BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
m3dude
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 DCT e92 m3, Subaru Legacy

AD08 vs PSS

I know this has been discussed a lot on this forum, but I wanted to get some insight into my specific situation.

I just bought my m3 and it came with pilot sport plus with 255/35 19 in all corners.

I want to switch to either the ad08s or the pss. I am thinking about going with a 255 front 265 rear setup, just to help reduce some of the understeer. I like how the car handles right now, but I need more grip in the rear.

The car is mainly used to do long drives (about 400 miles round trip) once a month or less often, and the rest of the time for fun. I have not participated in a track day yet, but plan on doing at least one or two this summer. So I would say this car is an even 50/50 split between "fun toy" and a more utilitarian tool for getting from point A to B (but in a very fun and enjoyable way).

I don't plan on driving this car much in the winter (never in snow), but I do plan on using it the rain (not aggressively). I am not really bothered with a little more noise in the cabin for more performance, but I do want to make sure my car can handle fairly well in the rain. Life of the tire is also a consideration...
Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

As always - it depends

The AD08 is definitely more track-oriented. A few of my fellow E90 M3 drivers that I run DE events with love the tire, but the agreement is that it offers awesome dry grip, ok wet grip, and rides more firmly on the road.

I have Michelin PSS tires on my car and front camber set to -1.4 deg (pins pulled), which I use for mostly street driving, but I also do around 10 track days/season. The tires get a bit heat stressed, especially above 38 psi (hot). I have about 5,000 miles on the tires and they're ready to be replaced. However, even w/really low tread depth, wet grip is, frankly, amazing. I know I'm giving up a bit of durability and dry grip to the AD08s, so I may get the Yokohamas this time around. If I do, it will be in about two weeks. I'll let you know how it goes, if you haven't pulled the trigger on tires by then.

Best,
-Brian
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
The AD08 is definitely more track-oriented. A few of my fellow E90 M3 drivers that I run DE events with love the tire, but the agreement is that it offers awesome dry grip, ok wet grip, and rides more firmly on the road.

I have Michelin PSS tires on my car and front camber set to -1.4 deg (pins pulled), which I use for mostly street driving, but I also do around 10 track days/season. The tires get a bit heat stressed, especially above 38 psi (hot). I have about 5,000 miles on the tires and they're ready to be replaced. However, even w/really low tread depth, wet grip is, frankly, amazing. I know I'm giving up a bit of durability and dry grip to the AD08s, so I may get the Yokohamas this time around. If I do, it will be in about two weeks. I'll let you know how it goes, if you haven't pulled the trigger on tires by then.

Best,
-Brian
I have the AD08s and agree on your assessment of them.

I cannot believe you are getting only 5000 miles from PSS though. That's insane. I've got 15k miles on these and have done many autocross runs as well as a few track days on my AD08s, and they are still more than half tread. I'm 265F/295R, so it's possible that I just have more rubber than you, but dayum, 5k miles?!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dude View Post
I know this has been discussed a lot on this forum, but I wanted to get some insight into my specific situation.

I just bought my m3 and it came with pilot sport plus with 255/35 19 in all corners.

I want to switch to either the ad08s or the pss. I am thinking about going with a 255 front 265 rear setup, just to help reduce some of the understeer. I like how the car handles right now, but I need more grip in the rear.

The car is mainly used to do long drives (about 400 miles round trip) once a month or less often, and the rest of the time for fun. I have not participated in a track day yet, but plan on doing at least one or two this summer. So I would say this car is an even 50/50 split between "fun toy" and a more utilitarian tool for getting from point A to B (but in a very fun and enjoyable way).

I don't plan on driving this car much in the winter (never in snow), but I do plan on using it the rain (not aggressively). I am not really bothered with a little more noise in the cabin for more performance, but I do want to make sure my car can handle fairly well in the rain. Life of the tire is also a consideration...
Thanks for your input!
That's a pretty odd combo of 255/35 all around. I would guess you are having traction issues. It sounds like 255/35 F - 275/35 R is the combo you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I have the AD08s and agree on your assessment of them.

I cannot believe you are getting only 5000 miles from PSS though. That's insane. I've got 15k miles on these and have done many autocross runs as well as a few track days on my AD08s, and they are still more than half tread. I'm 265F/295R, so it's possible that I just have more rubber than you, but dayum, 5k miles?!
5K miles is certainly within bounds of what you might see with street tires that go to the track 10x per year. Street tires can go away after 1 day at the track if the owner is not careful. Road courses eat tires much faster than autox does. The AD08 does also take the abuse generated by motorsport activities exceptionally well, so it makes sense that they'd last longer even if the type and number of track events were the same.