BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

View Poll Results: What Transmission did you pick and why?
DCT ordered with other options then waited for delivery 83 35.62%
DCT from dealers lot with other options I was looking for 35 15.02%
MT ordered with other options then waited for delivery 73 31.33%
MT from dealers lot with other options I was looking for 42 18.03%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

09-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
On your car what Transmission did you pick and why

I've checked this forum to see if the question has been asked before or a pool issued, I found nothing (if it has been asked then I am sorry for repeating the question and this simple poll).

I read some place ...

Quote "New M3's on lot: ~95% DCT / ~5% MT"

and

"E9x M3's owned by forum loving, car enthusiasts, M enthusiasts: ~50% DCT / ~ 50% MT" End of Quote.

Let us see how many members here have picked one or the other transmission and if you have a few minutes tell us why.

UPDATE AS OF OCT 4, 2011 Looks like the DCT fellows have a VERY SLIGHT EDGE on the 6MT FELLOWS 50.6% TO 49.4% ...ALSO INTERESTING TO NOTE RESULTS OF THIS POLL SHOW THAT CLOSE TO 67% ORDERD THE CAR AND 33% OF THE FELLOWS FOUND THE CAR ON THE DEALERS LOT ....

HMMMMM .... VERY INTERESTING as mumbled by John Banner in the funny TV show Hogan's Heroes

Someone from the 3 Series started a Poll Here ---> Looks like in the 3 Series Forum the MT fellows have it

Looks like this poll has slipped to page 2 of this forum ... does that mean that only 233 are M3 drivers? Just an observation on my part ...

What you think?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-04-2011 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: UPDATE added before the poll closes today :)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

E90 M3-Picked DCT because its awesome and more importantly my wife cannot drive stick shifts.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
collinsdan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 7/4/11 build

I picked a manual transmission because it's awesome and my wife can't drive a stick shift
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

E90 M3-Picked MT because its awesome and more importantly my wife can drive stick shifts.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
E92 DCT because it adds significant horsepower..........

/sarcasm
      09-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
M3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3,911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I've checked this forum to see if the question has been asked before or a pool issued, I found nothing (if it has been asked then I am sorry for repeating the question and this simple poll).

I read some place ...

Quote "New M3's on lot: ~95% DCT / ~5% MT"

and

"E9x M3's owned by forum loving, car enthusiasts, M enthusiasts: ~50% DCT / ~ 50% MT" End of Quote.

Let is see how many members here have picked one or the other transmission and if you have a few minutes tell us why.
I consider manual transmission as a driving philosophy
I never owned an automatic because I consider it introduces some kind of neutering with respect to driving experience.

Especially on an M3, it would be inconceivable to own anything else other than a manual.
But for the case of DCT ONLY I would make an exception and I recognize that
many will buy it because of its perfect shifting algorithm that questionably
can be achieved in manual by only a select group of driving individuals.

The rest of the population that has automatic is because the culture introduced
it to them in such ways
and they can't do otherwise in case they don't know manual and they still
wana taste the M3.
(or they are not willing to learn a manual.)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Well I picked my 6MT it was at the dealers lot (after making a cross Canada search) and it had a few options I was looking for also the price was right.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
M3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3,911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
E90 M3-Picked MT because its awesome and more importantly my wife can drive stick shifts.

whata wife!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
6MT because I like three pedals
      09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
blublur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 (Indiv MCB) E92 M3 6MT

E92 M3 - MT and my husbnd can drive it too. We've been driving them for years.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
I consider manual transmission as a driving philosophy
I never owned an automatic because I consider it introduces some kind of neutering with respect to driving experience.

Especially on an M3, it would be inconceivable to own anything else other than a manual.
But for the case of DCT ONLY I would make an exception and I recognize that
many will buy it because of its perfect shifting algorithm that questionably
can be achieved in manual by only a select group of driving individuals.

The rest of the population that has automatic is because the culture introduced
it to them in such ways
and they can't do otherwise in case they don't know manual and they still
wana taste the M3.
(or they are not willing to learn a manual.)
Very well put and I do agree, My first new car (a VW Beatle) was a stick shift then my first BMW (e28) was a stick shift also. I did drive a e46 m3 for almost 7 years with a SMG transmission and it was great. Then my e92 had to be a MT again I simply prefer it.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Before this turns into another DCT vs. 6MT thread, I'm going to attempt the (possibly impossible) task of summarizing the main points that have surfaced out of the countless times this discussion has been had in one form or other.

The main appeal of DCT seems to be (in no particular order):
- DCT is drivable by people who can't drive stick, which can help with wife acceptance factor, for example.
- DCT shifts faster, more precisely, and more consistently than any human ever could, which means more people can go faster with less effort in a car so equipped. If you're the type who likes to get in a car and have it go as fast as it can in your hands, then the fact that DCT lets you flick a paddle to always pull off a fast and perfectly executed shift might make DCT the choice for you.
- DCT has no risk of grinding gears, money shifts, burning out the clutch, etc.
- DCT is a remarkable piece of engineering. Some people just enjoy having a piece of interesting cutting edge technology.
- DCT has Launch Control.
- DCT is more livable in bumper-to-bumper traffic when there isn't really an opportunity for driving enjoyment.

The main appeal of 6MT seems to be (in no particular order):
- It saves you $2900 on a new purchase.
- People who can't drive stick can't drive it, which gives some owners peace of mind since it keeps their cars out of the hands of others who might otherwise ask.
- It requires more effort to operate and more practice to master, which some enjoy for the challenge. If you're the type of person who enjoys being more involved in the drive and finds it rewarding to work at something and reap the benefits of your efforts in the form of getting more out of the car as you keep practicing rather than having a computer just do it perfectly for you, then 6MT might be for you.
- 6MT is easier and cheaper to repair. DCT was originally sold as a sealed unit and was only replaced, never repaired, though I'm hearing there have been some field repairs now. Either way, out-of-warranty costs for DCT could be quite high especially if the only option is complete replacement.
- 6MT is based on tried and true technology, which means reliability is fairly certain, whereas DCT is still new so its long-term reliability is still an unknown quantity. 6MT also doesn't have to deal with being controlled by a computer, which is another point of failure and which caused DCT to have some lag issues early on before a software fix was released.
- 6MT may not be around much longer, so some people want to get it while they can.

Lastly, as a GENERAL statement (read: not universal) from reading various threads here it seems that the vast majority of the 6MT crowd chose 6MT because they were passionate about it, whereas the DCT crowd has a decent representation of people who went DCT for reasons like "Eh, it was on the lot / easier to drive / more practical / drivable by others", etc. I've seen very few 6MT people say they picked it because "Eh, it was cheaper / in stock / easier to repair".

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-21-2011 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I started falling asleep with automatics cause the lack of movement
Once I switched the manual, I was constantly active in the car shifting up and down and etc... kept me awake
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayM View Post
E92 M3 - MT and my husbnd can drive it too. We've been driving them for years.
Good for you Congratulations, wish my wife would think like you

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
GeoXP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 - Space Grey - ZCP

DCT. Wife cannot drive a stick, but even if she could, I probably would have gone with this. Faster shifts...It's the future...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
filetitan
VANOS!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poofyo101 View Post
6MT because I like three pedals
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Before this turns into another DCT vs. 6MT thread, I'm going to attempt the (possibly impossible) task of summarizing the main points that have surfaced out of the countless times this discussion has been had in one form or other.

The main appeal of DCT seems to be (in no particular order):
- DCT is drivable by people who can't drive stick, which can help with wife acceptance factor, for example.
- DCT shifts faster, more precisely, and more consistently than any human ever could, which means more people can go faster with less effort in a car so equipped. If you're the type who likes to get in a car have it go as fast as it can in your hands, then the fact that DCT lets you flick a paddle to always pull off a fast and perfectly executed shift might make DCT the choice for you.
- DCT is a remarkable piece of engineering. Some people just enjoy having a piece of interesting cutting edge technology.
- DCT has Launch Control.
- DCT is more livable in bumper-to-bumper traffic when there isn't really an opportunity for driving enjoyment.

The main appeal of 6MT seems to be (in no particular order):
- People who drive stick CAN'T drive it, which gives some owners peace of mind since it keeps their cars out of the hands of others who might otherwise ask.
- It requires more work to operate and more practice to master. If you're the type of person who enjoys being more involved in the drive and finds it rewarding to get more out of the car as a result of hard work and practice rather than having a computer just do it perfectly for you, then 6MT might be for you.
- 6MT is easier and cheaper to repair. DCT was originally sold as a sealed unit and was only replaced, never repaired, though I'm hearing there have been some field replacements now.
- 6MT is based on tried and true technology, which means reliability is fairly certain, whereas DCT is still new so its long-term reliability is still an unknown quantity.
- 6MT may not be around much longer, so some people want to get it while they can.
That was and is not the intend of this thread, let us simply make our mark in the poll and check the percentage

Thanks for your learned comments I am sure we are all aware of them. After all we all appreciate a fine automobile just like yourself and that is why we drive one of the best cars mankind has developed

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I originally had a 1M on order, which is of course manual-only. So, I mentally committed myself to a 6MT. I state this, because I know how to drive a stick, and know how much fun that can be.

But, when the 1M didn't work out, and I could choose transmission type in the M3 that I ultimately ordered, I went with the DCT with zero hesitation. DCT makes the car easier to drive faster, for me. I've owned MT cars before. On occasion in the past, I have felt like I'm working too hard to get the car to do what I want it to. You can call me a bad MT driver, I don't care. The DCT gets me the same effective results, with less mental/physical work, and there is no chance of making a mistake, especially if you're really pushing the car.

Plus, I like the technology. I don't care about being "old school", or purist. I want easy, fast, and fun. DCT gives me all of that.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
blublur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 (Indiv MCB) E92 M3 6MT

I'm not saying it about any wives on here, but when I here women in general whine that they can't drive a stick kinda makes me sick. Oh please. It just takes practice and the desire to learn. They don't know what they're missing. The most fun driving they can imagine!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm not saying it about any wives on here, but when I here women in general whine that they can't drive a stick kinda makes me sick. Oh please. It just takes practice and the desire to learn. They don't know what they're missing. The most fun driving they can imagine!
If you aren't passionate about driving, I don't see why you would want to make driving more complicated.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
I think a lot of women (and men) might be a bit intimidated learning to drive a stick via an M3. What else can they practice on? I'm sure I know 50 people who would let me drive their car, and only one has an MT, that I'm aware of. They are just really rare these days.

BTW, me and Mrs. SamS can both drive a stick just fine Actually, I drove a relative's 1series 6MT and loved that thing! It actually made me realize that a BMW would absolutely be my next car.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #22
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

manual cause its what they have at the dealer... bought my car for 43k with 1k miles on it..... this was 2 years ago... LOL... dont ask me how.. i put 15k down...

i was going to order but for the price... cant beat it... i dont think anyone can... LOL