BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

09-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Defensive driving and on probation

as the title says, what is the relationship between both?
i have a ticket and i want to know about this stuff
      09-20-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

you mean offensive driving and probation?

that didnt make much sense

whatever it is your probably screwed though
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: aw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
as the title says, what is the relationship between both?
i have a ticket and i want to know about this stuff
well in Texas, if you got a ticket and you haven't took defensive driving within the past 12 months, then I would recommend you on taking that.

By doing either one, you are trying to get it off the record. With defensive driving, like mentioned before, you can only do it once a year. By selecting defensive driving, all you got to do is take a 6hr class on driving safety, pass the test, and give your certificate to the court. Then you're done and the record will be dropped or more like not counted against your records. So if you done it before, then you can't really do this option and may have a chance of doing the other one.

Probation (Deferred Judivication; sp?) laws have changed in the past couple of years. All it really is, is that you declare, "no contest" and request for deferred judivication and they give you a number of months where you're on "probation". Usually last up to 3-4 months. Within those month, you cannot get another moving valiation or else both tickets will end up being on your record. Also, if you are under a certain age, 25 I believe?, you have to take defensive driving as a requirement on top of deferred. So that's why I said that if you haven't took defensive driving yet, take that first because once you do deferred, you can't really take defensive driving as an option any more.

So when most people get a ticket, they usually take defensive driving first, then if they get another one within the same year, they decide to take deferred. Hope that helps and g/l with your ticket.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
well in Texas, if you got a ticket and you haven't took defensive driving within the past 12 months, then I would recommend you on taking that.

By doing either one, you are trying to get it off the record. With defensive driving, like mentioned before, you can only do it once a year. By selecting defensive driving, all you got to do is take a 6hr class on driving safety, pass the test, and give your certificate to the court. Then you're done and the record will be dropped or more like not counted against your records. So if you done it before, then you can't really do this option and may have a chance of doing the other one.

Probation (Deferred Judivication; sp?) laws have changed in the past couple of years. All it really is, is that you declare, "no contest" and request for deferred judivication and they give you a number of months where you're on "probation". Usually last up to 3-4 months. Within those month, you cannot get another moving valiation or else both tickets will end up being on your record. Also, if you are under a certain age, 25 I believe?, you have to take defensive driving as a requirement on top of deferred. So that's why I said that if you haven't took defensive driving yet, take that first because once you do deferred, you can't really take defensive driving as an option any more.

So when most people get a ticket, they usually take defensive driving first, then if they get another one within the same year, they decide to take deferred. Hope that helps and g/l with your ticket.
thanks alot, gonna get the ticket sorted out today and ask if i can take the defensive driving. was 104 on a 65
      09-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
went and asked to get it defferred it should be below 90. 104 is too fast for both. had to pay $289
      09-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
went and asked to get it defferred it should be below 90. 104 is too fast for both. had to pay $289

you did not use the "I have a weak bladder" excuse
      09-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks alot, gonna get the ticket sorted out today and ask if i can take the defensive driving. was 104 on a 65
Quote:
WTF...you left out a big part there...

104 on a 65??? that's almost 40 over...and it's 3 digits!!!...I must say, $289 doesn't seem too bad right now...You're lucky that you didn't get slap with jail time or anything..isn't it a felony to be doing 3 digits in Texas now??

But I myself left off an important part as well...in order to do defensive driving, the speed posted can only be 24mph or less over the speed limit, then to do deferred, it can only be 25mph or less over the speed limit...Just to clear up any misinformation for future references.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post

should have said that there was somebody stalking/chasing after you and you got afraid

or that when you saw the cop behind you, you tried to speed up and get out of his way thinking that he was after somebody, but for some reason, everytime you switched lanes, he did the same thing too!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

35 in a 20.
I got Deferred for 90 days I think, without having to take defensive driving.

-Nathan
      09-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote:

the funny thing is what you said was true. he asked me whats the rush and i told him i don't feel well. looked at me for 3 seconds and said 'need to use the restroom right?'
      09-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
35 in a 20.
I got Deferred for 90 days I think, without having to take defensive driving.

-Nathan
you sure? in your profile it says that you're 18, I'm pretty sure that you had to...I was forced to when I was 20, so I would probably check on that before they DQ you at the end because after your term, you're suppose to bring the defensive driving certificate to the court as well.

Out of curiousity, did you take defensive driving in the pass year or something?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #12
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

All these houston members....when are we all going to have a meet?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #13
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
you sure? in your profile it says that you're 18, I'm pretty sure that you had to...I was forced to when I was 20, so I would probably check on that before they DQ you at the end because after your term, you're suppose to bring the defensive driving certificate to the court as well.

Out of curiousity, did you take defensive driving in the pass year or something?
I was 17 at the time. My mom had one of her friends speak to their attorney, and got me on deferred. My first ticket, I did of course have to pay the ticket though. (If you think that I didn't) This was just so that it wouldn't show up on my record. I've never taken defensive driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399 View Post
Party at my house!??!? heh..
Doubt I will ever meet any of you, as I am still living with my parents in La Porte.

-Nathan
      09-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #14
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399 View Post
dude stop hijacking

still dreaming of a Big size houston meet
      09-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #15
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote: