BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

03-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #23
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Umm, you never snipe from on top of a tall object like that... TOTALLY gives away your position to even the dumbest enemy.
So what experience, expertise, credentials, etc., do you have that you think allow you to inform all of us on sniper tactics?
      03-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #24
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Carlos Hathcock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
I'm still amazed at the shot he made with the M2. Well, two shots really.
Another interesting read on Wikipedia: Carlos Hathcock
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #25
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Another interesting read on Wikipedia: Carlos Hathcock
I've already read the book ' marine sniper' several times. The wiki article is boring by comparison. The first time I read it I was still on active duty and it was on the commandant's reading list. Great book, highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #26
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
I've already read the book ' marine sniper' several times. The wiki article is boring by comparison. The first time I read it I was still on active duty and it was on the commandant's reading list. Great book, highly recommended.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #27
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Yeah it was by far one of the best books I've ever read off "the list", and I read a ton of em (looks great on meritorious promotion and MOTQ boards). Didn't really figure you for an ex-Teufel, but then again, I don't think many people figure me for one either.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #28
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah it was by far one of the best books I've ever read off "the list", and I read a ton of em (looks great on meritorious promotion and MOTQ boards). Didn't really figure you for an ex-Teufel, but then again, I don't think many people figure me for one either.
Yep, eight years as a 2631/0231.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #29
335R1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Umm, you never snipe from on top of a tall object like that... TOTALLY gives away your position to even the dumbest enemy.
Can you tell me what METT-TC is? I'm curious as to what kind of credentials allow you give such an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #30
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I stay away from rooftops in BFBC2. Especially with no way to go prone. Easiest way to finish a squad rush game with a 1:14 K/D ratio. True story. Learned the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #31
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #32
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the girl on Myth Busters fired one of these on the show I watched yesterday - Bullet-proofing a car with phonebooks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #33
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Yeah Carrie shot the 50 cal... pretty sweet!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #34
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Yeah Carrie shot the 50 cal... pretty sweet!
I've got the hots for her
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #35
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335R1 View Post
Can you tell me what METT-TC is? I'm curious as to what kind of credentials allow you give such an opinion.
He's cool, just taking a break from pwning newbs to critique a marine corps sniper.

After all, they make movies and games about these guys, the bronze star recipient should get it right. After all, it's in a book. Didn't he read it?

Leave the .50 cal to the experts:
[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Last edited by J-9; 04-01-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #36
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-9 View Post
Leave the .50 cal to the experts:
[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
The fuk?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #37
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
The fuk?
+1 can some1 explain wtf happened?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #38
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
He's cool, just taking a break from pwning newbs to critique a marine corps sniper.

After all, they make movies and games about these guys, the bronze star recipient should get it right. After all, it's in a book. Didn't he read it?

No offense man, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense... Can you clarify your post?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #39
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Watched it a couple weeks ago and again the other night. Love this stuff. Snipers are fucking nuts.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #40
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

That's a bad spot for a sniper because you're stationary. Snipers need to keep moving to prevent headshots. Trust me, I routinely get a 9:1 k/d ratio on Team Fortress 2 and I'm a seasoned sniper with over 500 hours as a sniper.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #41
radix
No_Country
Rep

Army FM 23-10

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-10/index.html

Quote:
4-10. SELECTION
Upon receiving a mission, the sniper team locates the target area and then determines the best location for a tentative position by using one or more of the following sources of information: topographic maps, aerial photographs, visual reconnaissance before the mission, and information gained from units operating in the area.

a. The sniper team ensures the position provides an optimum balance between the following considerations:

Maximum fields of fire and observation of the target area.
Concealment from enemy observation.
Covered routes into and out of the position.
Located no closer than 300 meters from the target area.
A natural or man-made obstacle between the position and the target area.

b. A sniper team must remember that a position that appears to be in an ideal location may also appear that way to the enemy. Therefore, the team avoids choosing locations that are--

On a point or crest of prominent terrain features.
Close to isolated objects.
At bends or ends of roads, trails, or streams.
In populated areas, unless it is required.
and

Quote:
4-13. POSITIONS IN URBAN TERRAIN
Positions in urban terrain are quite different than positions in the field. The sniper team normally has several places to choose. These can range from inside attics to street-level positions in basements. This type of terrain is ideal for a sniper, and a sniper team can stop an enemy's advance through its area of responsibility.

a. When constructing an urban position, the sniper team must be aware of the outside appearance of the structure. Shooting through loopholes in barricaded windows is preferred; the team must make sure all other windows are also barricaded. Building loopholes in other windows also provides more positions to engage targets. When building loopholes, the team should make them different shapes (not perfect squares or circles). Dummy loopholes also confuse the enemy. Positions in attics are also effective. The team removes the shingles and cuts out loopholes in the roof; however, they must make sure there are other shingles missing from the roof so the firing position loophole is not obvious.

(1) The sniper team should not locate the position against contrasting background or in prominent buildings that automatically draw attention. It must stay in the shadows while moving, observing, and engaging targets.

(2) The team must never fire close to a loophole. It should always back away from the hole as far as possible to hide the muzzle flash and to scatter the sound of the weapon when it fires. The snipers may be located in a different room than the loophole; however, they can make a hole through a wall to connect the rooms and fire from inside one room. The team must not fire continually from one position. (More than one position should be constructed if time and situation permit.) When constructing other positions, the team makes sure the target area can be observed. Sniper team positions should never be used by any personnel other than a sniper team.

b. Common sense and imagination are the sniper team's only limitation in the construction of urban hide positions. Urban hide positions that can be used are the room hide, crawl space hide, and rafter hide. The team constructs and occupies one of these positions or a variation thereof.
So yeah, O-cha does have a point. Then again, practice can be a lot different than theory.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #42
J-9
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
+1 can some1 explain wtf happened?
The round is so powerful, it had enough energy to ricochet back and almost hit the shooter in the head. You can see it goes a few inches wide and takes off his ear protection. You can even hear the high-pitched whine of the bullet. It bounces about 10 feet in from of him, too.

Quote:
No offense man, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense... Can you clarify your post?
No worries, I was being sarcastic. A poster that has obviously more knowledge of video games is critiquing a marine corps sniper's tactics. I have a problem with that.

Since the Marine in question is the subject of these games and books to begin with, there's obviously a good reason for what he was doing.

Last edited by J-9; 04-01-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #43
J-9
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Army FM 23-10
Not Marine Corps. Much different approaches to everything.

Quote:
So yeah, O-cha does have a point. Then again, practice can be a lot different than theory.
It very often is.
      04-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #44
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Not Marine Corps. Much different approaches to everything.

I was in the Marine Corps, so I should know. The fact is that the Marine Corps sniper manual (FMFM 1-3B http://www.scribd.com/doc/3043580/US...-Sniper-Manual) doesn't say much on the matter compared to the Army FM, so I used the Army one. I think the concepts of "staying alive" and "not being seen" for a sniper should not vary too much between services.
Appreciate 0