BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

06-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
My2010M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW DCT FR E90

Audio failure

So I've just turned 15k. Today, when I start my car, the gong and sat radio get mixed and just like that, no audio. No hands free audio, no gong, even when I remove my seatbelt. All info is displayed as usual, no codes, no nothing and no audio. Everything else seems normal. Can't say I've read about anything like this! Hate going to the dealership. Any ideas what's up?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2010M3 View Post
So I've just turned 15k. Today, when I start my car, the gong and sat radio get mixed and just like that, no audio. No hands free audio, no gong, even when I remove my seatbelt. All info is displayed as usual, no codes, no nothing and no audio. Everything else seems normal. Can't say I've read about anything like this! Hate going to the dealership. Any ideas what's up?
Check your battery. This happened to me not long ago..there is a thread on this very problem that I added to about 7-10 days ago. Do a search for it..

I had my iPhone plugged into the jack while I parked the car for a while. That's when it happened to me. Charged the battery and the problem went away.

Good luck!
      06-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Registering a "no warning tones" error on startup on your idrive screen? It's only on startup and is in grey.
Did you reset the battery?

If yes to both: Amp is blown.
      06-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Registering a "no warning tones" error on startup on your idrive screen? It's only on startup and is in grey.
Did you reset the battery?

If yes to both: Amp is blown.
Either this is the case, or something on the most-bus network is down because of a module malfunction, power/ground issue, beak in the fiber optic lines.

You should pull the fiber lines down from under the drivers kick panel, disconnect it from the terminator, and see if you have the red light on. If not, something is going on with the most bus or a component connected to it.

Low battery voltage can certainly cause this, as stefan suggested I would perform a battery reset first.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
My2010M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW DCT FR E90

Wow! Not sure about low battery. Screen still has all info displayed. But there is no audio from either hands free or stereo. Always kept the car on a charger in the winter and never really turn stereo up that loud. I'll search a little more, but it sounds like a trip to the dealership for me. SAD!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Wow! Not sure about low battery. Screen still has all info displayed. But there is no audio from either hands free or stereo. Always kept the car on a charger in the winter and never really turn stereo up that loud. I'll search a little more, but it sounds like a trip to the dealership for me. SAD!!!
Check what was mentioned above before going to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Charge your battery before going to a dealer...The system begins to lessen load on battery when it senses a decline in charge. One of the first things it shuts down is exactly what you're describing...
      06-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Hope you get this fixed soon. Look on the bright side though. If you had a new M5 you would no longer be able to hear your engine until you got the stereo fixed. So it could be worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
Mjolnir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Le Mans Blue ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Hope you get this fixed soon. Look on the bright side though. If you had a new M5 you would no longer be able to hear your engine until you got the stereo fixed. So it could be worse.
It would suck to have to manually make the vroom vroom sounds.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
First gremlin with the audio.

I was playing some music on the way to dropping my daughter at day care. After dropping her, started the car and no sound whatsoever. I can see the tracks playing, navigation, bluetooth ... all functioning fine but no sound. Repeatedly switched off and switched on the car whilst at traffic lights to no avail.

After work returned to the car and everything is working fine. Audio is back. The best part during the morning gremlins was that no warnings whatsoever.

My September '07 car had the CIC implant recently thanks to Patryk and BimmerTech. I don't think the install had anything to do with this, I presume, the total shutdown of the amp.

Can anyone shed any light to this. I initially thought it was a fuse or a blown amp. It was a huge relief when it all worked fine in the evening.

My biggest concern is whether the amp is on its way out?
      08-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3
First gremlin with the audio.

I was playing some music on the way to dropping my daughter at day care. After dropping her, started the car and no sound whatsoever. I can see the tracks playing, navigation, bluetooth ... all functioning fine but no sound. Repeatedly switched off and switched on the car whilst at traffic lights to no avail.

After work returned to the car and everything is working fine. Audio is back. The best part during the morning gremlins was that no warnings whatsoever.

My September '07 car had the CIC implant recently thanks to Patryk and BimmerTech. I don't think the install had anything to do with this, I presume, the total shutdown of the amp.

Can anyone shed any light to this. I initially thought it was a fuse or a blown amp. It was a huge relief when it all worked fine in the evening.

My biggest concern is whether the amp is on its way out?
I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago on my way back from the track.

Was listening to music and then all of a sudden silence from the speakers. Audio from radio, satellite, snap-in, cd player, and cic hard drive would play, but couldn't hear a thing. Tried resetting the iDrive twice while driving with no luck.

I could faintly hear the ringing from Bluetooth calls, and the navigation voice instructions worked fine. Continued driving and an hour later when I returned home I turned the car off. Turned it back on and it was like it never happened. In my case I was in extremely hot temperatures of 100 degrees and the car was parked in the sun all day when it wasn't getting pounded on the track. Not sure if related but I suspect it may be as this has never happened in 4 years of ownership. Not standard practice for my car to be in such conditions.

I had a discussion with my dealers shop foreman about it and we agreed that it was a momentary glitch and not necessarily a sign of pending failure. Happened to his 335 at one point as well. I haven't had the issue return so far, but haven't driven the car for a few weeks as I'm overseas.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. It's not uncommon for little things to pop up here and there on bone stock (and even brand new) cars. You'd all be surprised if you saw the number of puma cases on new cars for all sorts of different issues.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Thanks Mike. It was a cold morning, if not I would have put it down to hot weather. At least it is great to discuss on the forum and clear one's head. Cheers and good luck.
      05-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
inthefight
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Try this
This morning my tire pressure loss light came on
I pulled over
Turned on Hazard lights
Got back in
Turn off hazard lights
Drove off with the Tire pressure light still on
Got up to speed
Lost all sounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stopped at air station
Turned car off then back on
Still no sounds
Got to work
Restarted car
no sound
Went to the office to research issue
Went to the car after it sat for an hour to check tire
No sound
Went back to research again
Came back with more things to try
Still no sound
Prayed about it again
Started looking for a new amp
Started looking for a new car
Went back to the car to look at the amp
Still no sound
But then.
I disconnected the battery
Waited about a minute
Connected it back
SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanked God!

These were my other symptoms. head unit fan blowing, no Bluetooth connect, everything seemed to work but sound, loud spark when battery disconnect, 57 degrees F when sound stopped after 15 minutes of driving. The day before I Played the stereo loud for a few minutes. Played an MP3 disk for the first time. Connected my phone to the aux jack for the first time. Tested the DCS in the parking lot. Take an idea Leave and Idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #14
joshhhua.__
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335xi

no gong, no sos light, no sound at all

HELP!!

hey everyone! I have a 2008 bmw 335xi
I was driving one day and all of the sudden my audio completely stopped working. I have checked the fiber optics and they all work up to the front of the car. I have disconnected the battery and let the car reset and checked all the fuses. still no sound and I have zero clue what it could be. I have no sound even with the seatbelts off and if I leave my key in the car. I also charged the battery and it read full because I read the car could have gone into power conservative mode. any info would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0