BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - New England

10-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
Gmower
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 - 6MT, ZCP, CF

moving to NH

I will be moving to new hampshire in December. I know our cars have a sever allergic reaction to snow. My question is how many months of the year can you realistically drive your M there and also what are some of the must drive roads? Also on a side note do you ever get bmw track days at Loudon?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I grew up in Washington, DC, but have lived in NH for 20 years now. I enjoy driving my cars, so I have extra sets of wheels with snow tires for the winter. We have a couple of antique BMWs that don't get driven much and that stay garaged in winter, but the newer ones like my 99 E36 M3, my 08 E90 M3, and my 08 535xi all have snow wheels. Snow wheels are typically narrower with narrower, squishier snow tires. You trade dry weather performance for snow performance.

I have lived in the Concord and Portsmouth and Hanover areas, where there are good city and state services so roads are plowed. If I lived up some class 5 road that was not plowed, I would need an all wheel drive truck. We had an 08 X5 for a few years as well, and it did offer more ground clearance for driving in deep unplowed snow. In my 20 years here, doing that is fun, but not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Gmower
Rep

Thanks for the replay pbonsalb...

When we found out we were going to be moving to NH I told my wife that I might have to trade my e92 M3 in for a truck. She told me that we are keeping the car because she doesn't want to see me depressed and also to start looking at trucks. But its good to hear that people still drive their RWD sports cars in the winter up there.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Savage_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmower View Post
I will be moving to new hampshire in December. I know our cars have a sever allergic reaction to snow. My question is how many months of the year can you realistically drive your M there and also what are some of the must drive roads? Also on a side note do you ever get bmw track days at Loudon?

Thanks
I don't know about that severe allergy. Our cars love the snow, assuming you've got some winter tires. I run Dunlop Wintersport 3D in the winter and the car is a beast in the snow. The only times I don't drive it is in deep snow and that's due to ground clearance.

That said, it's not a bad idea to get a beater of some sort. I am considering a pick up or SUV for ski trips this season.
      10-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Gmower
Rep

Are you guys concerned about salt?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Savage_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Are you guys concerned about salt?
No more than any other car. I try to wash mine down once a week during the winter. I usually hit up a touch-less car wash or a self-wash and give the car a good rinse. I go out of my way to try and rinse the undercarriage as well.

A clear bra such as venture shield will offer your paint layer of protection.
      10-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks
Honestly you can drive it year round. I am way north in Maine where it gets more snow than NH and mine is slammed to the ground with a front lip wheels, etc. and all of last Winter I maybe didn't drive it for 5 days straight at the longest. I have an 09 X5 for snow duty but I drove both.

We had 5-7 snow storms and then the rest of the actual Winter was sunny and clear at 10 degrees. Maine keeps the roads clear of any snow/debris. Much better than Oregon or Washington state IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Yes, the roads get salted and salt is corrosive. I do not worry about it because I want to drive my cars. I do run through a car wash every week or two -- one with a bottom sprayer. That probably helps a bit, but you will develop rust underneath over time. Not necessarily fatal rust, but components will rust and eventually the body will rust. It does take a while. Cars are replaceable. When it is worn out, I'll get another one. In my experience, I get tired of them before they are worn out. Some people prefer to preserve their cars for the next owners and drive beaters half the year, which is great for the next owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Yes, the roads get salted and salt is corrosive. I do not worry about it because I want to drive my cars. I do run through a car wash every week or two -- one with a bottom sprayer. That probably helps a bit, but you will develop rust underneath over time. Not necessarily fatal rust, but components will rust and eventually the body will rust. It does take a while. Cars are replaceable. When it is worn out, I'll get another one. In my experience, I get tired of them before they are worn out. Some people prefer to preserve their cars for the next owners and drive beaters half the year, which is great for the next owners.
I agree with you. I have a heated garage for the winter. I can literally wash my car in my garage.

We also have a local carwash that sprays underneath your car to clear away most of the salt and debris.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

get snow tires and you'll be fine

here's me driving my 328 when i still had her

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
loopsandsounds
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7M50, GT3RS, G80 M3, Raptor

Welcome to NH!

I had a similar sentiment as you moving from metro NY and I'm glad I kept my M3. As far as driving your car here you'll have no issues if you live anywhere close to Southern NH and don't live on a dirt road. I live outside of Concord NH and daily drive my M3 pretty much everyday except when it's snowing or icing. Since I live on a steep hill with a long driveway I also have a truck for those days. As far as salt I just take it for a touchless wash once a week and then park it in the garage...keeps the salt cake to minimum.

Backroads abound with minimal traffic and beautiful scenery, so plan a few early morning excursions and you'll appreciate your M3 and NH that much more! I regularly do HPDE's @ NHMS (Loudon) with BMWCCA and SCDA, this year about 8 days so far. NHMS is a really great track and the events are a ton of fun. It's nice to have a track 20 minutes away.

Feel free to PM me with questions...There aren't many M3 owners up here in Cow Hampshire :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
get snow tires and you'll be fine

here's me driving my 328 when i still had her

Nice video