BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

12-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #463
BOOstJunkee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Turbo/335awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post

And sorry but yes, as a guy who likes to mod his cars I see the S55 as a weakness, for me sound and performance are really important, and eventhough you can get a lot of power from the S55, it does'nt sound as good as a $80k sport car should and it does'nt put the power to the ground well, it just delivers too much torque too low in the RPM for a RWD/front engine car. But in all honesty, give me AWD and a great sound and I would'nt mind owning the M4(that's why I'm very intersted in the next RS5) but the lack of these two very important things(on top of all the other smaller things) makes it clear that it's not a car for me. I also own a 400hp/400tq Evo and there's simply no way I could see myself driving it hard without AWD, I can only imagine what 550hp/600tq would be like. LOL Simply pointless IMO.
Some people actually like 600+whp rwd cars. Like the guys with turbo e36 and e46 M3s.
I don't understand how you say the performance of the S55 is a weakness. You drive a Vt1 is it? S55s are beating your performance on stock turbos. You want to put power down, get some better tires.
Sound is subjective. So you can have that I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #464
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOstJunkee
Quote:

And sorry but yes, as a guy who likes to mod his cars I see the S55 as a weakness, for me sound and performance are really important, and eventhough you can get a lot of power from the S55, it does'nt sound as good as a $80k sport car should and it does'nt put the power to the ground well, it just delivers too much torque too low in the RPM for a RWD/front engine car. But in all honesty, give me AWD and a great sound and I would'nt mind owning the M4(that's why I'm very intersted in the next RS5) but the lack of these two very important things(on top of all the other smaller things) makes it clear that it's not a car for me. I also own a 400hp/400tq Evo and there's simply no way I could see myself driving it hard without AWD, I can only imagine what 550hp/600tq would be like. LOL Simply pointless IMO.
Some people actually like 600+whp rwd cars. Like the guys with turbo e36 and e46 M3s.
I don't understand how you say the performance of the S55 is a weakness. You drive a Vt1 is it? S55s are beating your performance on stock turbos. You want to put power down, get some better tires.
Sound is subjective. So you can have that I guess.
I understand some people wants all out performance and I respect that but power is not all I'm looking for, if it was the case I'd have at least started with a VT2-625.

What I found the be the weakness with the S55 is the way it delivers the power and the way it sounds, not that it does'nt make enough power. I don't care if it beats my VT1, those engines to beat my VT1 needs a lot of boost and runs out of breath at ~5500RPM, and they sound wack. Also traction would be a big issue outside of the highway, at least here in Quebec. Now the S55 is not a totally bad engine, it has some good points to it, like bottom end torque for daily driving, but they're easily shadowed by the specialness of the S65.

Not everyone is building a car for runway racing, but I can admit that if I was, I'd probably start to consider the M4 with Pure turbo upgrade making +600whp from ~5300rpm to ~7200rpm, which is VERY impressive, but I'm not. I just want a special car that go relatively fast and sound damn right awsome to have some fun when the weather is good. My car is probably very close in performance to a stage1 F8x and that's as far as I would go with the S55, anything pass that has a ridiculous power drop after 5500rpm(on stock turbos).

Overhall, to achieve the performance I want/need, I really feel that the S65 is a much better choice, and the lower entry price is a big bonus! Hope I awnsered all you questions!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 12:48 AM   #465
BOOstJunkee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Turbo/335awd

Quote:
I understand some people wants all out performance and I respect that but power is not all I'm looking for, if it was the case I'd have at least started with a VT2-625.

What I found the be the weakness with the S55 is the way it delivers the power and the way it sounds, not that it does'nt make enough power. I don't care if it beats my VT1, those engines to beat my VT1 needs a lot of boost and runs out of breath at ~5500RPM, and they sound wack. Also traction would be a big issue outside of the highway, at least here in Quebec. Now the S55 is not a totally bad engine, it has some good points to it, like bottom end torque for daily driving, but they're easily shadowed by the specialness of the S65.

