BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

11-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Speaking of nice watches ...

I have no interest in this company beyond I just bought a watch from them, but here's the deal:

Very small surfer-dude Kauai Hawaii company that hand assembles watches from swiss movements and high quality materials for very reasonable prices with a goal of being every day durable (for surfers!)

I originally read about them in one of Randy Wayne White's Doc Ford books and was surprised because I'd had never heard of them (granted I'm a pretty casual watch hobbyist).

Anyway, the company doesn't have a big production - i.e., you can get one when they get around to it because ... island time

So they just announced they're building a set of 100 for sale and I nabbed one:

Quote:
2012-11-01 01:00:14 - Featuring a combination of materials that would be equally at ease on a racecar or a spacecraft, the Benthic Ti Kevlar has been specially designed and engineered to withstand extremes of temperature, pressure, and wear. In fact over 98% of the watch by weight is made up of only 5 materials: titanium, brass, sapphire, leather, and Kevlar®.

Bathys Benthic Ti
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Looks pretty cool. Congrats.

If any one wants to see their web site
http://www.bathyswatch.com/
      11-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

so you gotta mail it back to hawaii for service?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Hmmm, not sure how this qualifies for the "Swiss made" label on the dial if the movement is cased in Hawaii.

Looks ok, but $600 is pretty expensive for a quartz watch. For that much, I'd at least expect a decent ETA automatic movement.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Hmmm, not sure how this qualifies for the "Swiss made" label on the dial if the movement is cased in Hawaii.

Looks ok, but $600 is pretty expensive for a quartz watch. For that much, I'd at least expect a decent ETA automatic movement.
looks like something from victorinox (an established brand, also cheaper iirc).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:

Very little of the watch has to be swiss to carry the name. The case, crystal, dial, hands etc could all be made in China. As long as the movement is swiss or the watch had any sort off assembly in Switzerland it can be called Swiss made.

As far as the cost, titanium, sapphire crystal w/ AR, 200M WR, etc $600 MSRP isn't a bad deal.

Last edited by S_M; 11-08-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Very little of the watch has to be swiss to carry the name. The case, crystal, dial, hands etc could all be made in China. As long as the movement is swiss or the watch had any sort off assembly in Switzerland it can be called Swiss made.
But I thought the movement had to be cased in Switzerland too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Made

Quote:
As far as the cost, titanium, sapphire crystal w/ AR, 200M WR, etc $600 MSRP isn't a bad deal.
Meh. The marketing of the watch is also a little silly. Yay, my watch band can survive at temperatures at which I'd be long dead. Woo.

At least it's not advertised as faux military like some of the junk out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

IMO, if you are buying a watch in the ~$500 range, it is okay to buy a quartz. That price point is still relatively "entry level" in the world of fine watches, so you aren't going to get all the features you want and a high-level of finishing.

In that price range, for a drive watch, I'd probably also look at Magrette timepieces, some of which come with Miyota automatics. Again, for $500, you cannot have everything. Particularly from a small company.

Last edited by vantagesc; 11-08-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I'm in the watch business and I think there is too much competition in the 300-750 dollar/Euro area to begin with, let alone the arguments Swiss Made whether or not. I have a some Seikos Astron Solar GPS here for >2000-3500 US $....what's the point.

The watch also doesn't look something special imho. Sorry.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I'm in the watch business and I think there is too much competition in the 300-750 dollar/Euro area to begin with, let alone the arguments Swiss Made whether or not. I have a some Seikos Astron Solar GPS here for >2000-3500 US $....what's the point.

Cheers
Robin
Agreed. Way too many "boutique" brands these days. Most of them are divers as well, and like you said they just don't look special.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:

Cheers
Robin
You wouldn't happen to work for Ace, would you? Lol
      11-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
You wouldn't happen to work for Ace, would you? Lol
Ace Koningsplein Amsterdam? (Dimer (?) is his name and he drives a NSX as I recall)

I know them, I'm not them and I'm independent.

From ICE Watch via G Shock, Guess, Diesel, Fossil, DKNY, Seiko to Maurice Lacroix, Meistersinger, Oris etc. (also high end Swiss brands)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
so you gotta mail it back to hawaii for service?
No, that's the benefit of the watch: You go to Kapaa Kauai, Hawaii for service.

At least twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Agreed. Way too many "boutique" brands these days. Most of them are divers as well, and like you said they just don't look special.
Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone - these are surfer dude watches designed by waterpeople for waterpeople. You can read about the design direction in a forum post here:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/bat...ml#post1666780

It works for me because I want a shock-proof watch that I don't have to worry about - plus I'm lucky enough to get to Kauai a few times a year so I like stuff that reminds me of my vacations so that's why it looks special to me

If I was going to drop some big coin on a watch I wanted to worry about then it would have to be a Graham Chronofighter ... but not anytime soon
http://www.luxurybazaar.com/items/it...39A_C118S.html
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone - these are surfer dude watches designed by waterpeople for waterpeople. You can read about the design direction in a forum post here:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/bat...ml#post1666780
Sorry, but they're delusional if they think their $600 put together watch is equivalent in quality to a Panerai or IWC as claimed in the post.

They found their boutique niche, so good on them, but there are plenty of dive watches from well known quality manufacturers that would do just as well at much cheaper (e.g., Seiko SKX007).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry, but they're delusional if they think their $600 put together watch is equivalent in quality to a Panerai or IWC as claimed in the post.
Well, to be fair, technically all watches are "put together" and they don't claim to be "equivalent in quality":

Quote:
the watches feel as good as any...Panerai, ICW, JLC, etc. We place a lot of thought into the tactile experience.
He's just trying to say that the watch is shock-proof, had to kill, and feels nice. I don't think anyone is presenting this as something that would compete with a $5000+ watch.

It's like an M3, nobody is going to confuse nor compare an M3 to a Pagani Huayra, but an M3 is still a good car
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
It's like an M3, nobody is going to confuse nor compare an M3 to a Pagani Huayra, but an M3 is still a good car
Nice try with the analogy but hey, Rolex can be considered BMW/Porsche, IWC can be considered Porsche/Benz etc. Panerai can be considered Maserati or maybe Ferrari. JLC can be considered Aston Martin etc.

So where does that brand stand in marketing terms? I really don't know. But it definitely is not an M3. LOL.

Other good divers/surfer's watches in that price range would be a Seiko Marine Master, some Mühle Glashütte, Sinn, Certina DS etc. Except the Seiko a tad more expensive but also more than good quality and a real brandname.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

I can't agree with Panerai being Maserati / Ferrari. They have a great facility but their most popular sellers are just 6497/98-2 movements at redonkulous prices. Panerai is the caser of luxury watches; feeding off the ignorance of consumers. Only their limited / in-house editions are worth buying and even then, they're still a bit overpriced. Damn good looking designs, though...
      11-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #20
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice try with the analogy but hey, Rolex can be considered BMW/Porsche, IWC can be considered Porsche/Benz etc. Panerai can be considered Maserati or maybe Ferrari. JLC can be considered Aston Martin etc.

So where does that brand stand in marketing terms? I really don't know. But it definitely is not an M3. LOL.
LOL, I stand corrected! Hey, so then what cars are graham or Ulysse? Also cartier ...

I've always liked Ulysse because of the nautical thing (same as bathys), but I can't say many of their designs appeal to me. The Graham chronofighter though ... just bloody awesome IMO
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #21
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
I can't agree with Panerai being Maserati / Ferrari. They have a great facility but their most popular sellers are just 6497/98-2 movements at redonkulous prices. Panerai is the caser of luxury watches; feeding off the ignorance of consumers. Only their limited / in-house editions are worth buying and even then, they're still a bit overpriced. Damn good looking designs, though...
You're right though Panerai has a great Rolex connected history too(pre WWII) . So let's say FIAT/Alfa Romeo/Maserati

Ulysse Nardin: Jaguar?
Cartier: The higher priced Audi?
Graham: A Westfield kitcar with a 1.8 140hp Ford engine LOL

I really don't know.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Good post and I agree with your perception of Panerai (I personally don't care for the look, although I know they are currently rivalling Rolex for maintaining value).

But speaking of Rolex, they are one of the world's most iconic and valuable brands. However, solely speaking in terms of performance/quality/reliability , as a time piece, they are quite mediocre.

Just goes to show you what stellar marketing and brand development means in the retail world (cough, cough....BMW).
Appreciate 0