BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

07-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #243
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Please tell me you didn't actually say that

That reminds me, I don't understand why fast food workers are so intent on throwing away food perfectly good food if they screw up an order.

I was at Popeyes one day and I ordered a 3 piece dinner with 2 thighs and and a wing. I received, I think, 2 legs and a thigh or something, so I bring my box back up to the counter and politely bring this to their attention. They bring me another box with 2 thighs and a wing, but they also take the original box and throw it away. I'm thinking damnit at least let me give it to some poor homeless guy or something .

Granted, maybe I'm being unreasonably nit-picky for wanting my order to be exactly correct. However, in my defense, if I had known that they were just going to waste food by throwing my original order away I probably wouldn't have bothered fixing it. I would've just eaten the original, incorrect order (2 legs and a thigh).

I did lol, I was heated because I had to wait 10 minutes to get back up to the window. Although, I should have just walked in.

Agreed, they should have just let you keep the extra pieces. It's probably a corporate thing.

For example, there is a grocery store near us, we lost power for 4 days and all the refrigerated/frozen food was discarded into 3 commercial contractor size dumpsters. Workers/Public were not allowed to pick food from the dumpsters because they didn't want to lose business from people stocking up supplies from the dumpster.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:17 AM   #244
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
It's a food safety thing, although it's taken too literally sometimes. My parents owned restaurants so I can see what kind of liability is involved, but also taught me to never waste food on the home front (like I literally still picture a Zimbabwe kid starving every time I have to throw away food). The times that I did work at restaurants it did make me sick to have to throw perfectly good food away, but... Manager's orders. But being in sue-happy 'Murica, it's a lot less legal red tape to throw away food that has been touched/"contaminated" by the customer rather than to reach in, grab the sole mistaken piece of chicken and toss that away and get a new correct order and "cross-contaminate" the food somehow. Doesn't make sense to me either.

But the grocery store scenario? Now you're just asking for consequences; even a bum could find a good pro bono lawyer and claim he contracted E. Coli from tainted meat found on the property of the grocery store, where the store may still be liable since it happened on their property, despite the fact that it was pilfered from a dumpster... The same way that a thief stealing your belongings can sue you for injuring himself while robbing your home. 'MURICA!!!
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #245
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I hear you the throwing away of food, had this discussion last night with my son, bottom line he thinks it's ok to throw out something he bought for $1 because it was cheap and he over bought to save stopping at the store(which btw there are 4 within 7 minutes of the house). He probably wastes 7 to 10 dollars a week of his money doing this not to mention throwing out food that starts to turn becuase you did not use it.

Pet peeves lotion or sunscreen on the palms of my hands, have to wash hands after applying either;
dumb asses on the road yeterday pulling out of Dana Point harbor with the jet skis, DA stops in front of me on the road throws on hazards, have to merge over to pass which took a bit becuase no ne whould let me over, DA proceeds to pull up next to us on PCH going right towards Interstate 5 and cuts us off because he was in the wrong lane, DA then attempts to do this again to get 5 going south to a passenger car which just cut him off big time and sent him towards 5 northbound
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #246
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHerb View Post
Grown folks who beg for attention.
Read: LeBron James

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #247
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

We just got back from lunch where Wifey ordered her meal with no cheese (allergy). Waitress said she'd make sure the cook knew not to include the cheese. Her lunch came out with cheese on it anyway. We asked the waitress to bring us another with no cheese and that we'd take the first meal home. We even offered to pay for it, but they said no, it was their mistake. So Wifey got her meal and I got the other for dinner tonight. Waitress got a nice tip as I'm willing to bet the cook was on auto-pilot and just threw together the usual ingredients.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #248
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
We just got back from lunch where Wifey ordered her meal with no cheese (allergy). Waitress said she'd make sure the cook knew not to include the cheese. Her lunch came out with cheese on it anyway. We asked the waitress to bring us another with no cheese and that we'd take the first meal home. We even offered to pay for it, but they said no, it was their mistake. So Wifey got her meal and I got the other for dinner tonight. Waitress got a nice tip as I'm willing to bet the cook was on auto-pilot and just threw together the usual ingredients.
That's good to hear. Sometimes it is hard to tell whose fault it is. Some servers are dumb as rocks but the cooks do go on autopilot too.