Not everyone is building a car for runway racing, but I can admit that if I was, I'd probably start to consider the M4 with Pure turbo upgrade making +600whp from ~5300rpm to ~7200rpm, which is VERY impressive, but I'm not. I just want a special car that go relatively fast and sound damn right awsome to have some fun when the weather is good. My car is probably very close in performance to a stage1 F8x and that's as far as I would go with the S55, anything pass that has a ridiculous power drop after 5500rpm(on stock turbos).

Overhall, to achieve the performance I want/need, I really feel that the S65 is a much better choice, and the lower entry price is a big bonus! Hope I awnsered all you questions!

Good stuff. As they say, different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #466
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
just so you all know you are all getting banned for talking bad about the new m3/4...lmfao
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #467
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Sounds like its not the S55 you dont like its the turbos.

The exhaust is easy to change. Everyone changes the e92 exhaust too whats the big deal?

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #468
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Sounds like its not the S55 you dont like its the turbos.

The exhaust is easy to change. Everyone changes the e92 exhaust too whats the big deal?

Quote:

No, it's really the S55, more specially the sound that dissapoint me very much, but also the fact that it's a huge torque monster when modded and the car is only RWD. I just prefer the idea of a +8000rpm V8 in a car like that, easier to put the power down and much more intoxicating experience when you play in the revs. But there is a trade off, the delivery of a turbo engine is better suited for daily driving, but my M3 is not really a daily anymore so...

That said, I have nothing against turbocharged engines, that's what I've been driving all my life and always enjoyed them, I've had a tuned GTI 1.8T, two B5 A4 1.8T with gt28rs, a FBO TT225, stg2 09 STI and I presently own a 400hp Evo X MR as a beater, the S65 is kind of my first real N/A engine, so it's not the turbo that I don't like.

When there will be a car that check all my boxes, I'll consider it, even if it's turbo, but the M4 dissapoint me with the look, the sound and also with the way it delivers and puts down the power(when modded), so I can't see myself swapping my old M3 that I love in everyway for one of those. Also I don't think it's the exhaust that is the problem with the M4, it's really the engine that sounds bad, we've already eard many set-ups on the F8x and none seem to amaze me, even the N54/N55 sounds better with the cheapest cat-backs!

Here's how a turbo 6cyl should sound like IMO, the B5 S4, my dream car when I was youger, my friend just bought this one. Deep and rich sound off boost and lots of shhhhhhhhh on boost :

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #469
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, it's really the S55, more specially the sound that dissapoint me very much, but also the fact that it's a huge torque monster when modded and the car is only RWD. I just prefer the idea of a +8000rpm V8 in a car like that, easier to put the power down and much more intoxicating experience when you play in the revs. But there is a trade off, the delivery of a turbo engine is better suited for daily driving, but my M3 is not really a daily anymore so...

That said, I have nothing against turbocharged engines, that's what I've been driving all my life and always enjoyed them, I've had a tuned GTI 1.8T, two B5 A4 1.8T with gt28rs, a FBO TT225, stg2 09 STI and I presently own a 400hp Evo X MR as a beater, the S65 is kind of my first real N/A engine, so it's not the turbo that I don't like.

When there will be a car that check all my boxes, I'll consider it, even if it's turbo, but the M4 dissapoint me with the look, the sound and also with the way it delivers and puts down the power(when modded), so I can't see myself swapping my old M3 that I love in everyway for one of those. Also I don't think it's the exhaust that is the problem with the M4, it's really the engine that sounds bad, we've already eard many set-ups on the F8x and none seem to amaze me, even the N54/N55 sounds better with the cheapest cat-backs!

Here's how a turbo 6cyl should sound like IMO, the B5 S4, my dream car when I was youger, my friend just bought this one. Deep and rich sound off boost and lots of shhhhhhhhh on boost :

When you say "we've already heard" do you mean you heard shitty sound clips on the internet? My MPE sounds great in person.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #470
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Lmao, so much justifying going on here.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #471
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

When you say "we've already heard" do you mean you heard shitty sound clips on the internet? My MPE sounds great in person.
Yes I meant sound clips, but I also eard the MPE in real life, I bought one from IND for a friend of mine and was'nt blown away by it, my friend either, I'd even say he was very disapointed by the sound of his new $100k car + 6k exhaust!

his car with MPE:

my car with MPE+test pipes:

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #472
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
As for those F8x running ultra aggressive tunes with race gaz that can run low 11s, well they make about 100hp less at 7000rpm then what they make at 5000rpm, and they make so much torque in the middle range that they have a hard time putting the power down till 4th gear, if that's the kind of powerband that you're interested in, well go for it, personnaly the combination of diesel powerband with lawn mower sound does'nt fit the description of what I'm searching in an M car.
Thank you. Same thing will happen when people start upgrading the turbos. You will get massive power, and commensurate throttle lag and traction challenges. That Pure Turbo chart is the first one I've seen that really caught my interest. That would be a sweet airstrip car.

