp this spring

then again BMW M division is not making any more NA engines so i am not sure what i would get then in a couple years if i got rid of this car. i am a bmw guy at heart after getting my first M in 03 i was won over by it then again by my 03 M5. but no NA engine no bmw for me.

next step up to get a great NA engine that would equal this car or better is gonna be alot of money like a R8 V10 or a 997 GT3 RS or i guess i could go with a 997S but i like the trunk and back seats and the kinda sleeper look it has. i guess i just like a GT car and not sure what GT car is out there with a NA engine

then i love a true manual tranny and the list of sport cars or sporty cars that have a true manual is getting smaller by the day. the DCT trannys are cool and all and fast as hell but there not for me i like to do the work even if it is slower

i guess i would prob look for a used R8 V10 or a used GT3 RS or a 997S

or just keep my M and stroker it

i got time to decide

you like the SC kits right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
that would be crazy droppin a V10 then boring it and then a supercharger haha that would be crazy expensive to tho and i wouldnt want to go that far and drop a different engine in....farthest i would go is probably just supercharging IMO...so im guessing your considering one of those options?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i wouldn't SC this car. i love NA engines. and i think the SC aren't reliable enough for me to do as it is my daily other then my truck.

the only way i would do the stroker is if i decide to keep this car a long time. if i only keep it a couple years then i am done after my diff,pulley, and stage 1 susp this spring

then again BMW M division is not making any more NA engines so i am not sure what i would get then in a couple years if i got rid of this car. i am a bmw guy at heart after getting my first M in 03 i was won over by it then again by my 03 M5. but no NA engine no bmw for me.

next step up to get a great NA engine that would equal this car or better is gonna be alot of money like a R8 V10 or a 997 GT3 RS or i guess i could go with a 997S but i like the trunk and back seats and the kinda sleeper look it has. i guess i just like a GT car and not sure what GT car is out there with a NA engine

then i love a true manual tranny and the list of sport cars or sporty cars that have a true manual is getting smaller by the day. the DCT trannys are cool and all and fast as hell but there not for me i like to do the work even if it is slower

i guess i would prob look for a used R8 V10 or a used GT3 RS or a 997S

or just keep my M and stroker it

i got time to decide

you like the SC kits right??
so far iv read all positive reviews of the ESS supercharger it looks very tempting, the fit and finish looks the best compared to others such as G-power....but G-power has the experience because they know what doesnt work and what does work thanks to a few blown motors (which were replaced on their behave)

as tempting as it looks i probably wont go that route, i pretty much have every bolt on out there...i juss wana enjoy the car right now with all the added power
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you know it is funny i was thinkin the same thing the other day. i am still missing a pulley and diff for bolt ons but i gave my friend a ride in it who has a 08 M5 with a diff and he was like holy shit dude this car is fast, like really fast. then he drove and was blown away. he drove it when i had it stock and has been the first to drive it since i did all my bolt ons. i did them one at a time and he just drove it stock and now with all the bolt ons. he couldn't believe how much of a different car it was now

then after doing some spirited runs together against his m5, and i had winter blizzaks on no less that are skinnier. i realized the car is damn powerful as is, so i am thinking after the pulley and diff i will be done with any modding bc it really has enough. i mean most times i run out of room now with it. i can't imagine how it would be with a SC or Stroker added, other then getting me in trouble faster lol

if anything instead i will get a nice set of light weight wheels and another BBK kit like i had on my E46 bc i loved those brembros man they just stop on a dime and never fade ever. i want to try to have the caliper painted to match my fox red interior instead of the normal red. i think that would be cool and different. i had ferrari yellow on my E46 so i don't want that again

anyway enjoy your bolts on as i will brotha

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
so far iv read all positive reviews of the ESS supercharger it looks very tempting, the fit and finish looks the best compared to others such as G-power....but G-power has the experience because they know what doesnt work and what does work thanks to a few blown motors (which were replaced on their behave)

as tempting as it looks i probably wont go that route, i pretty much have every bolt on out there...i juss wana enjoy the car right now with all the added power
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
I wouldn't drop the V10 in this car. The v8 is a much better motor and lighter.

You wouldn't even have room for a blower on a v10 inside a e9x.

You can get a stroker motor and supercharge it.

If the money is tight, put a stage one kit supercharger from whatever company you have and it will give you the around same/more performance as a stroker for less money. The only thing you wouldnt have is that torque that stroker cars have..

If money isn't a issue, Stroke it and throw on a blower. (Go Robert!)
      02-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yeah i agree a stroker and then a SC in this car would just be nuts. it would be such a sleeper and i think it would mess with alot of cars in super car territory as far as times go

what do you think one of those would put down for a 0-60 and a 1/4 times?? with good tires and proper traction temps etc. and if aloud to use 93 gas

def under 4 sec for the 0-60 right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
I wouldn't drop the V10 in this car. The v8 is a much better motor and lighter.

You wouldn't even have room for a blower on a v10 inside a e9x.

You can get a stroker motor and supercharge it.

If the money is tight, put a stage one kit supercharger from whatever company you have and it will give you the around same/more performance as a stroker for less money. The only thing you wouldnt have is that torque that stroker cars have..

If money isn't a issue, Stroke it and throw on a blower. (Go Robert!)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
yeah i agree a stroker and then a SC in this car would just be nuts. it would be such a sleeper and i think it would mess with alot of cars in super car territory as far as times go

what do you think one of those would put down for a 0-60 and a 1/4 times?? with good tires and proper traction temps etc. and if aloud to use 93 gas

def under 4 sec for the 0-60 right?
if u can launch the damn thing, id say easily under 4.
      02-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

that what i figured launching it would be your biggest problem. with that much power you will be searching for traction lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
if u can launch the damn thing, id say easily under 4.
Appreciate 0