I just usually give the waiter/waitress the benefit of the doubt. As long as I eventually get good food in the end, I don't have an issue.
      07-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #249
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I don't like people who are rude to wait staff. It really bothers me.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #250
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I don't like people who are rude to wait staff. It really bothers me.
Generally speaking I agree. But do you feel leaving a poor tip is rude if the wait staff were incompetent?

If so, then that is an area of rudeness that I believe is appropriate...some of them are just dumb as rocks. But being verbally abusive is quite different, I don't see any call for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #251
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

work and doing the same dull shit everyday are really getting to me.

i feel like a robot most days and like peter gibbins from office space, i just half-ass it because i just don't care (no room in the budget for raise/promotion - i've asked).

i have been trying to get a new job and actively looking for positions at other companies, but i havent gotten more than 2 responses in 2 years.

^^^ that shit also gets to me. everything is to be done online with job searching and whatnot, yet they don't take the time to send out a "thank you for inquiring about the position at (insert company here), etc." email.

I am well aware of the "it's not what you know, but who you know" speech, but this is just getting to be ridiculous.

/monday bullshit rant
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #252
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Generally speaking I agree. But do you feel leaving a poor tip is rude if the wait staff were incompetent?

If so, then that is an area of rudeness that I believe is appropriate...some of them are just dumb as rocks. But being verbally abusive is quite different, I don't see any call for that.
I'm talking about the people who start talking down to them from "Hello. I'm Jessica. Can I start you off with something to drink?"... "Yeah, get me a water" is a rude reply.

The people I'm talking about are the ones who act like they are the king/queen and the server is an indentured subject.

If the wait staff is truly imcompetent, a poor tip is certainly in order. I'm not talking about those situations. It's specifically those who are being treated nicely by the staff but are rude in return.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #253
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Just got back from Cabo and the fukn natives try to give improper change back at every opportunity.

Fawk, that really got to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #254
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Just got back from Cabo and the fukn natives try to give improper change back at every opportunity.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I will always try my hardest to dissuade people from going to Cabo. It has so few redeeming factors. I'm starting to think people just like to say they're going to "Cabo".

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #255
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm talking about the people who start talking down to them from "Hello. I'm Jessica. Can I start you off with something to drink?"... "Yeah, get me a water" is a rude reply.
I know people like that. I try to avoid eating out with them as it's embarrassing to be sitting with them.

"Bring me a beer."

Really? Best you can do?

And don't get me started on Mexico. Went there for a geology field trip in the 90's and had a horrible time. Couldn't wait to get out. Never going back. Granted, we weren't in touristy areas, but still, it was bad out in the sticks and even worse in Mexico City.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #256
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post

Don't ever go to southern Italy. You'll get fleeced there by the locals under the aegis of 'miscommunication.'
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #257
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I will always try my hardest to dissuade people from going to Cabo. It has so few redeeming factors. I'm starting to think people just like to say they're going to "Cabo".
Compared to all these other beautiful places, you are so right. Just had to cross that place off my list.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #258
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionJim View Post
work and doing the same dull shit everyday are really getting to me.

i feel like a robot most days and like peter gibbins from office space, i just half-ass it because i just don't care (no room in the budget for raise/promotion - i've asked).

i have been trying to get a new job and actively looking for positions at other companies, but i havent gotten more than 2 responses in 2 years.

^^^ that shit also gets to me. everything is to be done online with job searching and whatnot, yet they don't take the time to send out a "thank you for inquiring about the position at (insert company here), etc." email.

I am well aware of the "it's not what you know, but who you know" speech, but this is just getting to be ridiculous.

/monday bullshit rant
That's the way it always is... I have worked a s**t-ton of jobs, but NOT ONE is willing to match your true potential and always shoves you into the crappiest positions or stuff that even a 5 year-old can do and I'm getting so sick of it... I'm bilingual and even speak a bit of Spanish, I have a huge technological background going back to winning an award in middle school and even owned a repair company... But I've been fighting an uphill battle finding a tech-related job that matches my skills and I've either had to settle for crappy jobs that has nothing to do with technology and barely keeps my bills in check, or it was a miserable environment where I got even lower pay and the boss was a micromanaging bunghole...

