BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #23
shrimp_chips
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 ZCP

If you can wait..Evolve has a sweet-looking setup coming out. Personally, I'm waiting for the release before I pull the trigger.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670025
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
VF > ESS because from my understanding if you upgrade the ESS, the plenum has to be changed also. With VF kit, the the 540 and 620 use the same plenum.
We designed our manifolds to be sealed for a couple reasons. First the size of the cooling core we use on our VT2 kits does not allow for a slide in application. If we would have gone this route our cooler would have had to have been reduced in size and that simply was not an option. The second reason is we felt better having a sealed manifold design and not one that could be exposed to pressure leaks with a removable door or tray. Is it a little more work to upgrade? sure you have to exchange the VT1 manifold for a VT2 when you upgrade but we feel confident that our design allows for max power and cooling with min boost levels on this motor.

Performance and reliability are always a top priority and as you can see in the latest EAS dyno shootout our non intercooled VT1-535 kit held up pretty darn good to some of the much higher rated stage 2 intercooled kits.

ESS VT2-600 550 whp

ESS VT2-600 514 whp

VF 620 484 whp

VF 620 479 whp

ESS VT1-535 464 whp

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
VF > ESS because from my understanding if you upgrade the ESS, the plenum has to be changed also. With VF kit, the the 540 and 620 use the same plenum.
We designed our manifolds to be sealed for a couple reasons. First the size of the cooling core we use on our VT2 kits does not allow for a slide in application. If we would have gone this route our cooler would have had to have been reduced in size and that simply was not an option. The second reason is we felt better having a sealed manifold design and not one that could be exposed to pressure leaks with a removable door or tray. Is it a little more work to upgrade? sure you have to exchange the VT1 manifold for a VT2 when you upgrade but we feel confident that our design allows for max power and cooling with min boost levels on this motor.

Performance and reliability are always a top priority and as you can see in the latest EAS dyno shootout our non intercooled VT1-535 kit held up pretty darn good to some of the much higher rated stage 2 intercooled kits.

ESS VT2-600 550 whp

ESS VT2-600 514 whp

VF 620 484 whp

VF 620 479 whp

ESS VT1-535 464 whp

THIS !
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #26
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Love the dyno wars Lol Wish more guys were down to play and have a little friendly fun instead of letting a dyno number attempt to do the talking too bad I can't make the air strip event to see some of these numbers in action
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #27
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

OP.... It sounds like you are more show than go anyways. Wanting 20" wheels and more power under 4000rpms and all. :

If you are going to drive the M3 like a M3 then go for the S/C and enjoy the added power all the way to redline. There are people that will back each S/C company and I'm backing ESS as I had it on my E90 M3 and loved the added gobs of power. Both ESS and VF offer an upgrade option if you want more power later, but I'm not site about G-Power. However, look at the power that the ESS entry-level kit is putting down. You'd have to upgrade the VF entry level kit just to compete with the power the ESS-535 kit is putting down. Just sayin!

At any rate there are plenty of guys on this forum to set up some ride-alongs, so meet up and test em out!

Anyone with a S/C entry level kit can hook this member up with a ride-along?

GTS
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #28
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
OP.... It sounds like you are more show than go anyways. Wanting 20" wheels and more power under 4000rpms and all. :

If you are going to drive the M3 like a M3 then go for the S/C and enjoy the added power all the way to redline. There are people that will back each S/C company and I'm backing ESS as I had it on my E90 M3 and loved the added gobs of power. Both ESS and VF offer an upgrade option if you want more power later, but I'm not site about G-Power. However, look at the power that the ESS entry-level kit is putting down. You'd have to upgrade the VF entry level kit just to compete with the power the ESS-535 kit is putting down. Just sayin!

At any rate there are plenty of guys on this forum to set up some ride-alongs, so meet up and test em out!

I am sure he meant he wants more low end grunt from the M3. Most people I know wish the same, that want more of a grunty Corvette like V8 and a centrifugal S/C will not do that for you.

Adding the 20" wheels will not really benefit you in your goals either (also depending on the wheel..)

I would recommend you to check your ECU Software version and make sure you are up to date. Having the latest ECU software can provide substantial gains especially in low end torque and part throttle driving if you are really out of date. Some people gain anywhere from 15-25whp and similar torque.

You will have to reload ESS software if you are doing an ECU update to a new software version.

That being said, if you want to go S/C then those 2 companies are good. Active makes a good product too which has a lot of mid range torque and power. Evolve is also releasing a kit soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERKE View Post
Salut Alex; alors heureux avec ton 535?
ouiiiii, meilleur achat a vie, a part dla M3!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #30
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Quote:

first i know wheels wont help depending on the weight specially 20s im not a fan of 20s always go with 19s but IF DTM just look awesome..

on the other hand i want more torque down low for city driving i know all superchargers would give good power for the track at the high end but this wont help in the city. anyways i know its a lost case getting power down low and hey im not complaining i was just asking for some input and if maybe a supercharger would make a difference.... im pretty sure no one with or without a supercharger would keep driving their car on public roads while keeping the car in high rpm all the time especially if you have a loud exhaust plus ppl would think you can drive (been asked countless times if it was V6).

