BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

01-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #45
lookitsma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
I also run winter tires here in the Northeast, and they certainly have better traction than summer tires at low temperatures, even in the dry. But I've been surprised by just how slick the roads can be when running proper winter tires in wet conditions and 35-40 degrees F. Not ice or black ice, but just wet. Especially with this relatively neutral/tail-happy car.

I think you're right, Jae. At least that was my impression when I spun last summer on track in my DCT car and slid backwards for a bit on pavement. The car kept running, didn't stall, and didn't throw any error codes. Here's proof. The action happens around 1:06:

Excellent. You'll love it. Very fun and educational, and very worthwhile.
I cringed when I saw you head for the tires. Glad to see you made it unscathed.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #46
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Glad you are safe!

Can't believe you guys are giving the OP such a hard time.
      01-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #47
lookitsma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Doesn't matter what you do when you spin out, car should still not go into limp mode.

Limp mode should NEVER happen. Period.

I had an issue like this years ago in my E60 M5. Was in an open lot playing around and it didn't like my sliding. Didn't throw me in limp mode but got DSC malfunction and a few other errors.

Read the codes and see what they are. A generic scanner may not do the trick.

Battery resets do not clear codes on these cars in most circumstances.

Radio codes are not needed on these cars either as the certificates in the navigation system ensure that the unit will not be fully functional in another car without additional tweaking.

Sometimes sensors get freaked out in extreme circumstances. It's not normal if it keeps happening though, there was a specific reason for the faults being thrown. Sometimes older software is more prone to these "glitches".

Be careful OP.

Hope this helps.
It is semantics at this point but I'd just like to add in that going into limp mode is also a safety feature to preserve the engine, no? While throwing the car off its axis and the car shutting down may also be a different safety feature, I thought going into limp mode does a similar job at limiting power in order to save the engine from a total malfunction. I think this is why there was a bit of confusion.

Also, I did not know about the navi and radio codes. Though I wonder what the case is for owners without the premium package and don't have the iDrive system. Regardless, I learned something new today.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #48
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsma View Post
I cringed when I saw you head for the tires. Glad to see you made it unscathed.
+1, that was a bit scary!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #49
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You posted "Ok so seems m3an had it correct that its a DSC type fault as opposed to engine..but it will through that fault code"

And I was just saying that I was unsure if you were referring to an engine fault code or DSC fault code with your use of 'that'.

Semantics at this point. It's not that it will throw a code if you spin out. It might and theoretically should not without extreme circumstances.

Codes scanned through the OBDII Port will be OBD II generic and will normally not show ANY DSC faults, unless you are using a specific tool designed for BMW bus systems and control units.
The OP stalled the engine due to spinning out while in gear. He admitted as much, then he got "some" error code, (we dont know if it was limp mode, or DSC code) but a code nonetheless.

The OP stated he spun around almost two times..I would certainly consider that "extreme circumstances"

I never stated that every spin out will cause a code to appear, but when you spin out and induce an engine stall due to reverse movement of the crank it does throw a code.

Not sure what BMW/Generic scanner has to do with whats being discussed here.

Last edited by Vic311; 01-03-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #50
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
It sounds like you just found out how poor of a driver you are. No offense but if the DSC has saved you that severely in the past, it's time for some driving lessons from a qualified instructor. I've worked with a lot of drivers in a similar situation, and it sounds well needed. You got a lowered redline indicator due to the difference in wheel speeds. Similar to some dyno situations.
+2
Appreciate 0