BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
As others have mentioned, I think the JRZ RS1 is a great all around damper to get. I have personally contacted well over a handful of people who have first hand experiences with an array of dampers. I have not heard one complaint of the JRZ RS1, especially for those who street drive and track!

On that note though, I am waiting for Motion Control Suspension to finally release their non-remote canister damper. This is the sole reason why I have not made a purchase just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge View Post
I suggest a set of ASTs. For the price, they can't be beat.
Did AST ever release the 4150 or 4250? I haven't heard much about it over the past several months.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post

Did AST ever release the 4150 or 4250? I haven't heard much about it over the past several months.
Officially, no, but we can get a limited amount of pre-production models that have a few small quirks that don't affect their performance if you or anyone else is interested. I know how some people just don't want to wait.

4250s should be available sometime next year.

If you're interested, let us know.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #25
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
On that note though, I am waiting for Motion Control Suspension to finally release their non-remote canister damper. This is the sole reason why I have not made a purchase just yet.
Surely this will cut down on price. I've heard MCS suspensions are pretty stiff though.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #26
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
Surely this will cut down on price. I've heard MCS suspensions are pretty stiff though.
If paired with an appropriate spring and damping adjusted accordingly to road conditions, I strongly believe it can be quite street compliant.

From my research, high end dampers like JRZ and MCS do a better job of controlling the chassis with their potentially superior valving.

Hopefully some of the vendors or other forum members can help elaborate with more technical facts.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
I've heard MCS suspensions are pretty stiff though.
Sure, a MCS suspension can be setup to be extremely "stiff" (based on spring rates) but with proper rebound and compression damping settings it will have a much better street ride (less harshness, better at absorbing impacts/bumps) than stock.

I'm currently running 500/800 lbf/in F/R spring rates paired with RS1 dampers and I'm able to create a setup that rides much better than stock on the street! The RS1, and the soon to be released MCS SA dampers, have a very wide range of damping adjustment (plus internal reservoirs with the ability to adjust N2 pressure) so with just a few "clicks" you can go from a track setup to a compliant street setup. The MCS 2-way remote dampers have the potential to setup an even better street ride than either SA damper because of independent control of R and C damping (plus an even wider range of adjustment and different internals).
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #28
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Sure, a MCS suspension can be setup to be extremely "stiff" (based on spring rates) but with proper rebound and compression damping settings it will have a much better street ride (less harshness, better at absorbing impacts/bumps) than stock.

I'm currently running 500/800 lbf/in F/R spring rates paired with RS1 dampers and I'm able to create a setup that rides much better than stock on the street! The RS1, and the soon to be released MCS SA dampers, have a very wide range of damping adjustment (plus internal reservoirs with the ability to adjust N2 pressure) so with just a few "clicks" you can go from a track setup to a compliant street setup. The MCS 2-way remote dampers have the potential to setup an even better street ride than either SA damper because of independent control of R and C damping (plus an even wider range of adjustment and different internals).

Suspension Guru has spoken!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #29
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
A good alternative would be JRZ RS1 or the new Ohlins R&T due to release later this month. The above two will not be an overkill and will yield ride quality that is better than stock with the right spring rates.
What are the price on JRZ RS1 and Ohlins R&T?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #30
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_RS View Post
Ohlins will release their pricing at SEMA this week I believe. The JRZ RS1 for the E9x M3 should be $2500 MSRP for dampers only.
      10-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #31
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
Ohlins will release their pricing at SEMA this week I believe. The JRZ RS1 for the E9x M3 should be $2500 MSRP for dampers only.
So around $3000 for springs and dampers? JRZ seems to be a very good company. In Germany they are not that popular. I might consider them later on, when I look for suspension, but the main questions will be TÜV and to find someone who knows how to extract the maximum of the setup. Even the best suspension won't help when you don't have a mechanic who knows characteristics of the springs and dampers and what settings are the best for the car.

Most people here have KW oder Bilstein, so there are many shops who have experience with them and know what's best.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #32
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
So around $3000 for springs and dampers? JRZ seems to be a very good company. In Germany they are not that popular. I might consider them later on, when I look for suspension, but the main questions will be TÜV and to find someone who knows how to extract the maximum of the setup. Even the best suspension won't help when you don't have a mechanic who knows characteristics of the springs and dampers and what settings are the best for the car.

Most people here have KW oder Bilstein, so there are many shops who have experience with them and know what's best.
Depends on which springs and camber plates you decide to go with, but it should be right around there after everything is purchased, not including labor.
      11-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #33
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
As others have mentioned, I think the JRZ RS1 is a great all around damper to get. I have personally contacted well over a handful of people who have first hand experiences with an array of dampers. I have not heard one complaint of the JRZ RS1, especially for those who street drive and track!

No, neither AST 4150 or 4250 has been officially released and in order to get these a minimum of 5 units must be ordered. There are a few sets of these out there with the 50s internals, but not true 50's. We had a set of 4200's that were upgraded to the 4250's on the 1M. Anyone with 4100 and 4200 can upgrade to the double digressive pistons now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_RS View Post
JRZ RS1 run $2499 for dampers only. Add springs, rear height adjusters and camber plates you are about $1100 more.

Ohlins R&T has yet an official price. Ohlins Sweden is still working out some details. We are still a few months away from their office release.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #34
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm thinking KW V3s shouldn't be spoken of in the same sentence as the RS1s and Ohlin R&T and AST suspensions am I right?

I'm really excited to hear about the R&T suspension because they seem to be a true street first coilover, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #35
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

What do you guys think about KW V3s? Are they not even worth mentioning in this conversation?

I'm looking for the most street friendly, least complicated coilover kit. Thinking about waiting for Ohlin R&T, but if they are 3,500+ that could sway me away from them.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #36
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
I'm thinking KW V3s shouldn't be spoken of in the same sentence as the RS1s and Ohlin R&T and AST suspensions am I right?

I'm really excited to hear about the R&T suspension because they seem to be a true street first coilover, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
KW Clubsports are probably more comparable to some of the street / track dual purpose kits. KW competition kits are comparable to some of the more track oriented kits from the manufactures listed above.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0