Last edited by modkrazy; 12-23-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #473
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I meant sound clips, but I also eard the MPE in real life, I bought one from IND for a friend of mine and was'nt blown away by it, my friend either, I'd even say he was very disapointed by the sound of his new $100k car + 6k exhaust!

his car with MPE:

Put some downpipes on his will sound much better and be more fair. MPE on e92 without an x pipe or test pipes is pretty underwhelming too.

Anyone who paid 100k for an m3 or 6k for mpe needs to work on thier negotiation tactics. I paid thousands less for my MPE. And lets not pretend MPE is cheap on the E92.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #474
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
Quote:
As for those F8x running ultra aggressive tunes with race gaz that can run low 11s, well they make about 100hp less at 7000rpm then what they make at 5000rpm, and they make so much torque in the middle range that they have a hard time putting the power down till 4th gear, if that's the kind of powerband that you're interested in, well go for it, personnaly the combination of diesel powerband with lawn mower sound does'nt fit the description of what I'm searching in an M car.
Thank you. Same thing will happen when people start upgrading the turbos. You will get massive power, and commensurate throttle lag and traction challenges.
In fact, the Pure turbo upgrade seems to give a much nicer power band to the S55 then with stock turbos running aggressives tunes, the power curve stays flat till almost redline insted of starting to drasticly fall at ~5500RPM. Personnaly, I'd rather have that even if it means a little more lag.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #475
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Sounds pretty badass IMO. $3k for full system
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #476
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In fact, the Pure turbo upgrade seems to give a much nicer power band to the S55 then with stock turbos running aggressives tunes, the power curve stays flat till almost redline insted of starting to drasticly fall at ~5500RPM. Personnaly, I'd rather have that even if it means a little more lag.
Real tunes are coming for the S55. I expect much better results over the piggy back solutions.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #477
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

his car with MPE:

Put some downpipes on his will sound much better and be more fair. MPE on e92 without an x pipe or test pipes is pretty underwhelming too.

Anyone who paid 100k for an m3 or 6k for mpe needs to work on thier negotiation tactics. I paid thousands less for my MPE. And lets not pretend MPE is cheap on the E92.
Don't forget we are in Quebec, the M4 starts at 75k with no options and there's a 15% taxe so it's not so hard to bust 100k, also the best price my friend got for the MPE was at the dealer where he bought the car and it was ~7k so it's still a decent deal at 6k.

As for the downpipes, I'm sure it's just going to get louder, not really better if you ask me, it's just not a sound that is very pleasing to ear, no matter the intensity IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #478
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Sounds pretty badass IMO. $3k for full system
If it was a $30-40k car I'd probably say yes, but in this range of price, I have no choice but to be dissapointed by the sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #479
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it was a $30-40k car I'd probably say yes, but in this range of price, I have no choice but to be dissapointed by the sound.
A $5000 fox body mustang with $300 flow masters sounds better than an e92. You should trade in considering how much you match price to sound as the key factor to car worthiness.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #480
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
A $5000 fox body mustang with $300 flow masters sounds better than an e92. You should trade in considering how much you match price to sound as the key factor to car worthiness.

Louder? Maybe. Better?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #481
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

penis.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #482
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Louder? Maybe. Better?
Yes better. And IMO not even close. Old school 5.0 have always sounded amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #483
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sound is not the key factor for me, it's just an important one, just like styling, performance and price point. In case you've already forgot, the E92 has many things going for it(specially with a blower), not just sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #484
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Louder? Maybe. Better?
Yes better. And IMO not even close. Old school 5.0 have always sounded amazing.
They sound good, but amazing? Better than an E9X with exhaust? I don't think so.