back to the point if i was going to pick a supercharger from the list now i would say ess is my first pick price wise and power. after all they sold the most kits out of everyone like 60+ if not more (read it in a forum) as for evolve's one i hear great thing about their product and customer service so maybe by next summer they will have their kit out.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #31
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

heres the like for the rims they are for sale http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722794
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #32
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
I forgot to mention stroker kits. Check VAC out, they'll have one for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

I have both a VF540 and VT1-535 in the shop as we speak, and a VT2-600 kits ready to be installed. However, we are in Southern California.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #34
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post

Slide in core designs provide for a dynamic installation as Heavy manifolds do not need to be shipped back and forth especially for overseas owners and you do not have to wait for 4 days of added shipping to your installation time.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=VF540+EAS

Manifold core size or air charge blow by is not a concern with designs that are engineered with these factors in mind from the outset.

The dyno plot showing the VF620 performing 484whp is misleading because the vehicle was experiencing an issue which was corrected the following week and put down over 520whp on the same dyno (EAS) just a few days later - just wanted to clear that up.

Thanks!

Custom VF-intake manifold w/slide-in air:water heat exchanger

This is a dyno of the performance you receive with our Entry-level system:

VF540 STD Correction

Thanks to tom and EAS for all these dynos and pictures!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #35
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

ESS is proven in many ways for example power , reliability , longevity ( 100k+ miles on my own personal kit ) ease of install & customer service ! Here's the kicker ... Over 350+ kits installed with no reported major failure

Why look further..... Wishfull shopping always turns out bad and you end up kicking yourself in the ass

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #36
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post
Slide in core designs provide for a dynamic installation as Heavy manifolds do not need to be shipped back and forth especially for overseas owners and you do not have to wait for 4 days of added shipping to your installation time.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=VF540+EAS

Manifold core size or air charge blow by is not a concern with designs that are engineered with these factors in mind from the outset.

The dyno plot showing the VF620 performing 484whp is misleading because the vehicle was experiencing an issue which was corrected the following week and put down over 520whp on the same dyno (EAS) just a few days later - just wanted to clear that up.

Thanks!

Custom VF-intake manifold w/slide-in air:water heat exchanger

This is a dyno of the performance you receive with our Entry-level system:

VF540 STD Correction

Thanks to tom and EAS for all these dynos and pictures!
Two seperate VF cars were dyno tested at the event. Are you saying both VF620 kits that were dyno tested that day were having issues? One dyno tested at 484 whp and another at 479 whp.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #37
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Two seperate VF cars were dyno tested at the event. Are you saying both VF620 kits that were dyno tested that day were having issues? One dyno tested at 484 whp and another at 479 whp.
Yes. The 2nd car has yet to be examined. We do know it had Challenge X-pipe and primary cats which we have not tested.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #38
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
im currently full bolt on...> full dinan intake system with air scoops, challenge sport x-pipe with mesitershaft gt2, evosport pulley, and ess custom tune for 94 oct and primary cat delete.

so im think of supercharging entry level so ess 535, vf 540 (looks promising), or even g-power kit. i know all the kits are like kinda the same. but which one would you pick and why.

i want something that will improve the performance on the street coz as u all know our car doesnt have any power under 4k

keep in mind my car is a manual

should i go with a supercharger? or its not going to improve the power down low. if thats the case i guess ill spend the money on some nice concave (20" Interad Forged DTM-10) and some more cosmetic stuff
I was in the SAME boat as you (6spd). I had ALL the bolt's and got a little bored and needed something else.

I was debating which SC company to go with as well, but I decided on VF Engineering because all the support that they gave me. I wanted to do the VF540 kit because of the value, but since I track the car so much I went with the VF620 kit and I love it! I'll be track testing the unit this saturday and at buttonwillow on the 20th. If you need some feedback or any help PM me or call me anytime 949-241-5623.

Last edited by joe@trinityautosport; 10-03-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #39
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Love the dyno wars Lol Wish more guys were down to play and have a little friendly fun instead of letting a dyno number attempt to do the talking too bad I can't make the air strip event to see some of these numbers in action
I hear ya...I can't wait till the air strip Did you sign up already?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #40
CalSE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I ran the low 484 whp that day. I had VF Engineering's shop look into my set-up the following week, and re-ran another dyno test thereafter at about the same weather condition at EAS......Attached is my new 521 whp run!
dyno.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #41
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///E-Rod/// View Post
I ran the low 484 whp that day. I had VF Engineering's shop look into my set-up the following week, and re-ran another dyno test thereafter at about the same weather condition at EAS......Attached is my new 521 whp run!
Attachment 759384
NICE! Good meeting you that day. I'll see you at Buttonwillow
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #42
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///E-Rod/// View Post
Attachment 759384
What did they change?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #43
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
There's been plenty of Vbox, 1/4 mile and sbs racing video's to know what the kits can do.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #44
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5
Quote:
There's been plenty of Vbox, 1/4 mile and sbs racing video's to know what the kits can do.
As you know my man, many companies have been updating products, tunes and so forth.... As well as more and more members getting forced induction added to their cars. All sorts of variables come into play in an actual race.....
Appreciate 0