Whatever happened to the positions where you are almost guaranteed at least $50K/year with full benefits, or the jobs that have the work philosophy of Google where you can do your work but also like lounge or have fun at work... Instead of willingly submitting yourself to a dystopian environment that is like Nineteen Eighty-Four meets war-torn Iraqi building where your boss is watching over your shoulder or spying on your computer, refuses to turn on the AC and uses "natural lighting" when there hardly is enough and you even trip over things, and loves to micromanage everyone...
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #259
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
That's the way it always is... I have worked a s**t-ton of jobs, but NOT ONE is willing to match your true potential and always shoves you into the crappiest positions or stuff that even a 5 year-old can do and I'm getting so sick of it... I'm bilingual and even speak a bit of Spanish, I have a huge technological background going back to winning an award in middle school and even owned a repair company... But I've been fighting an uphill battle finding a tech-related job that matches my skills and I've either had to settle for crappy jobs that has nothing to do with technology and barely keeps my bills in check, or it was a miserable environment where I got even lower pay and the boss was a micromanaging bunghole...

Whatever happened to the positions where you are almost guaranteed at least $50K/year with full benefits, or the jobs that have the work philosophy of Google where you can do your work but also like lounge or have fun at work... Instead of willingly submitting yourself to a dystopian environment that is like Nineteen Eighty-Four meets war-torn Iraqi building where your boss is watching over your shoulder or spying on your computer, refuses to turn on the AC and uses "natural lighting" when there hardly is enough and you even trip over things, and loves to micromanage everyone...
Interesting, I've actually never had a job like that. Now I'm only in my early 30s but still. I have had shitty jobs where I was bored, however I have never had one of the crazy maniac bosses.

I was close at my last job which was a transitional job for only like 3 months but even that wasn't half as bad as some of the shit I hear from other people about their bosses.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #260
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

When you are eating chips and dip and the chips breaks off in the dip and then you try to scoop out the chip with another chip and that one breaks too
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #261
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
When you are eating chips and dip and the chips breaks off in the dip and then you try to scoop out the chip with another chip and that one breaks too
Or conversely when you have extra flat chips with extra runny dip!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #262
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Interesting, I've actually never had a job like that. Now I'm only in my early 30s but still. I have had shitty jobs where I was bored, however I have never had one of the crazy maniac bosses.

I was close at my last job which was a transitional job for only like 3 months but even that wasn't half as bad as some of the shit I hear from other people about their bosses.
I once had a boss who insisted your desk was set up just like his. Pens and pencils in the same place. Files in the same order, even your Autocad desktop had to look like his. He took micro-managing to a whole new level.

My job now is awesome. I do so many different things every week it's hard to keep track. This week we're setting up to film some chemistry experiments for educational videos. I'll be shooting stills while the video guys capture all the fun. The head chemist has promised us some "vigorous" chemical reactions. Should be fun. I'm also setting up remote sessions between our psych profs and two local hospitals with rural satellite offices.

Last week we were working on bringing the virtual desktops online, among other things. The week before that I was involved in planning out a new degree program. Next week I'll be at a conference for our online learning software.

I love the constant change of projects. Keeps things interesting.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #263
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post

BINGO!

I couldn't agree more.

I do concept art and have went from the new guy when I started, to the one that everyone comes to for help with stuff, yet there is no room for advancement or a raise... so what's in it for me? I have been building my portfolio and only doing the amount of work I deem necessary reflected upon my pay, and I have told the art director and director of operations about it.

There are jobs in my area and even in the city doing the exact same thing as I do now, that pay anywhere from double to triple what I make starting out, but yet I can't get anyone to give me the time of day for even a phone interview.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #264
Benedict1957
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionJim View Post
BINGO!

I couldn't agree more.

I do concept art and have went from the new guy when I started, to the one that everyone comes to for help with stuff, yet there is no room for advancement or a raise... so what's in it for me? I have been building my portfolio and only doing the amount of work I deem necessary reflected upon my pay, and I have told the art director and director of operations about it.

There are jobs in my area and even in the city doing the exact same thing as I do now, that pay anywhere from double to triple what I make starting out, but yet I can't get anyone to give me the time of day for even a phone interview.
^ Jim, you can't be doing that bad if you're driving an M3
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread